Things You'd Change, Popular or Unpopular

Tigers6884

The Look-Up Line should be implemented in every professional hockey league. It just makes too much sense.

It is gaining some ground at rec league and college rinks, but I don't see it hitting the NHL or minor leagues without a couple of influencers getting involved.

I'm not sure it needs to be safety orange for the professionals, but it's a really good idea.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Look-Up Line should be implemented in every professional hockey league. It just makes too much sense.

It is gaining some ground at rec league and college rinks, but I don't see it hitting the NHL or minor leagues without a couple of influencers getting involved.

I'm not sure it needs to be safety orange for the professionals, but it's a really good idea.

Yeah I've never seen that before, but it seems harmless to the game and maybe could prevent a couple injuries every year. Seems like a no brainer... but yeah - maybe not orange.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I changed the title because lately we've had a plethora of "what would you change?" and "unpopular opinions" and other threads of that ilk pop up and clutter the board up, so us mods decided to merge them all into one thread and I tweaked the title so that it should be obvious what this thread is for.

Carry on.

VmWIn6B.png

Reduce NFL regular season to 14 games. 6 games against division opponents. 4 games against a division within the same conference. 4 games against division from the other conference. Same yearly rotating schedule in place for the out of division games that's used now.

Eliminate Thursday night NFL games.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

A mod, by editing the original post, because he felt like it.

Ding ding ding.

Seemed like two totally different thread topics to me, the unpopular opinions and "what would you change" topics. Meanwhile, the discussion on victimless crimes took over the Sam thread and was left alone. And a mod edited a guy's post to take down the picture(s) of championship rings, which I believe wasn't part of the established rules. (While annoying as it is to scroll past these pictures, he wasn't doing anything wrong.)

Looks like the new mods are basically playing around with their new-found powers. It's more annoying when the results of their tinkering have me re-reading the same posts and having to find where the interesting, hot-button topic was relocated to. Also looks to be a lack of consistency.

Less is more, new mods.

No overtime in any sport. If neither team can beat the other team in regulation, then neither deserves the win.

So by that logic if the Super Bowl is tied after regulation they should just stop playing and there is no champion, because neither deserved to win.

A mod, by editing the original post, because he felt like it.

Ding ding ding.

Seemed like two totally different thread topics to me, the unpopular opinions and "what would you change" topics.

As LMU said there's been a glut of similarly styled threads lately. We're just cleaning things up a bit. Many of the "What Would You Change" threads veered into Unpopular Opinion territory, and vice versa.

Meanwhile, the discussion on victimless crimes took over the Sam thread and was left alone.

The conversation there went off the rails as soon as Ray Rice became the centre of the discussion (I believe it went Michael Sam->Ray Rice->Victimless Crimes->Ray Rive via Stephen A. Smith). Clean ups aren't going to be perfect, and in this case the conversations took a few weird turns.

And a mod edited a guy's post to take down the picture(s) of championship rings, which I believe wasn't part of the established rules. (While annoying as it is to scroll past these pictures, he wasn't doing anything wrong.)

The mods have a right to step in when a thread is derailed by certain kinds of posts from a particular user joining a conversation that was running along just fine previously.

Looks like the new mods are basically playing around with their new-found powers. It's more annoying when the results of their tinkering have me re-reading the same posts and having to find where the interesting, hot-button topic was relocated to. Also looks to be a lack of consistency.

Less is more, new mods.

It's not a case of new mods coming in and running wild. These sort of things are discussed before action is taken, and the new mods are outnumbered by the established mods. If we suggest something and that gets voted down, then it doesn't happen.

The current strategy isn't perfect. If a thread is split in two I'd like us to leave a post in the original directing users to the new thread. If a thread is merged or renamed we should probably inform the OP why that was done so there are no questions. Transparency is always a good thing.

That being said, the strategy can be improved. Not abandoned. We don't need three threads essentially occupying the same discussion space.

Archived