Things You'd Change, Popular or Unpopular

Tigers6884

Japanese baseball >>>>> MLB

Now here's an unpopular opinion! I most certainly do not agree with you, but I think Japanese baseball can sometimes be a better spot than the minor leagues to look for future MLB prospects.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB Not too unpopular here (though definitely unpopular among all baseball fans), but I hate the conflation of the two leagues. Get rid of interleague play, and go back to having two different umpiring crews, commissioners, etc. Let the AL and NL be just that - different leagues.

Football: I actually enjoy the CFL's small size. 10 teams would be more practical than 9 for scheduling, playoffs, and the like, but aside from that, I don't want any more teams. That way you could play everybody twice - once at home and once on the road. None of this NFL nonsense where you have 16 games to play 31 different opponents.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I enjoy college football MUCH more than NFL football. Oddly enough, this doesn't translate over to Basketball as I hate college basketball until about Mid-February.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I don't know if I'd say 'boring', but I often find that I get "football'ed out" by Sunday.

Other than the Georgia football game (which includes listening to the pre-game while cooking...and post-game until it's time to take callers), I'll usually watch one of the noon games, one of the 3:30pm games, and whatever primetime/night time games are on. By the time Sunday comes, I'll watch the Falcons game, but other than that, I'm kinda done with football for the weekend. I'll keep tabs on the fantasy team, but I'm usually not watching much of the other NFL games.

I don't know if I'd say 'boring', but I often find that I get "football'ed out" by Sunday.

Other than the Georgia football game (which includes listening to the pre-game while cooking...and post-game until it's time to take callers), I'll usually watch one of the noon games, one of the 3:30pm games, and whatever primetime/night time games are on. By the time Sunday comes, I'll watch the Falcons game, but other than that, I'm kinda done with football for the weekend. I'll keep tabs on the fantasy team, but I'm usually not watching much of the other NFL games.

I'm pretty much the same way. I'll watch college all day Saturday, but only really watch the Pats game Sunday. I couldn't care less about the rest of the games.

This one is likely unpopular more on this board then elsewhere:

I like the shootout in the NHL and having a winner/loser (thought I wouldn't mind 10 minutes of ot first). I'd even keep the charity point since the extra points crowd the standings closer together and makes the regular season more interesting.

But, they better never ever put the shootout in the playoffs.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Off the top of my head...

• Football:
    • The Super Bowl is the most over-rated sporting event that is not a golf major.
    • I prefer the running game in to the passing game.
    • I would do away with conference title games
  • Basketball:
    • Basketball would be better without the 3-point shot.
    • I would do away with conference tournaments
  • Hockey:
    • I don't like how the officials swallow the whistles late in games/OT. Officials can "decide" a game by not making a call as much as they can by making a call
    • Regular season ties are OK and much more in line with the integrity of the standings than a shootout.
  • Baseball:
    • I hate the DH.

As for Football, the running game may be making a comeback somewhat if a team like Denver gets smashed on SB Sunday by just relying on passing.

I also agree with you about conference tourneys in basketball. Make it a title game between the top two teams in each conference like football. Not everyone should be allowed to play in a conference tourney. That is why there have been losing teams in the NCAA's in the past.

What good does arguing do other than express disappointment? I've never seen an umpire say "you know you're right, it was high. Ok, he's not out".

It can potentially get you the next call. Also it shows your players that you have their back. It can also save one of your players from getting ejected.

90758391980.gif

• Football:

I'm not sure I understand this one. What does this mean? How would you pick who goes to the Super Bowl? The conference title games are just semi-finals, what am I missing?

Pretty sure he means college conference championship games.

PJU85JF.png

• Football:

I'm not sure I understand this one. What does this mean? How would you pick who goes to the Super Bowl? The conference title games are just semi-finals, what am I missing?

Pretty sure he means college conference championship games.

Oh right, yeah that makes a lot more sense. And I agree, they kind of serve no purpose it seems.

90758391980.gif

Expand the playoffs and eliminate the P5/G5 distinction and college football would be more entertaining than the NFL.

College basketball once had a tournament of just conference champions. Now they're at 68 teams that play in the tournament. Somewhere along the way, TV viewership dropped like a rock for regular season games. Want to guess why?

A 4-team playoff is fine. It doesn't make the regular season less meaningful.

You're never going to get rid of the power vs. non-power conference distinction. The power conferences are the ones that are keeping the Sisters of the Poor conferences funded. You should be thanking the Big Ten and the SEC for subsidizing the Mountain West's asses.....

Expand the playoffs and eliminate the P5/G5 distinction and college football would be more entertaining than the NFL.

College basketball once had a tournament of just conference champions. Now they're at 68 teams that play in the tournament. Somewhere along the way, TV viewership dropped like a rock for regular season games. Want to guess why?

You're never going to get rid of the power vs. non-power conference distinction. The power conferences are the ones that are keeping the Sisters of the Poor conferences funded. You should be thanking the Big Ten and the SEC for subsidizing the Mountain West's asses.....

A 4-team playoff STILL involves opinions as to the 4.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

So.....you think the number of teams that feel that "We're #8, #12, #16, etc." will be fewer in number than those that make a claim for being #4?

So.....you think the number of teams that feel that "We're #8, #12, #16, etc." will be fewer in number than those that make a claim for being #4?

Win your conference, that will put the number at what, 9.

if DI-FCS, DII, DIII can do it with MORE than 4 teams, why can't the pros, errr I mean DI-FBS do it?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Exactly. The purpose of the playoff isn't to identify who's #4, it's to find who's #1. In college football, I can't think of too many years where there's been several claims to #1 (or even #2) by the end of the year. 4 teams is enough. It'll expand one day, and that'll have more to do with dollars than fairness.

By necessity, the playoff will involve opinions to decide who's invited. It'd be impossible to come up with balanced schedules for 125 schools while maintaining conference affiliations.

PJU85JF.png

Archived