Hand-Drawn Logos Phase 1: Sketch Dump (Final teams posted- FEEDBACK NEEDED)

Lee Noire

Good stuff. The Miami Suns are too much of a good idea. Take what you have and simplify it. I'd move away from going with literal buildings and just getting some art deco shapes and stylings to get your flavor across. TheGiantsFans' own Homestead Sun Sox is a great implementation of art deco.

But great start so far! Even though the names are very traditional-sounding, they all work together so far for a league that maybe has been around fifty or a hundred years. You can always tell a new junk sport or new from-scratch real-world league because they always have words and names that you haven't ever seen in a sports team before. Yours so far all seem like they have history, and I'd be curious to see what you can do with some vintage logos for your team, as if their original logos were done in the 30's or 50's or 70's. Check out Sparky Chewbarky's Wild League to see how he reverse-engineers vintage-looking logos.

Keep em coming.

Thanks for the critique and kind words!

That was the feeling I wanted to convey with the names of the teams, so I'm glad it comes across well. When I eventually present the full revised league in Phase Three I think I'll create more backstory for the names and their history.

I'll have to check that thread out. As far as vintage goes, my latest team, the Fiveburroughs have the most old-timey looking logo of the bunch. Check it out!

Okay, let's see...

There's too much empty gray space inside the circle. I suggest making the pentagon bigger to solve that.

I would suggest making the circle less rough, even if you don't have one of those circle drawing template things.

Otherwise, I like where you're going with New York!

And are you planning to use these for a fictional sport? These logos look very good for hockey or football, in my opinion.

I wanted to keep it close to what the old subway tokens looked like, which explains the smaller pentagon, but I can fix that. I will fix the circle too.

Yes, these are for a fictional sport. If you remember in the first post I was developing a sport but lost my vision. So I started making teams first to spark my mind again. I've since started back on it and hope to have it finalized very soon. My plan is to do this in 3 phases.

Phase one is just getting feedback on the teams. I will then take the feedback and update the teams. That's phase two. Phase 3 will be the unveiling of the league with complete team identities and league logos, playing surface, and rules.

I'm glad you said they would work for hockey, because I was going for the sweater crest look. I'm not a fan of logos that are mostly wordmarks, which why I'm a fan of NFL and NHL style logos.

Guest darkpiranha

The 5's logo is neat and I love the story behind it, but it looks like a vintage, archaic logo. I'd keep it just like you have it, but as an exercise, try to re-imagine it as a more modern logo. How would this team rebrand itself while holding on to the tradition established with the original logo?

The 5's logo is neat and I love the story behind it, but it looks like a vintage, archaic logo. I'd keep it just like you have it, but as an exercise, try to re-imagine it as a more modern logo. How would this team rebrand itself while holding on to the tradition established with the original logo?

Hmm...that's an interesting idea. I wanted the Fives to look like one of those teams that it's name and look were grandfathered in like the Lakers. They wouldn't create that today, but it has too much history to get rid of it. I do need to clean up the circle though. That is just shoddy work, not a style choice.

Yeah Kaz I see what you mean. I'll definitely fix that. Thanks.

Winnipeg Pilots:

My first of 6 Canadian teams is the Pilots. Named for the many flight operations that take place in the city. The logo is supposed to emulate the wings given to pilots in the RCAF. Also in the logo is the number 24, representing 1924, the year the RCAF was established. I think that gives the logo a nice touch of history as it represents a city so full of it.

image-7.jpg

Toronto Royals:

Moving on to the next team, the Royals. Toronto is nicknamed "the Queen City" and I wanted to do something with that. I started messing with different looks for a crown and nothing was working, but I finally came up with something.

The colors are red, purple and what is supposed to be gold, but it's more like a mix between yellow and tan. My gold pencil disappeared but I got a new one so it will look better in phase two.

image-8.jpg

Bumping for any feedback and to post the next team.

Hamilton Steelworkers:

Hamilton came pretty easy to me after I did a little research. The name comes from the city being the steel capital of Canada, and the logo comes from the city's place as the center of the region called the Golden Horseshoe. I literally put the chain link(that represents Hamilton's steel culture) at the center of a horseshoe. It's a bit on the nose but I think it works. This one is really rough and needs to be tightened up.

image-9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been away from this for a bit but now I'm back to finish Phase one. I'm just going to finish dumping out the last sketches and any feedback on these or the ones already posted would be appreciated. On to the logos!

Vancouver Millionaires:

This is the one I'm most sketchy about. The name isn't very inspired, but I went with it because it has that old timey sound that I'm going for and it does have some history in that city. The logo borrows that wing pattern from the Seahawks for some Pacific Northwest flair, and a rectangle shape to mimic a dollar bill. That might have to change though, because I see comparisons to the Roughriders coming up.

image-10.jpg

Ottawa Capitals:

Named for the city being the Capital of Canada. It's on the nose but it works for me. The logo is the iconic Peace Tower with the colors taking a cue from the local NHL team. Pretty straightforward on this one.

image-11.jpg

Montreal Internationals:

This felt like a unique name that had that old feel as well as being relevant to the city itself. Montreal is diverse, at the forefront culturally, a prime location for international events, and the hub for entertainment, commerce, and world affairs. The logo itself is rather simple but I think it's use of multiple colored flags gives off that international feel.

image-12.jpg

As I mentioned before, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I want to get these logos cleaned up and get rolling on the uniforms/presentation. Thanks guys.

Archived