Long Beach State drops "49ers," emphasizes "Beach"

Still MIGHTY

The Baseball team is called the Dirtbags?!

Yes. And they always have been for their hard dirty style of play. As far as the name change, I'm "eh" on it. As someone who lives close to the school and has always followed them, to say that no one one referred to them as the 49ers is incorrect. The "youth" of today does not (25-30 years old and under). It was in the past 15 years that for whatever reason the school stopped using "49ers". I remember back when the school colors were brown and gold and they were the 49ers. I'm not saying this is bad, I'm just ambivalent about the move. I'll still refer to them as the 49ers or the Beach. What I like about this, is they are trying to get away from going back to "Long Beach State" and that I like because it goes back to when they were brown and gold. Again it was about 2000 when they went from Long Beach State to Cal State Long Beach which I hated. I like the "LB" and "the Beach", I'm just not really a fan of dropping the 49ers. What I'd love to see them do, is go back to brown and gold. I figured one of the reasons they went to black and gold was to standardize the colors since you could have many versions of brown.

1) They're not trying to get away from "Long Beach State"

2) How many versions of brown do Wyoming, Lehigh, and Brown use? Why couldn't Long Beach just select one and publish it in the style guide?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Sounds like it's more of an "FC" kind of thing. Long Beach FC, except for all sports. Long Beach Athletics

That's just stupid.

Reminds me of the Stanford Cardinal and Syracuse Orange.

What, you dropped the team's nickname and now identify it as the color of the uniforms? What's next, the Tulane Green and Chicago's pro teams become the Chicago Black and Chicago White?

87Redskins.png

Looks fitting for a school probably riddled with surfer stoners. Not a bad identity change, as I'm sure the university was more attached to the "Beach" identity than the "49er" identity.

Not sure about these days but historically 75% of the UC and CSU system was populated by surfer-stoners. Just look at the campus locations and you can get a good idea of the potential of such a rich tradition.

With that being said UC system likely occupies some of the best and most expensive real estate in the country. Some of the campuses could easily be converted into 5 star resorts.

I kinda hate whole "the beach" branding. It sounds nothing like a sports team or even a university. If you at least brand it as "Long Beach" it seems to actually reference a specific place, instead of just an abstract beach.

I just don't understand why they don't brand all of their teams as the Dirtbags. Especially considering what little sense it makes to have a school in California call itself the 49ers.

And yes, they need to drop this black and gold charade and go back to their real colors. I'm looking at you too, Western Michigan.

I just don't understand why they don't brand all of their teams as the Dirtbags.

And I don't understand why you would have one team with a different nickname than the rest. That's as silly as the University of Montana and it's official school colors - along with its "spirit colors."

Regarding the revised interlocking "LB," while it looks better without the cut in the "B" it looks like the upper horizontal line of the "B" is thinner than the bottom horizontal line. Makes the whole package seem off and unbalanced.

If you read correctly, they're not getting rid of the 49er name, they just aren't emphasizing it. The media will still call them the "Long Beach State 49ers" officially, but if you were to go to a basketball game at LBSU, they'd just refer to themselves as "Long Beach State" or "The Beach". They're not entirely getting rid of the "49er" name.

The LB logo was never good, but it's better now than it was.

I just don't understand why they don't brand all of their teams as the Dirtbags. Especially considering what little sense it makes to have a school in California call itself the 49ers.

And yes, they need to drop this black and gold charade and go back to their real colors. I'm looking at you too, Western Michigan.

What? California is the only state where it would make sense to have teams named the 49ers.

Dirtbags is not appealing to any sport besides baseball especially women's sports.

If you read correctly, they're not getting rid of the 49er name, they just aren't emphasizing it. The media will still call them the "Long Beach State 49ers" officially, but if you were to go to a basketball game at LBSU, they'd just refer to themselves as "Long Beach State" or "The Beach". They're not entirely getting rid of the "49er" name.

The LB logo was never good, but it's better now than it was.

What? California is the only state where it would make sense to have teams named the 49ers.

Except there's the little matter of that football team in the northern half of the state. I'm pretty sure that if I referred to the 49ers even in SoCal, most people would assume I'm talking about San Francisco, not Long Beach.

Frankly, I'd like all mid-majors who share their names with NFL teams to change them. As big a media juggernaut as the NFL is, you're just begging for branding difficulties when you're not in a position to afford them.

Dirtbags is not appealing to any sport besides baseball especially women's sports.

College sports are full of eccentric nicknames that would seem weird if they were proposed today (Volunteers, Tar Heels, etc.).

If you read correctly, I mentioned that the branding guide states that "When referring to the Department of Athletics at Long Beach State, all journalists, media outlets, and other public mediums must use the following monikers to describe its student-athletes, coaches, programs, history, and overall department: Long Beach State, The Beach, LBSU, and Dirtbags* (*Baseball only)"

So, no, the media won't refer to them as the 49ers. The school won't refer to them as the 49ers. Students almost never have referred to them as the 49ers.

You are right in saying that they aren't technically getting rid of the nickname, but since it won't be used by the media, by the school, by the students, on merchandise, on uniforms, or anywhere, they're basically getting rid of it. I don't know why they didn't just take the extra step and officially get rid of it, but they're getting rid of it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived