CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, Winnipeg's look is the worst so far in my book.

Again, number on the front and not a logo would help but Winnipeg should have used this opportunity to go with a gold look like this:

Pierce.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

is this hamiltons???

espwlv.jpg

same design elements as the argos and riders jerseys

just very plain.. ( and i dont nean no numbers...

u would thing black numbers with tellow trim if this was one and not a prototype

That's it. The Ti-Cats' facebook Cover Photo shows their logo in Grey. I think that is the proof in the pudding. I'd be shocked if this wasn't their Signature Jersey. I wish they would have gone for something a little more creative. The Lions are already wearing a Grey jersey and now Hamilton has to have one too. As for the RedBlacks, the plaid idea is something very unique, however, their Signature Jersey may be the worst CFL jersey I have ever seen in my entire life. In my opinion, they had a real opportunity to take this Plaid look and make something amazing and I think they failed miserably. The logo on the front, and the plaid helmet too. Ouch. The Argonauts' Jersey has grown on me a bit since they wore it on Sunday. I'm hoping that this will look better on the field as well. Now that I think about it, a black RedBlacks jersey with Plaid stripes done close to what the Ottawa Rough Riders long-used black jersey looked like would probably be very, very nice. It would also set them apart from the rest of the CFL and give them more of an identity.

I don't know if you guys remember the Ticats video I posted last year with their equipment manager discussing a "third jersey" with "black numbers on a black jersey", however it was from 2012. Have the signature looks been in prep for that long?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

xE6sQLV7.jpg

I threw up a little in my mouth. Ugggg... I just cant see this design making it past concept .. yet. Here it is!

The helmets, I can only say,

"He's a lumberjack, and he's okay..."

Sublimated suspenders would add to the effect...

I can haz sig?

xE6sQLV7.jpg

I threw up a little in my mouth. Ugggg... I just cant see this design making it past concept .. yet. Here it is!

The helmets, I can only say,

"He's a lumberjack, and he's okay..."

Sublimated suspenders would add to the effect...

I would've loved to see a more subtle sublimated plaid on the main body of the jersey, kinda like the stripes on the Blue Jackets' original set. As it is, the front doesn't even have that much black.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

From what I'm seeing on the internet, the word around the campfire is that teams didn't have a say in the jersey designs. Everything that's been released so far are purely a collaboration between Reebok and the league itself.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Reebok decided to rip off the Jaguars for Calgary. No one at that company should be allowed to touch a computer without adult supervision.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From what I'm seeing on the internet, the word around the campfire is that teams didn't have a say in the jersey designs. Everything that's been released so far are purely a collaboration between Reebok and the league itself.

Based on what we've seen so far, I would believe that. Apart from one or two very radical shifts in team appearances (e.g. Montreal Alouettes moving from red/green to red/blue in the early 70s), CFL teams have generally changed their look in a way that is very careful, incremental and respectful of team traditions. Even third jerseys haven't strayed very far from that line of thinking.

However, this Reebok signature series strikes me as a case where Reebok's B-team designers who have probably never seen a CFL game in their lives were given a week to cook up uniforms from start to finish. The BC ones look good, but every other one seen to date ranges from fail to absolute abominations.

Anytime there is a league-spearheaded Reebok redesign, no good comes of it. The big 2005 redesign was a downgrade for just about every team, and this signature series is awful too. I'm sorry to be so negative about it but it is just so bad. I wish the teams could take control over their jerseys again.

I actually don't mind this helmet. A matte black to chrome red gradient seems to be a difficult thing to do especially due to differences in paint finishes. That being said, they still haven't figured out how to make a damn gradient!!! Also, some of the streamlines don't even line up with the horse, which looks a little strange. So overall, great idea, mediocre execution.

Well the video that the Redblacks released at the unveiling would prove otherwise. The Reebok rep talks about the discussions that he had with the team regarding the design. He says that once the team found out that they had the option to put the logo on the front they knew they wanted to do it. As well, some of the executives talk about the fact that they wanted to incorporate plaid, and use red jersey. Reebok may have had a lot of suggestions, but ultimately the team dictated what they wanted.

The Bombers probably have the worst look of the ones unveiled so far. I'm not sure why they decided on ripping off the Argos with two shades of blue instead of blue and gold. Maybe they're trying to make a connection to the Jets by using their colours and a military motif. Calgary's helmets were definitely executed better than the Jaguars. The gradient looks to be a lot more gradual, but that could just be because black and red are closer in shade than black and gold. Since they're presumably wearing their signature unis on Sunday against Ottawa, I would expect the jerseys to be white.

Archived