CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

The helmet is pretty awesome. Jersey needs a better font than cheap rec league block.

I think they're trying a air force jet like number font.

Gotcha.

Hamilton's looks like a bad create-a-team uniform in Madden. Not much originality...Anyone here could have designed that based on college uniform trends, and our designer would have used a better number font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, today, I noticed that the Roughriders had a Press Conference at Mosaic Stadium and in the background, I noticed that their scoreboard had their old logo on it instead of the regular one. I think they might be wearing their throwbacks for their next home game, though I could be wrong. Aren't they only allowed to wear their new third jersey for two games and that's it? If they do wear the throwbacks, that would be awesome.

Hey guys, today, I noticed that the Roughriders had a Press Conference at Mosaic Stadium and in the background, I noticed that their scoreboard had their old logo on it instead of the regular one. I think they might be wearing their throwbacks for their next home game, though I could be wrong. Aren't they only allowed to wear their new third jersey for two games and that's it? If they do wear the throwbacks, that would be awesome.

Sask has donned their throwback uniforms for the Labour Day classic for a number of years now, not sure exactly how many.

It actually looks normal. The press release says it's supposed to be like the original third from the 90's.

This is actually better than the Stamps current jerseys IMO. Change the helmet, the pants and socks back to normal and flip the red and black on the jersey. Boom, better home jersey.

IEI5Tg1.png

Yeah, this is simple, straghtforward, and nice, even with the pants stripe gimmick. Everything about the jersey looks better than the standard home and away, and the numerals look better than the Texas Rangers' attempt at a similar style. Good work here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Was just coming to post those stamps pics :)

I don't understand why a Canadian team playing a Canadian version of the sport wants to have a Latin saying featured on this uniform but whatever.

I still don't like the wordmark on the pants (just like I said about Toronto and Ottawa) but otherwise this is pretty simple and looks fine.

Here's the article from CFL.ca

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It actually looks normal. The press release says it's supposed to be like the original third from the 90's.

This is actually better than the Stamps current jerseys IMO. Change the helmet, the pants and socks back to normal and flip the red and black on the jersey. Boom, better home jersey.

I would also like to see the shoulder logo and number switch position. Overall, this "Outlaw" jersey greatly exceeded my expectations. Number font is much, much better than what is being used on our main set.

The cool thing about the original black jersey was the fact that absolutely no one knew about them in advance. Long before teams needed to have all league approvals well in place and mass production of jerseys to be able to sell, and someone leaking things on social media, or the team trying to hype it up....the first time that ANYONE in the public even heard about them, let alone saw them, was coming out for kickoff that afternoon.

Even in warmup that day (Labour Day, 1994), they wore their reds. I was watching that day, and recall the TV pregame, who said that something may be up with the uniforms, just minutes before they were shown. First time seen, first time with black pants (with white stripes, looked proper). They were badass, and for the stale CFL, a big deal with the monochrome look.Commentators were shocked/surprised.

Stamps won the Grey Cup in them in 1998 (the jersey, pants were white that night) and then retired them, and other iterations since (mostly because they were a recolored primary, bib effect and all, or the leotard stripeless pants) weren't the same. Plus, the original ones had red numbers and letters...yes for those who care about trying to read small print and the numbers (ie TV commentators and old people) it was bad, and every version since has had white numbers, including these, but it was super cool

Even these aren't the same, but much better then the last couple attempts at the black jersey and whole uniform setup. Stripes (kind of) on the pants thankfully...and yeah, cool helmet, but the font selection makes or breaks a lot of these jerseys these days, glad to see them getting away from the ones from the regular template (just as glad the Flames did the same with the font on their alternate) and it looks good.

My bias says that the BC Lions jersey is the best of the signature jerseys (even if it ain't originally part of the program), but Calgary's is right up there. Got to see in action, but the gradient helmet might actually work with what the uniform. One thing for sure is that the Stamps should swap the number font on the regular set with this one. I also like the way the socks look on all of the jerseys, not including that little pattern on the side. I don't know, they just look good.

And if that Esks jersey is real, then hands down it is the worst. Did Reebok go: "Well, it didn't quite work out for the Oilers, maybe it'll look better on the Eskimos." The logo on front looks kinda photoshop though.

scoop on the esks fan forum is this is the eskimos one

underwhelmed is an understatement

16izdbk.jpg

Oh my. That's awful. Looks like a Walmart shirt.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Reebok did a good job with Calgary's... the 90s third jersey (which is pretty well the first third I can remember seeing in the CFL) is exactly what came to mind when I saw the picture.

The only gripe I have with Calgary's is that the colour combo is too much like Ottawa's. Calgary needs to go back to red and white with silver trim. Give up on the black already, it's not your colour.

As for Edmonton... if that thing is real, well... SMH. The Eskimos used to have one of the best looks in pro football with the pre-1995 uni sets. Simple and strong. Since then they have been obsessed with cluttering it up even more with every iteration. FGM is dead right... it looks like some cheapass thing you buy at Canadian Tire or Wal-mart.

The only gripe I have with Calgary's is that the colour combo is too much like Ottawa's. Calgary needs to go back to red and white with silver trim. Give up on the black already, it's not your colour.

The Stampeders have used black in their uniforms since 1990. Since then, Ottawa is now on their third team and even dropped the black for a couple of years in the mid nineties. We own it, not a first year expansion team with a stupid name.

I like the black pants at home with red jerseys and red helmet. The only thing missing is a red stripe on the side. I like the move to red pants on the road, but the black helmet should be retired. Not a fan of the logo used on our white jerseys either.

With our signature jersey, I would go with red pants. The new black to red helmet with the chrome horse can stay.

Archived