CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

Hamilton's playing Montreal right now on ESPN and maybe the MTL air force alts are fun conceptually but watching them on TV there's like no contrast between the elements and it looks pretty muddied. The red on the back of the helmet is the only contrast you get. Then when you see them up close they really do look like Oregon with the wings on their shoulders. Maybe the helmet could've worked with a different uniform, but altogether I think it's just a miss.

454869562_34037973.jpg

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signature Series, from "tolerable" to "horr-awful"

1. Calgary

2. Montreal

3. BC

4. Toronto

5. Hamilton

6. Ottawa

7. Winnipeg

8. Edmonton

9. Saskatchewan

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

My rankings:

1. Calgary - Nearly perfect, love the #, Helmet kinda sucks

2. B.C. - Very nice, but illegible # holds it back

3. Toronto - Nice look

4. Montreal - I don't like the helmet, monochrome look or unreadable red font for names; could be fixed up really nice

5. Saskatchewan - Too much "wheat", nice contrast in 2 shades of green

6. Hamilton - not bad, helmet is odd

7. Winnipeg - digital camo is terrible; should have some gold

8. Edmonton - Giant logo bugs me... Too plain otherwise

9. Ottawa - Plaid? Color swap of front logo is ugly

Overall I'd have preferred no same-y templates or gimmicky logo-less helmets, but for one or two-shot unis I can live with it...

Now that I've seen them all--I've decided to make some comments--I didn't just see them all, but this is the first time I've logged in here since then

FIrst off--I don't like logos on the front of a football jersey as the main visual--so I'll just get that out of the way first, so I don't have to mention it each time it was done (Although Ottawa had the worst use of the logo, which is nto a comment on the logo itself, but how it was used)

In no particular order

Calgary-while I think they looked quite good overall, I didn't like the vertical stripe on the socks, and it just isn't Calgary--I'd have preferred something more red--like if they replaced the black with red or something like that.

BC-the unis don't look bad, but the numbers need more than an orange outline--maybe make them silver or grey--or even orange--which could still be too little contrast--but an improvement

Saskatchewan--a mess--some of the ideas are okay, but the way they didn't really mesh together but looked like they were created in a blender doesn't work for me

Winnipeg--I get the military tie in, and it's an interesting idea-but it wasn't really well executed. Keep the premise, but rework it. Make the stripes different or give a bit more contrast to the non camo sections of the uni.

Hamilton--dull and confusing, especially the helmets--if they had simply put the numbers on one side of their normal helmets it would have been an improvement

Edmonton--I really like the giant EE look on the helmets--it's cool, but the unis were kind of plain, and I don't like the piping

Toronto--not a bad idea, it has some promise, but it looked a little bit too much like a certain NFL team (not an exact duplicate--just a close copy)--but with some tweaks could work

Montreal--Same as Saskatchewan--but perhaps even more so.

Ottawa--the worst of the lot--looked like pyjamas-although I don't mind the use of plaid.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

They both use the same striping, it's just that certain Steeler player wear very little on their sleeve so it gets cut off. The Argos straight up took the Steeler's striping, there's no doubt about that.

Not sure how old you are, but what the Steelers and Argos use is a pretty generic design that used to be a lot more common. The Argos don't look any more like the Steelers than the Colts look like UCLA.

And this current Argos jersey is a throwback to jerseys from their past.

Symons-60s.jpg

Which I'm sure was a striping pattern used by a lot more teams back in those days.

Now THIS is great stuff! I swear, there are so many days I wish to heck everyone would forget about skin tight this and that (yeah, yeah, I know WHY they do it) and just loosen things up a bit. No matter how hard you try, I'm not sure you can get this "classic" look with modern unis.

brace yourselves

Close but missed:

1. White instead of black pants

2. Reduce the contrast in the pattern, more like the Seahawks have done. A little goes a long way.

Oregon Ducks, meet the CFL. Whoever started all that Oregon CRAP should be on the first one way mission to Mars.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, again not using the plaid helmet

untitled_zpsc080fd52.png

according to a RB fan who posts on other cfl forums they cant get the plaid right..

personally i think it looks much better as is.. and this should be there primary uni

sans.. the huge logo replaced with numbers

Yup, again not using the plaid helmet

according to a RB fan who posts on other cfl forums they cant get the plaid right..

personally i think it looks much better as is.. and this should be there primary uni

sans.. the huge logo replaced with numbers

How can't they get it right? They did for the unveiling.

I just don't get it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived