USMNT "Continental Army" Rebrand

jujubeans

7/31/14 Update

After the energy and enthusiasm showed by American fans at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, US Soccer and Nike decided to rebrand the USMNT to capture that spirit. During the World Cup, the American side was widely praised for its determination, passion, and courage in the face of superior skills and long odds. The United States, for once, was not one of the heavyweights, but an underdog, fueled by the romantic belief that win or lose the USA wasn't going to go down without a fight. It was a mindset that hadn't been felt on American soil in over 200 years: not since the birth of the country, when 13 colonies declared independence from the largest and most powerful empire on Earth. The US Soccer Federation seized on this Revolutionary spirit and decided to make it the defining theme of the USMNT in a rebrand known as "The Continental Army."

The Crest

For starters, the old US Soccer crest was replaced by a new crest, a combination of Nike's Centennial crests and Don't Tread On Me logo, emphazing the Gasdsen snake as the central iconography of the new USMNT. The confusing triple stars were removed and the more stately USSF initials used at the top of the crest.

AvaS22j.jpg

The Home Kit

The Contiental Army home kit is essentially the embodiment of the First Navy Jack. The popular hooped design returns with Old Glory Red and Heritage Cream, representing the dignified aging of 200+ years (and taking a note from America's past-time, baseball, where cream is often used in throwback uniforms). Instead of player names, the back features the Revolutionary/USMNT battle cry "DONT TREAD ON ME," emphasizing the team and country's fighting spirit and unity which rises above the individual. A cut down version of the crest featuring just the Gadsden snake adorns the left breast and right shorts leg, with the shorts and socks being solid red. This kit sends one message: when you come play on our turf, you better be ready for one hell of a fight!

jtrmiXy.jpg

Clash Kit

If the home kit is the embodiment of the First Navy Jack, the clash kit embodies the Revolutionary soldier. The other successful USMNT, the sash, returns in this kit modeled to look like a Contiental Army uniform. The number font is intended to evoke the writing on the Declaration of Independence.

NsGyVOm.jpg

Both kits feature this logo on the inside of the neck: a ring of 13 stars (the design of the Union on the Betsy Ross flag) inscribed with part of a George Washington quote, "It is infinitely better to have a few good men than many indifferent ones" to remind the players the difference a small group of passionate, courage men can make.

T6wzw19.jpg

Thoughts and critiques welcome!

The problem with detailed jerseys is that no matter how good they look on their own, you have to imagine when you see them together as a group of 20.

These
1126472519_c02e65ba42.jpg

probably looked great on paper. Put them all together and it loses its fun.

Simplify the jersey, even moreso. I'd say get rid of the sash or the white at the bottom. I know exactly what you're getting at, and the idea is stellar...really, I can't believe someone hasn't gone continental before this, but in every setup like this, simple is best. Let the imagery speak for itself, let people infer it, and it'll work a whole lot more effectively.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I love the idea of the revolutionary war identity (although Continental army is a bit long for a nickname :D).

I like the idea of using the snake from the Gadsden flag and I like the snake that NIKE put together for their campaign, I'm not sure the USSF should be using a Nike designed logo on their crest especially if you are going to isolate it from the rest of the crest on the home uniform. I might suggest trying out a different version of the snake, maybe one closer to the original flag.

On the home jersey I would say to add some cream to the socks, either hoops or make them entirely cream as right now it feels a little unbalanced with no cream besides the logos below the waist, especially since it's supposed to be based on the old navy jack (A great idea by the way)

For the away I agree with Hockey week that it is a bit too complicated. I think the main problem is having the "jacket" opening near the waist. I'm also not sure on the number font mostly in that for me it clashes wit the font for the name.

For as damn beautiful your crest is, you really screwed up the kits in my opinion. The home kit was a really great idea in theory but it just didn't come out as great as the initial idea behind it. First off, the cream is great for a nice throwback feel, but not with the bright white that is used in your crest. Second off, if you want to just have the snake as the crest on that kit, it must be navy blue. There is WAY too much red. In addition, the shorts need to be navy as well and I would suggest that the socks be either navy or white or possibly hooped to match the shirt. Lastly, if you want a break in the hoops for the numbers, it can't be rounded and the idea of having "don't tread on me" instead if names on the back of the shirts is not one that works on a soccer kit. And your away kit has absolutely nothing going for it so I would strongly suggest wiping that whole design clean and start fresh.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The crest looks good. For the home kit I'd go with blue or white shorts. Red stripes and red shorts never looks good (i.e. FC Dallas). The socks should be white with blue and red trim or blue with red and white trim. for the aways, Either go with the sash or go with a middle stripe. Either way the sash or stripe needs to have and outline to it. I'd go with blue socks as well to make it a cleaner look. Also, use the full crest, not just the snake and ball.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I like this a lot. The clash is a bit complicated, but I still like it. You might try making the jacket opening smaller, that might make it less... distracting isn't the right word, but you know what I mean (I hope).

One thing I like about the current crest (pretty much the only thing) is that it says US, not USSF. I don't know the original inspiration, but I like that it doesn't brand itself as the soccer federation, but instead claims the United States as a whole. How would the crest look with USA instead?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

This is well-though out, well-executed, and a huge upgrade from their current kits.

A few thoughts:

I'm not a huge fan of the rounded edges on the boxes around the numbers in the home kit.

The clash kit might not look quite as good on the field as it does on paper. I agree that it might work better without the sash.

I really don't like the number font on the clash kit.

I don't like the USSF in the crest. When I first glanced at it, I read it as USSR. I agree that it would probably look better with USA.

My other nitpick is that the ball in the crest looks more like a volleyball than a soccer ball.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

You have a huge amount of good feedback here, do not waste it. The more comments you have, and the more in-depth those comments are, the more people believe in your concept, they see that your concept has real potential. I really hope you consider the comments left, assess which ones you think are valuable, and make tweaks. Always accept feedback from this board, no matter how tough, as a good thing. It's when you get no comments that it's time to rethink what you're doing.

Internet has been very spotty at home and life in general has been busy - appreciate all the comments, will post updates when I can!

Some responses to critiques though (I'm at work so I can't post updated images)

-Too much red in home kit, switch to navy shorts: I specifically tried to keep blue out of the home kit to create greater contrast between home and clash. The preponderance of red in the home was supposed to be a reference to the old semi-tradition of USMNT fans wearing red. I've changed the shorts to a cream color, but it looks bland, so I've been experimenting with different striping or other designs to improve them.

-Clash kit is too complicated: I agree, but was hoping maybe it would sort of work. The idea of aping the Revolutionary War military uniforms is what inspired the whole thing, but the execution wasn't the best. Right now I have a version that's mostly blue with a red-white-red stripe down the center to suggest the different coat layers without the weird bellbottom shape or the sash. Number and name font has been changed to match the home kits.

-Use original snake design: I agree, but this is a limitation on my ability to make a better logo. I think Nike's version is too complex, especially on the background of 13 stripes. Reducing the stripes helps alleviate this somewhat, but I like the symbolism of 13. I used USSF instead of US Soccer or USA because I think it looks more regal and I like the phrasing of United States Soccer Federation better, but I can post a USA version as well.

It's a pretty good start. I like the idea for the crest, but I feel like the snake gets lost in the red striping. Maybe a white stroke around the snake to give it some separation from the red would help. I think the USSF is fine...I don't see a need to change that. MAYBE look into a different font.

As far as the primary kits go, i really like them. A blue snake wouldn't look bad, but I don't think it's a necessity. Maybe you could make the snake bigger on both the shirt and shorts though. It looks a bit small. Also, I would look into a different sock color, or at least do something to break up all of that red. I understand the idea to really have it differentiated from the clash kit....but the solid red socks, with the solid red shorts and the predominantly red shirt is a bit much.

I like the idea and inspiration behind the clash shirt.....I just don't like it at all. It reminds me of those t-shirts you can get at Walmart that are meant to make it look like you're wearing a suit or you have a muscular chest. You said you've already made some adjustments (including the typeface for the numerals and name on back - good move). I look forward to see your changes on that one.

gYH2mW9.png

Okay, here are some updates.

The Crest

Changed USSF to USA, and simplified the snake logo a bit, including replacing the weird original volleyball with the soccer ball design from the current US crest. Also included a row showing how World Cup stars would incorporate into the crest.

S7p4KGE.jpg

Home Kit

Still not tremendously pleased with the shorts and socks on this one. Wouldn't mind ideas.

yJUSTyp.jpg

Clash Kit

Simplified this down by removing the sash and making the flare at the bottom much more subtle. Shorts updated a bit to give the impression of hanging coat-tails and socks given some detail. Name and number fonts standardized with the home kit.

ttPc68Y.jpg

The shorts with the wide stripe across the front doesn't look right to me. I'd say try to make them thirteen pinstripes but make it subtle to the point you have to look for it to see it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'd say you made the home kit worse with those shorts and socks and the away kit is probably about as bad as the first go round. I would strongly suggest going back to the drawing board on both kit designs and start fresh. I get you want these kits to resemble the "continental army" but they just aren't working realistically.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I disagree, I think you've made tremendous leaps and I like what you've done.

I think the snake logo on the home should be blue.

Why not try blue shorts for the home kit? You have so little blue, and even making them completely solid (or putting a line of stars down the sides) would look great (though I'm a hockey guy, the contrasting pants is a hockey thing. Maybe it works in soccer.)

I think you've nailed the clash kit. It's no longer a gimmick but actually a sports uniform, but it loses none of what you were going for.

Great update, though I definitely don't think any stars, championships or not, should replace USA. I'd look for a different way to integrate, but that's a minor point.

Really well done, I'm glad you kept with it.

Archived