Southland Conference Soccer by UA

GeauxColonels

I would color in the numbers on the Lamar home shirt. A black number with red outline would be good for these. As far as the away, it helps them stand out from the other conference teams so I'd say it works, even if they would wear black or red in real life.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colonels, sorry for not being able to comment sooner on UIW and Lamar.

UIW

The split home kit is a nice touch to incorporate both the primary colors on the shirt. What I would suggest is change the color of the UIW logo font and the outline of the cardinal on the home shirt from black to white. This would make it stand out more on the red half. At the moment it seems to be lost a little. Or you could just use the UIW school crest so to breakaway from Lamar Cardinals as a standout.The clash kit is nicely done with the red cross on the front and the small cross under the back collar. As for the color of the shorts on the clash kit, I would suggest black and change the sock color to red with white hoops.

Lamar

What else to say about the home kit...you can never go wrong with a gradient sash on a white top. Beautiful mate! As for the color choices on the clash kit, I actually like it. It would stand out in the conference and Lamar would make it their own. For the sock design on the clash kit, maybe take the design from the current UIW clash socks with a centered hoop, use that lime green instead of black and leave the hoop white. I think it would look a little better. I know for sure I wouldn't use that gold-yellow on the socks, it would be over kill.

As far as the away, it helps them stand out from the other conference teams so I'd say it works, even if they would wear black or red in real life.

Yeah, I know that in reality they wouldn't do that, but I like the unique look and think it's needed for a concept series like this just to give a little variety. I wouldn't have done something like that if the colors weren't in the school's official athletic color palette though.

Thanks for the comments. You too VictoriaGooner. They're all things I will look into when I go for round 2 with this series.

PLEASE keep the comments coming. I hope to see some new blood in here commenting as I really would like to hear the views of as many people as possible.

gYH2mW9.png

Not really much to say that hasn't already been said. The approach you took for Lamar is unique, but it works. I'm not sold on Central Arkansas's number font, though. I understand why you used it, but I'd either try stretching it out a little or use a similar font. That's probably just a nitpick, though. Either way, these are really good.

Not really much to say that hasn't already been said. The approach you took for Lamar is unique, but it works. I'm not sold on Central Arkansas's number font, though. I understand why you used it, but I'd either try stretching it out a little or use a similar font. That's probably just a nitpick, though. Either way, these are really good.

I'll look into stretching the numbers. One of the bad habits I have is keeping the original height and width ratio on text. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to altering that ratio. But I think it could do some good for UCA.

gYH2mW9.png

TfqcgiK.png

Next up re the McNeese State Cowboys. For the primary, I went with sort of a reverse Arsenal look with a white torso and colored sleeves. I added the thick yellow cuffs to add a bit more color to the kit. The white shorts also feature thick, blue stripes down the sides. And I chose the "M" logo on these as they will be the set most likely worn at home. The primary is paired with simple, solid blue socks. The clash kit uses the more well-known, rearing Cowboy logo. The jersey is blue with a sublimated chevron on the chest inspired by the middle of the "M" in the logo. Initially, there were no yellow cuffs on the sleeves but I decided to add them to match up with the collar. The shorts are sort of a reverse the jersey with yellow as the main color and blue cuffs. In my opinion, this is one of the kits in which the shorts are easily interchangeable. The clash socks are primarily white with a thick blue hoop and yellow topping it off. There is a thin, sublimated line through the middle of the blue hoop to mimic the shirt. The text is a western-style look, which should be self-explanatory.

Again, comments/suggestions/critiques are welcomed and encouraged. As I'm doing with the other concepts, I'll keep a list of everything in this post for my 2nd round of drafts. Thanks!

Suggestions/Comments

- Possibly swap the socks between the primary and clash

gYH2mW9.png

YsVKIp0.png

OK, well with no comments on the McNeese State kits i'll move on to the University of New Orleans. I really like the new logo identity that Joe Bosack & co came up with, especially the color palette that they implemented. On the home shirt, I wanted to include all 4 colors: gray, white, light blue, navy. I found that the most effective way to do this was with the "racing stripe" down the chest and back. I may toy around a bit with the thickness of each line, but the general overall look I really, really like. I also decided to feature the awesome new Privateer logo on the chest and shorts of the primary kit. I feel that it's the strongest mark of the branding and the mark that the university will probably turn to the most. The primary shirt is paired with simple, navy shorts for a nice balance of color. The white socks also feature the racing stripe rotated 90 degrees to be horizontal. On the clash kit, I went with a reverse color scheme - navy top, white shorts. The kit features the "NO" monogram logo from the logo set with a sublimated fleur de lis repeated and arranged into a sash. The shirt features the light blue on the collar and sleeves as I like the slight pop the navy gives to the lighter blue hue. The white shorts and navy sock also feature the light blue cuffs while the socks also use the fleur de lis pattern around the circumference, from the ankle back up to the cuff at the top. I'm not sold on the typeface at all I'm using for the NOB and numerals and will most definitely revisit that choice.

Again, comments/suggestions/critiques are welcomed and encouraged. As I'm doing with the other concepts, I'll keep a list of everything in this post for my 2nd round of drafts. Thanks!

Suggestions/Comments
- Find better typeface for numerals & NOB
- Tweak widths of color bands on the racing stripes
- "New Orleans" style font
- FDL pattern on primary shorts
- Racing stripes on the side of the clash shorts

- Limit use of the FDL pattern on the clash socks

gYH2mW9.png

Looks great, I would recommend putting the fleur de lis on the navy pants, and the racing stripe on the white.

Not sure what you mean. You mean put the FDL on the navy shorts instead of the Privateer logo? And then where would the racing stripe on the shorts go?

gYH2mW9.png

McNeese State

I wouldn't ever say anything using the reversal Arsenal top :P But in all seriousness, it's a good pairing with the home and clash kits. I myself would swap socks between home and clash as they complete clashes to one another. The typeface is spot on and I like the sublimated chevron on the clash kit. I also like the use of the two different school logos on the shirts. It's a nice way to distinguish between the two shirts. I really don't have any real negative comments on this mate. Spot on!

University of New Orleans

I again like the use of the two different school logos on the shirts, especially the monochrome NO on the clash shirt. What can't be not said about the clash shirt. The pairing of navy and white is spot on. I love the sublimated fleur-de-Les sash on the top and the same on the socks, very nicely done! The home kit has a nice feel to it, clean and simple. Good use of the racing stripe (perfect thicknesses of stripes) to break up the white shirt and incorporate the other colors. Now with the typeface. What type face are you using? Maybe use the LSU typeface (a good standby) or even better find a deep south-esc type face. Something that will say that the school is from the south.

Good job as ever

What type face are you using? Maybe use the LSU typeface (a good standby) or even better find a deep south-esc type face. Something that will say that the school is from the south.

Good job as ever

I'll have to go back and look at the typeface name. No matter, it's going to change. I wouldn't use the LSU "Geaux" font though. That would never happen down here. I'm trying to find a font comparable to what Joe Bosack used in the design package....but I may look for something a little more "New Orleans." Thanks for the idea there.

gYH2mW9.png

Use the FDL pattern that you had on the clash shirt in the home pants, and have the racing stripe go the same way that Adidas stripes go on pants.

Not sure I want to carry the elements over from the primary to the clash like that. I'm not sure it would work. But I'll try that and see how it looks.

gYH2mW9.png

I really like New Orleans' look except for the clash socks. I think using the FDL pattern through the entire sock is too much. Maybe a line or two of them would work but I don't think it does as it is currently executed.

Noted. That's one thing I thought about. Initially, I was just going to repeat the sash on the socks....but I didn't like that look at all.

gYH2mW9.png

EVQdcP1.png

Next up is Nicholls State - my alma mater. This was one of the first designs out of the group that I did, but I'm still really pleased with the simple primary kit. I sent for the classic stripe down the left side under the crest but with a slight twist - the striping is the sword from the logo. I finished the shirt off with gray accents which also carry on to the white, primary shorts. The socks feature striping to mirror the sword stripe on the shirt. The clash kit is a black top with gray striping at the bottom that gets progressively thicker until it's solid at the bottom of the shirt, flowing down to the shorts. I used a gradient on the gray striping to soften the look a bit. The shorts are solid gray while the striping on the socks is the shirt striping, inverted to complete the flow from the shirt, down through the shorts, and on to the socks. I went with the "Munich Road" typeface here as I just liked the look. No other reason.

Suggestions/Comments

gYH2mW9.png

I too don't see anything that needs to be changed with Nichols State. Good idea of using the sabre from the school crest as a stripe. That definitely separates it from other kits in Southland. And loving the gradient on the shirt flowing into the shorts and going reverse into the socks. Nice job Colonels.

I'll look into stretching the numbers. One of the bad habits I have is keeping the original height and width ratio on text. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to altering that ratio. But I think it could do some good for UCA.

As a friend once told me, to stretch a font by, say, 15% is like stretching the Mona Lisa--not a facsimile, but the actual Mona Lisa--by 15%. On a certain level, it's about one kind of artist respecting another.

rATMcmK.png

As a friend once told me, to stretch a font by, say, 15% is like stretching the Mona Lisa--not a facsimile, but the actual Mona Lisa--by 15%. On a certain level, it's about one kind of artist respecting another.

Yeah, I kind of agree with that to a certain degree. Instead of stretching a font, I typically will just pick a different one to use.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived