Southland Conference Soccer by UA

GeauxColonels

qtGSHJe.png

And we're BACK! Next up are the Northwestern State Demons from Natchitoches, LA. Although there are several orange-clad and purple-primary teams in the league, no other uses orange and purple together. For the primary kit, I had the idea of the pitchfork across the chest for a while now. Originally, I had just a white shirt with purple collar and cuffs. That looked too bland to me with the orange shorts. I threw the orange gradient on the sleeves and decided to carry the feature onto the body of the shirt as an homage to the flames in the logo. Initially, I paired the kits with purple socks, but after designing the clash kit, I figured that design would be better served by the purple. So between white and orange, I liked the orange better. For the clash kit, I took inspiration from the pitchfork itself and wanted to make it into a stripe on both shoulders. After doing one shoulder, I thought using it on both would look way too much like an Adidas top. So I left the striping only on 1 side and carried it down through the shorts and then onto the socks. I also used the inverted version of the school's primary logo (as is used on the football team's helmets) instead of adding a white stroke around the logo. The typeface (which I can't remember the name currently) is one used on the school's athletics website. I'm actually really pleased with this set. It's one of my favorites so far.

Again, comments/suggestions/critiques are welcomed and encouraged. As I'm doing with the other concepts, I'll keep a list of everything in this post for my 2nd round of drafts. Thanks!

Suggestions/Comments

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MI3YHZy.png

Next up: Sam Houston State Bearkats. I found it pretty hard to get any inspiration for this set. Not sure why. For the primary kits, I modeled the look after the football team jerseys as well as the new Tottenham Hotspur UA shirts. For the clash kits, I took the gray from the logo for the color of the shirts. I went with a basic striping pattern across the chest and onto the sleeves. That striping pattern is mimicked on the collar and socks. For the text, I went with Copperplate Gothic as it's part of the school's identity already. This isn't really my favorite, but again, I really found it hard to get inspiration for SHSU.

Again, comments/suggestions/critiques are welcomed and encouraged. As I'm doing with the other concepts, I'll keep a list of everything in this post for my 2nd round of drafts. Thanks!

Suggestions/Comments
- Add white stroke to logo on primary shirt and shorts

gYH2mW9.png

Sam Houston State:

They do look alot like their football jerseys. It's understandable trying to find inspiration from every college in the conference. Maybe try incorporating aspects of the man named after the school. He is best known for his role for bringing Texas into the USA as a constitute state. His victory at the Battle of San Jacinto secured the independence of Texas from Mexico. Houston was also the only American to be elected governor of two different States. Just a thought mate if you are trying to find a different aspect.

As for what you have now, on the away kits I would suggest centering the Under Armour logo in the hoop like the school crest.

I love the yoke on this. The logo on the home is kinda hard to see though.

Yeah, I agree. I decided against adding a white stroke as the logo actually has a gray stroke on it. But I think the white stroke would be warranted here. The other option was that I also toyed around with orange shoulders and a white torso on the primary shirt....but I preferred what I posted more.

gYH2mW9.png

• 2 weeks later...

KWvRzKq.png

Back again. Next up are the Southeastern Louisiana Lions. I decided to go very traditional with this set, going with a standard collared shirt design for both the primary and clash kits. The 2 kits are basically opposites of one another - primary being a green top and gold shorts, clash with the gold shirt and green shorts. I went with a traditional athletic striping on the sleeves, carrying it on to the socks for both kits. Everything about these kits are interchangeable which gives the team a few different looks - all of which should be unique across the conference. The typeface is a general collegiate one, keeping with the traditional look.

Suggestions/Comments

gYH2mW9.png

No suggestions to SE LA Lions kit, good use of creating the mirrored colored kits. Not all kits have to be flashy, simple works best most of the time.

I agree. I think it was easier to go with a simple, traditional look because their color scheme is so unique within the conference. With the others, in order to have unique looks, there needs to be some variety in style.

gYH2mW9.png

• 2 weeks later...

EAnL3vD.png

Down to the final 2 conference members...this time, it's Stephen F Austin. Among the number of conference schools that have purple color schemes, the Lumberjacks had set themselves apart with the inclusion of red with purple. In recent years, however, the athletics department decided to drop red altogether. The logo was modified with a beveled effect and a double-purple look. I'm tried to keep that two-tone look throughout the concept. For the primary kits, I went with a white pinstripe look with the pinstripes alternating light and dark shades of purple. The two purple tones were carried into the NOB and numbers and the UA logo on the shirt and shorts. I paired the kit with light purple socks. The clash kit features a dark purple body with light purple sash and collar. The light purple shorts were designed with the intent that they could be swapped with the white primary shorts if necessary. The white socks feature a dark purple sash across the front. I went with Civic Bold Italic for the kit typeface as it's used a bit on the team's webpage.

Suggestions/Comments

gYH2mW9.png

Archived