New Dayton Flyers Logo

JonBoy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The basketball uniforms kinda suck though. The wordmark is too plain block, then they use an old Nike template, with what-looks-to-be Arizona State's number font.

Is that an old Nike template? I thought it was a custom, unless I'm forgetting a template. It does look like it has elements of Oklahoma, Ohio State most recent unis.

Once again royal is dropped in favor of navy :(.....I'm not a fan of this, it's lacking something, just not sure what....

That is by far the worst part of the whole thing. I can't wait till navy goes out of style.

The basketball uniforms kinda suck though. The wordmark is too plain block, then they use an old Nike template, with what-looks-to-be Arizona State's number font.

Is that an old Nike template? I thought it was a custom, unless I'm forgetting a template. It does look like it has elements of Oklahoma, Ohio State most recent unis.

It might be custom, probably closest to Oklahoma. Just feels borrowed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The line separating the "D" in the logo creates a "U", as the University of Dayton is commonly referred to simply as "UD".

I love the logo, but loathe the wordmark. Too much going on. A plain old slab serif face would have worked well, but the alterations just make it look like a jumbled mess of sliced-off serifs at all sorts of different angles.

The uniforms... meh. They bug me. The only white on the navy uniforms are those cropped-off lines on the shorts. The navy and red sets need a lot more white - red/navy lacks enough contrast without outlines to make anything readable.

I like it, even though the D looks like a silhouette of Conan O'Brien's head (Seriously, hair swoop, nose, chin, it's all there.)

That's all I can see now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It doesn't work for me. I like the idea of a D with wings, but them trying to be so clever with an hidden U and F ruins the design completely. Just make it simple and clean, it's not that hard.

And does that uniform font paring with the D bother anyone else, or is it just me?

All that matters is love, love, your love...

It doesn't work for me. I like the idea of a D with wings, but them trying to be so clever with an hidden U and F ruins the design completely.

I'm seeing the U but where is the F?

Overall I don't hate it. This strikes me as something that will really start to grow on people with time. If it had been around since the 70s, people would say it's iconic. The font has a couple issues, but I think it would look much better if they continued the horizontal line all the way across the wordmark. I wish they would've played up the horizontal line motif throughout the uniform design as well.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I don't hate it. Anything is better than their previous word mark serving as a logo. I think this idea could have been pulled off better, however. And now I can't unsee Conan. The blue bars in the top left would look more like wings if each bar was slightly indented as it goes downward. Now they all angle on the same path which doesn't look very wing-like.

Archived