New College Football Playoff Trophy

ledik75

I heard someone call it the Golden Ice Cream Cone, so I'm running with that.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Crystal Ball is supposedly no more.

I'm ok with that. It looked like something your grandmother would have in a china cabinet.

Not true. It'll still be awarded by one of the other deciding groups. Like the AP or something, I forgot who is doing it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I'm ok with that. It looked like something your grandmother would have in a china cabinet.

Not true. It'll still be awarded by one of the other deciding groups. Like the AP or something, I forgot who is doing it.

I guess I am wrong, sorry. Per Wikipedia, "However, coaches were "adamant" that the AFCA trophy continue to be awarded.[6] Beginning in 2014, the trophy will be awarded to the team ranked No. 1 in the final Coaches' Poll of the season in a ceremony at that team's stadium sometime after the College Football Championship Game."

I guess I am wrong, sorry. Per Wikipedia, "However, coaches were "adamant" that the AFCA trophy continue to be awarded.[6] Beginning in 2014, the trophy will be awarded to the team ranked No. 1 in the final Coaches' Poll of the season in a ceremony at that team's stadium sometime after the College Football Championship Game."

So, however unlikely, there is STILL a chance that the final Coaches Poll may disagree with the playoff results.

I could see this coming to pass if there was a perception that the playoff selection committee didn't choose fairly and/or spread the love among power conferences. In other words, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia all make the 4 team playoff? I could see some non-SEC coaches picking Ohio State or Oregon simply on principle alone.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So basically a bunch of random trophies assigned to by a bunch of random committees based off of nothing but subjective viewpoints and flawed computer formulas. I'll respect all of this when we have a real playoff system implemented.

A bunch of different committees have be awarding championships for years. Check out the "the day after" press conference after the national championship game. I know when Auburn won in 2010, Gene Chizik had a table full of championship trophies from these different committees. I'm sure they typically just award it to the winner of the game regardless of polls and such, which I think doesn't really mean anything. Feels just like participation trophies to me.

Gene+Chizik+Tostitos+BCS+National+Champi

ojNNazQ.jpg

So basically a bunch of random trophies assigned to by a bunch of random committees based off of nothing but subjective viewpoints and flawed computer formulas. I'll respect all of this when we have a real playoff system implemented.

A bunch of different committees have be awarding championships for years. Check out the "the day after" press conference after the national championship game. I know when Auburn won in 2010, Gene Chizik had a table full of championship trophies from these different committees. I'm sure they typically just award it to the winner of the game regardless of polls and such, which I think doesn't really mean anything. Feels just like participation trophies to me.

Gene+Chizik+Tostitos+BCS+National+Champi

All of these trophies are way better than the new one. the new one I just dont get, it doesnt seem to have function at a trophy presentation.

Plus, I can't imagine this scene with a big ole torch looking trophy...

17466549_BG1.jpg

The crystal ball with all its flaws was semi functional. Thought it provided they players a cool opportunity. From a personal side, in my mind the national championship trophy is this picture...

Cam+Newton+Auburn.jpg

I'll try to hold reservations until someone wins it, and TBH I didnt think Id have a strong opinion on any trophy, but count me as not a fan.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

They're just leftovers from the days when there wasn't even a championship game. Now, the team who wins the playoff (or in the last 15 years, the BCS National Championship Game) get all of the trophies, expect in strange situations. This new trophy is just the on-field trophy that is given to the winner of the playoff.

As for the existence of multiple trophies, take Ole Miss for example. They claim national titles in 1959, 1960, and 1962. They never finished first in either the coaches poll or the AP poll. Some obscure poll ranked them #1 and gave them their trophy.

I agree with you wILL-INI, that new trophy just seems extremely difficult to do anything with on the stage. It's just going to be like a NASCAR race in Victory Lane, where the driver (in this place the coach) lifts it over his head, stands there a few seconds, then places it back down. Very tough to pass it around. Not like the Lombardi.

Speaking of that, does anyone think this trophy was inspired at all by the Lombardi?

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived