New College Football Playoff Trophy

ledik75

But even the Lobardi had the physical ball on top, and you could grip it. This one looks like its going to slide out of someones hands. Plus, say you win 4 or 5 of 'ships, these lined up will look dainty IMO.

Also, its becoming weirder and weirder to me to have all these trophies.

SabanMoore-500x268.jpg

grantlandrice.jpg

These on top of bowl game trophys, just seems like excess...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

But even the Lobardi had the physical ball on top, and you could grip it. This one looks like its going to slide out of someones hands. Plus, say you win 4 or 5 of 'ships, these lined up will look dainty IMO.

Also, its becoming weirder and weirder to me to have all these trophies.

SabanMoore-500x268.jpg

grantlandrice.jpg

These on top of bowl game trophys, just seems like excess...

To me it's the entitlement of these organizations more so than tradition with most of them. They have the power to award this trophy, so why not do it? The AP has a ton of power. We all know that. Now with polls being more meaningless than ever, they still have to have some stake in college football...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• 5 months later...

Bringing this thread back now that we've seen it in action. What did you think of the new trophy now that it's been presented for the first time?
B7NL_FfCEAEl3qP.png

Personally I think it makes a much better logo than trophy. Doesn't have the same feel as the crystal trophy. That said, it does look good. Maybe it'll grow on me as appropriate for the moment in time.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Count me out for the new trophy. Awkward shape with nowhere to hold onto it, conflicting colors with both silver and gold, as well as a goofy top-heavy proportion without a heavier base for it to sit atop. Much prefer the crystal ball. That was a classic if they kept it around.

Personally, I don't care for the new logo (looks like parenthesis) or the trophy. I did find it interesting to see that the metal part lifts up out of the base though.

Count me out for the new trophy. Awkward shape with nowhere to hold onto it, conflicting colors with both silver and gold, as well as a goofy top-heavy proportion without a heavier base for it to sit atop. Much prefer the crystal ball. That was a classic if they kept it around.

It's still around....it's the Coaches' Trophy presented to the top team determined by the Coaches' Poll....it always was. It was never the "BCS" trophy: http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=Trophy

It's now presented by Amway:

AFCA-Coaches-Trophy.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Frankly it's a bit awkward a la PGA FedEx Cup... i.e. doesn't look like it wants to be held lols.

The sloped shape itself gives me a World Series trophy vibe as well.

I'll grade it a B- for at least being a solid form.

Maybe I'm seeing some Europa in there too... Gold Cup?? I dunno... you know what I mean lols.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Frankly it's a bit awkward a la PGA FedEx Cup... i.e. doesn't look like it wants to be held lols.

The sloped shape itself gives me a World Series trophy vibe as well.

I'll grade it a B- for at least being a solid form.

Maybe I'm seeing some Europa in there too... Gold Cup?? I dunno... you know what I mean lols.

I can see what you're saying. It's not something we normally affiliate with US trophies, i.e. as realistic a picture of what it represents. But since it's designed around the logo for the playoffs it fills its role precisely. I've still heard it compared to other things beside football by people with their heads in the gutter so they could have come up with something else and kept the logo involved with the design.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Crystal Ball > CFB Beer tap/ Vape trophy.

Bringing this thread back now that we've seen it in action. What did you think of the new trophy now that it's been presented for the first time?
B7NL_FfCEAEl3qP.png

Personally I think it makes a much better logo than trophy. Doesn't have the same feel as the crystal trophy. That said, it does look good. Maybe it'll grow on me as appropriate for the moment in time.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I said this in the larger CFB thread, but I'll mention it here too. The crystal ball was better, if only for it being a trophy that could be hoisted in a unique way. It wasn't stuck on that giant base, and just looked cool to hold. This new trophy gets points for not being stuck on that base, but it looks really awkward to hold, which defeats the purpose of being detached I guess.

It's a cool design which ties into the branding of this whole playoff, so more points there. The overall awkwardness of it all keeps it from being iconic. I think if it wasn't so huge it might not seem so weird in the hands of a player. Zeke looks like he is struggling to kiss that thing.

Is the black base too heavy to lift or something? I too thought it was all one piece, which is why I was somewhat disappointed when I had seen that it was detachable. I figured they'd grab the base and lift it over their head a large the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series trophy (on my phone, so I can't post a pic; just Google it)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The thing is, how do you make a cool trophy anymore? You never see concepts for championship trophies. You see rings occasionally, wrestling belts every now and then, but never trophies.

I was thinking about this the other day, and it's really hard to design a trophy that doesn't look like the generic trophy-shop kind.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived