2014 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos

dherrera_96

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an era of experimentation in football, much like the 70s were in baseball. I think much of the "new" we're seeing these days will go out of fashion and become dated very quickly, and some of these uniforms will take their place alongside the Astros rainbow guts and the Pirates mix-n-match costumes.

I hope you are right as I dislike today's NFL uniforms more than those from any other time in the 40+ years I have watched the league.

I must confess, however, that I nostalgically miss the Pirates uniforms of the late 70's.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Was reading the Seahawks Uni History today, and came across this:

"During training camp last summer (2012), the ever-energetic Pete Carroll was pacing while watching his Seattle Seahawks practice and noticed the team lacked energy. Carroll eyed the team’s blue pants, and though it wasn’t necessarily hot, he decided to change things up.

'Let’s break out the grays tomorrow,' he told Seahawks equipment manager Erik Kennedy.

The next day the team wore gray pants during practice. The energy on the field was better, and Carroll liked the look. He filed the episode away and later during a key juncture of the season, with his team 2-2 and scheduled to wear blue jerseys in an away game against the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 7, he approached Kennedy with an idea.

'Let’s go blue, gray,' he said.

That Sunday the team stepped onto the field wearing blue tops and gray bottoms. The players liked the look, and the team won 16-12. Instant karma. The combination set in motion a season-long affair of mixing and matching the teams’ jersey and pant combinations. In some games, Carroll wanted the Seahawks in white tops, blue bottoms. In others, it was white tops, white bottoms. At home, it was blue tops, blue bottoms.

It was a process that led through the team’s surprising surge to the playoffs and will likely continue this year.
'He likes to be new and create hype,' Kennedy said. 'He likes the positive energy and what that brings when there’s a little bit of change.”

2012GrayPants.jpg
2012 Sea vs. Car Photo by Huntley Paton

"The NFL will allow teams to select the pants they want to wear on a week-by-week basis, but the league requires that teams submit to the league office the jerseys they plan to wear each week for the entire season by July 1. That requirement has led many teams to develop a system for hashing out uniform plans once the league’s schedule is released. Some teams bring their equipment manager into the process. Others consult players. Carroll does the same thing with Marshawn Lynch, Kam Chancellor and other Seahawk leaders.

'You put a camera up above the mirror, you would see guys come and look at themselves before the game. That stuff happens.' Erik Kennedy, Seahawks Equipment Manager.

In early June (2013), Kennedy, the Seattle equipment manager, sat down in his office at the Seahawks’ waterfront training facility just west of Seattle. He looked at the team’s upcoming schedule and sketched out a jersey plan for the season. Then he called in a series of players to look at it.

Safety Earl Thomas, cornerback Richard Sherman and defensive end Red Bryant all thought it looked good, but quarterback Russell Wilson made one request. He wanted the Seahawks to wear white jerseys and pants in Indianapolis because he thought it would help him identify players indoors at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Kennedy took their recommendations, tweaked the list and wrote a final jersey plan on a four-by-four white board on his wall. He wanted to get the list to the league before July 1 and felt sketching out a complete plan helped him order the right supplies from Nike for the season. The list began with the first game at Carolina. The uniform plan for that game was the same as a year ago: blue tops, gray bottoms.

Carroll came in to review the list before Kennedy submitted it to the league and immediately liked what he saw. 'That’s good,' he said, noting the plan for the Panthers.

Kennedy was relieved, albeit temporarily. He knew Carroll might change the plan sometime this season.

'I don’t know where it comes from,' Kennedy said. 'He doesn’t want to get too hung up on it and have guys thinking that it matters. But then again, if we don’t play well, he’ll probably say, ‘I want to mix that up.’”

I'm noticing the "players liked the look" part. If they like it, can't they use it more often???

Any updates on how the U of Phoenix Stadium is coming along with it's prep for the Super Bowl? Endzones?

University of Phoenix Stadium is prepped for the Pro Bowl today. Which is probably why there's not much news about it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Any updates on how the U of Phoenix Stadium is coming along with it's prep for the Super Bowl? Endzones?

University of Phoenix Stadium is prepped for the Pro Bowl today. Which is probably why there's not much news about it.

hahaha wow totally forgot the Pro Bowl is in the same stadium as the Super Bowl this season.

C'mon Seattle wear your navy/navy/silver Super Bowl Sunday. The less monochrome the better!!

180061019.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I have to say I love this look from Seattle. I'm fine it won't be worn for the Super Bowl, but it still should get used more than the 4 times in 3 years it has. I also hope one of these days they break out the inverse and go grey jersey over blue pants. It could make for some good looking color on color match ups imo.

SEAsig.png

Don't know which thread to put this in, but here's a shot of the Super Bowl field. Blue end zones for both teams, which isn't surprising.

HqSd79a.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/john_kucko/status/560226787121061888

All navy bowl. Both end zones are navy. Patriots wearing navy pants. Seahawks dressed in navy helmets, jerseys and pants............way too much navy as is most of the league now days.............................

Navy Bowl again. I think they could paint Seahawks endzone on (names according to Colorwerx) wolf grey or action green (lighter than grass) and in that way reduce navy color from the game. Optionally Patriots endzone on red.

4r2eer.png

I was hoping for a more dynamic color combo from the NFL last year, with an orange Broncos endzone at the very least, and/or a green Seahawks endzone to offset the navy. Knew this one was going to be awful all-navy.

I wonder who decides this. Maybe there's a standards manual that specifies the endzones for each NFL team.

Archived