Cleveland Browns Helmet

Elfman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's assume that the "actually winning" line was a poor phrasing of the precedent being that the case itself was won. All that victory does is make us ignore the elephant in the room and believe with crossed fingers that Jim Brown wasn't associated with the two time Super Bowl champs that former Brown Ozzie Newsome put together. Or that Michael Jordan owns the team that drafted Kobe Bryant.

I really didn't want to step into this argument, but after reading this post I have to as a former Browns fan. I was a Browns fan from age 6 to age 23. After they left Cleveland for Baltimore and the colors and history remained in Cleveland I felt a little better about the situation. Then four years passed and the team finally took the field again, and I will be the first one to admit that this new team in 1999 was NOT the Cleveland Browns. Sure they looked the same, and the records were still there, but the atmosphere did not scream Browns to me. In fact, fast-forward to 2014 and I say to this day, that my Cleveland Browns have won two Super Bowls since 1996 and they happened to be called the Ravens. Looking back, I wish the Browns never kept the name and colors because it is a curse of the historic legacy the original team set. Therefore, when I talk about the Browns, I always call them the New Browns because this franchise could not hold a candle to the original team.

spacer.png

It could look like this...

Smoke-Orange-Helmet+copy.jpg

I don't have Photoshop right now, but if anyone wants to make the fixes for the Browns, go right ahead.

That's what I've pictured them doing. A flat orange helmet with chromed stripes and possibly a chrome silver facemask or an orange one.

Let's assume that the "actually winning" line was a poor phrasing of the precedent being that the case itself was won. All that victory does is make us ignore the elephant in the room and believe with crossed fingers that Jim Brown wasn't associated with the two time Super Bowl champs that former Brown Ozzie Newsome put together. Or that Michael Jordan owns the team that drafted Kobe Bryant.

I really didn't want to step into this argument, but after reading this post I have to as a former Browns fan. I was a Browns fan from age 6 to age 23. After they left Cleveland for Baltimore and the colors and history remained in Cleveland I felt a little better about the situation. Then four years passed and the team finally took the field again, and I will be the first one to admit that this new team in 1999 was NOT the Cleveland Browns. Sure they looked the same, and the records were still there, but the atmosphere did not scream Browns to me. In fact, fast-forward to 2014 and I say to this day, that my Cleveland Browns have won two Super Bowls since 1996 and they happened to be called the Ravens. Looking back, I wish the Browns never kept the name and colors because it is a curse of the historic legacy the original team set. Therefore, when I talk about the Browns, I always call them the New Browns because this franchise could not hold a candle to the original team.

What you said makes perfect sense. So what team are you a fan of now?

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

What you said makes perfect sense. So what team are you a fan of now?

If I had to pick one team, it would be the Patriots as I followed Bill Belichek from Cleveland to New England. But after the Browns left, I began playing Fantasy Football which made me a fan of several teams, but I will never pull for the 49ers or the Cowboys.

spacer.png

I don't have Photoshop right now, but if anyone wants to make the fixes for the Browns, go right ahead.

That's what I've pictured them doing. A flat orange helmet with chromed stripes and possibly a chrome silver facemask or an orange one.

I could see this color helmet with chrome stripes (Brown-White-Brown) and either a white or brown chrome facemask.

spacer.png

Back on topic, the local CBS Sports Talk affiliate here in town, 92.3 The Fan, had team President Alec Scheiner on today, and he said that the team would be debuting new uniforms next season.

Just to confirm, "next season" means the 2015-2016 season right?

Yeah. There's no way they'd have anything ready to go by September.

A Customer of mine Works for the Browns And told me that she saw some helmets brought in a saw one of them and its was metallic in nature with a wider then normal stripe. She did say it was one of a few different ones but only saw the one. dont know if its a prototype or something else, just wanted to let you guys know ,i'm really not artistic i really just come here to see the awesome work some of you do.

If that's the official change, then I think it may not be a big deal at all, depending on how exactly the metallic part stands out.

My problem with this rumour is that the metallic orange shells will really stick out when compared to the flat orange that will inevitably be used on the uniforms. It's one of the (many) problems the Bucs' new look has. The jerseys and pants use this very dark, flat pewter. The pewter helmet, however, is very shiny and almost looks silver under some lighting conditions. It's supposed to be the same colour as the pewter elsewhere on the uniform but it just looks like it doesn't belong. Like it's from a different uniform set entirely.

And it's a very "college" thing to do (the possible Browns scenario moreso than the Bucs color). I prefer college football to the NFL but I appreciate the NFL's history of not watering down team brands and not using their uniforms as a canvas for shoe company advertisements. That history is starting to slip away with the New York Titans, the Seahawks, and the Big Bucs helmet logo. Taking a traditional team (as officially recognized by the league) and "pro-combating" its helmet tells me that the Browns are changing from "traditional" to "kewl" and are probably going to change helmets as often as the NFL allows. I hope this is not actually happening.

It's different in college. The University is bigger than the football team. They have other sports and other functions. The helmet is not as much a part of the school's (or even the football team's) identity as it is for an NFL team. The school is more about colors, mascots, and letters. But in the NFL (especially for teams without logos) the helmets are the most recognizable symbol. I really don't want to see the NFL be cavalier with that. The Bucs big logo started the ball rolling...I fear helmets with uniform numbers on one side and huge logos on the other or Miami (OH)-like patterns. Dear NFL teams: keep your helmets simple and try to make sure you don't have to change 'em every few years. They are too key to your brand.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If Cleveland went with a metallic orange and darker brown this could work. But my understanding is they are trying to go back towards seal brown not the current brown. Personally I hope the only change is the striping on the sleeves to match the pants and a slight variation on block numbering.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Back on topic, the local CBS Sports Talk affiliate here in town, 92.3 The Fan, had team President Alec Scheiner on today, and he said that the team would be debuting new uniforms next season.

Just to confirm, "next season" means the 2015-2016 season right?

Yeah. There's no way they'd have anything ready to go by September.

A Customer of mine Works for the Browns And told me that she saw some helmets brought in a saw one of them and its was metallic in nature with a wider then normal stripe. She did say it was one of a few different ones but only saw the one. dont know if its a prototype or something else, just wanted to let you guys know ,i'm really not artistic i really just come here to see the awesome work some of you do.

If that's the official change, then I think it may not be a big deal at all, depending on how exactly the metallic part stands out.

My problem with this rumour is that the metallic orange shells will really stick out when compared to the flat orange that will inevitably be used on the uniforms. It's one of the (many) problems the Bucs' new look has. The jerseys and pants use this very dark, flat pewter. The pewter helmet, however, is very shiny and almost looks silver under some lighting conditions. It's supposed to be the same colour as the pewter elsewhere on the uniform but it just looks like it doesn't belong. Like it's from a different uniform set entirely.

And it's a very "college" thing to do (the possible Browns scenario moreso than the Bucs color). I prefer college football to the NFL but I appreciate the NFL's history of not watering down team brands and not using their uniforms as a canvas for shoe company advertisements. That history is starting to slip away with the New York Titans, the Seahawks, and the Big Bucs helmet logo. Taking a traditional team (as officially recognized by the league) and "pro-combating" its helmet tells me that the Browns are changing from "traditional" to "kewl" and are probably going to change helmets as often as the NFL allows. I hope this is not actually happening.

It's different in college. The University is bigger than the football team. They have other sports and other functions. The helmet is not as much a part of the school's (or even the football team's) identity as it is for an NFL team. The school is more about colors, mascots, and letters. But in the NFL (especially for teams without logos) the helmets are the most recognizable symbol. I really don't want to see the NFL be cavalier with that. The Bucs big logo started the ball rolling...I fear helmets with uniform numbers on one side and huge logos on the other or Miami (OH)-like patterns. Dear NFL teams: keep your helmets simple and try to make sure you don't have to change 'em every few years. They are too key to your brand.

While I do agree with the majority of what you said, I however do not see how history is starting to slip away when looking at the Seahawks' current helmet. Both the Seahawks and Buccaneers do not really have all that much history to them and are pretty much teenagers compared to historic teams like the Bears, Packers, Browns, and etc. Plus, the Seahawks finally won a Superbowl and did this in their current uniforms. So one could argue that their legacy begins now and these uniforms are part of it (such as the Patriots and Broncos did with what could be considered drastic changes to their history when they changed uniforms).

While I do agree with the majority of what you said, I however do not see how history is starting to slip away when looking at the Seahawks' current helmet. Both the Seahawks and Buccaneers do not really have all that much history to them and are pretty much teenagers compared to historic teams like the Bears, Packers, Browns, and etc. Plus, the Seahawks finally won a Superbowl and did this in their current uniforms. So one could argue that their legacy begins now and these uniforms are part of it (such as the Patriots and Broncos did with what could be considered drastic changes to their history when they changed uniforms).

I was actually referring to the Seahawks jerseys...My post discussed the history of team brands and not going overboard with uniforms promoting shoe companies. The Seahawks jersey is the first in the NFL (to me anyway) that says "this was designed so you know it was done by Nike." Similarly the Bucs big logo (and their new goofy uniforms for that matter) are college-like and have that little extra "swooshy" quality. My reference to the Titans was more about "team brand" as opposed to "shoe company billboards." For a game a year, the Jets look like a totally different team.

So "history" was kinda a minor part of my point, though it was key particular to the Browns. My real concern is with college football (and to some extent, the NHL) designing their uniforms to represent "manufacturer" rather than "team". Seattle and Tampa Bay, I fear, have gotten that ball rolling for the NFL. And taking something as basic and traditional as the Browns helmet and turning it into pro-combat would be another step in that direction.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I was actually referring to the Seahawks jerseys...My post discussed the history of team brands and not going overboard with uniforms promoting shoe companies. The Seahawks jersey is the first in the NFL (to me anyway) that says "this was designed so you know it was done by Nike." Similarly the Bucs big logo (and their new goofy uniforms for that matter) are college-like and have that little extra "swooshy" quality. My reference to the Titans was more about "team brand" as opposed to "shoe company billboards." For a game a year, the Jets look like a totally different team.

So "history" was kinda a minor part of my point, though it was key particular to the Browns. My real concern is with college football (and to some extent, the NHL) designing their uniforms to represent "manufacturer" rather than "team". Seattle and Tampa Bay, I fear, have gotten that ball rolling for the NFL. And taking something as basic and traditional as the Browns helmet and turning it into pro-combat would be another step in that direction.

For the last half decade or so, the overall state of football and basketball uniforms in the NCAA has been a nauseating cesspool fire. Just scroll thru the CFB thread and take in the pictures... if you can stomach it. We can certainly hope the NFL doesn't go that route, but after getting in bed with nike, and seeing the ghastly abominations that got farted out in Seattle, Jacksonville, and Tampa, I am concerned.

^^^

Me too. Reebok followed some lame trends (see Vikings, Bengals) but I never had the feeling they were throwing "Reebok did this uniform" in our faces.

POTD (Shared)

And the second these "new" Browns win a Super Bowl, you'll forget all about those "old" Browns in Baltimore.

I'm a 1979 SuperSonics fan...the Seattle Kings would not have reclaimed my allegiance.

Yes, they are the "new Browns" because it is an expansion team with a new history. But the franchise is about the city and the fans that follow the team moreso than whoever happens to currently run or play for the team when they move there.

The Ravens are no more the Browns than the new Browns because they exist in a new city with a new atmosphere and identity. It's Baltimore's team now. It is not as if their history would have been the same if they stayed in Cleveland. They probably wouldn't have won those two Superbowls if I'm being a dick to myself. So to pretend like that franchise is the same is silly as well, even if the continuity can be interpreted as such.

The Thunder have never won a championship. Seattle won. I don't see why people think there has to be this distinction between the old and new Browns. The colors are the same. The uniforms are the same. The fans are mostly the same. And most importantly, the city is the same.

And the second these "new" Browns win a Super Bowl, you'll forget all about those "old" Browns in Baltimore.

I'm a 1979 SuperSonics fan...the Seattle Kings would not have reclaimed my allegiance.

Well see since I have not followed the team since 2001 and have been loyal to the Patriots and Texans.

spacer.png

I think we're sensitive because we scored a minor victory (the winning precedent previously referenced) by keeping the name, colors, history, and at least officially, the franchise. I don't think it's cool when people to continually try to argue that even that shouldn't count and is some kind of joke.

We deal with the fact that the Ravens won 2 Super Bowls and enjoyed the decade+ that could have been the Browns'. Maybe the critics should deal with the fact that the new Browns are officially the same franchise as the old Browns.

I think we're sensitive because we scored a minor victory (the winning precedent previously referenced) by keeping the name, colors, history, and at least officially, the franchise. I don't think it's cool when people to continually try to argue that even that shouldn't count and is some kind of joke.

We deal with the fact that the Ravens won 2 Super Bowls and enjoyed the decade+ that could have been the Browns'. Maybe the critics should deal with the fact that the new Browns are officially the same franchise as the old Browns.

No, sorry. It's a callous disregard for the history of the game.

No, sorry. It's a callous disregard for the history of the game.

Bingo.

In thirty years time, are we supposed to sit our children/grandchildren down and tell them that the Cleveland Browns went dormant for three years and came back like nothing happened? I think the perfect analogy would be winning your ex wife's clothing as part of a divorce settlement and dressing the new girl in it while telling people that she's the same person but was in a coma for three years.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived