Milwaukee Bavarians & Madison 56ers logos (Milwaukee update P.2)

mcrosby

Thanks for taking the request!

Not bad... I like it better than the black. But now I'm curious about what if you made the inner ring (the one with "Milwaukee Bavarians," the wheat, etc.) white for some extra contrast. The all blue looks great against a white background, but it almost feels like a bit much against a blue one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of the gear wheel, despite the connection with the Milwaukee flag. It is a nice idea, but it just makes an otherwise clean logo unnecessarily busy.

You had done, a few years ago, a Bavarians logo where the text was Bavarian SC Milwaukee, the lozenges at a more traditional angle, and in a dark blue and silver. I think that version is the best if you changed to the colors to a blue and white you are using for these new versions.

Not a fan of the inverse version on the blue background; I think you could just keyline the version on the left.

And, yeah, I really feel this is that much better than the Madison design; none of the versions you had ever really felt right to me. This looks much more polished.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I may try rotating the pattern to the traditional angle. It looked unbalanced at that angle before, but I'll see what I can come up with. For now: simplifying is the name of the game

BroijSz.png

That's actually a great example that you don't need more than two colors in order to produce a great looking logo. I love the typeface you used. The little soccer ball is never a must in such a logo (same goes for baseballs or hockey sticks) but the size and position you chose is perfect. Nice and subtle!

But I'm not sure about using the gear wheel. I have to agree with @davidrpaige that the logo's getting a little too busy. It's without any doubt a nice gimmick but it's distracting (me) from the essential rest of the logo. Maybe because the gear wheel is too thick and large or maybe just because it's there. I'm 100% sure that dropping it will have no negative impact on your logo at all. It'd be just simplified because it's losing a gimmick that would have fitted better to a completely different logo design. But simpler can sometimes also mean better. Could you possibly upload a version of your logo without the gear wheel using a royal-blue outline of the same thickness of the inside part of the gear wheel?

However I like this logo a lot – with or without a gear wheel. It looks polished and therefore appealing.

Great job!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I am absolutely in love with the gear, it's unique (something a small club needs) but still has the classic roundel look.

It's not easy for me to do this, but here it is without the gear. It looks pretty slick.

NNyiZOe.png

PrVEJZK.png

Thank you! You know what? I'd prefer it without the gear wheel. And yes – it looks indeed very slick! In my view it looks flawless now. But of course you have to decide whether to keep the gear wheel or not.

Forgot to mention something else in my previous comment: I would not rotate the Bavarian pattern to the original angle. I think it would look weird and distractive and then it definitely will lose its visual clarity.

Now this logo is so very simple (not plain or boring at all), yet so appealing! That's how a logo should look in my view. You nailed it!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Not a fan of the inverse version on the blue background; I think you could just keyline the version on the left.

And, yeah, I really feel this is that much better than the Madison design; none of the versions you had ever really felt right to me. This looks much more polished.

I'd agree with this.

I also like the gear wheel... hope you decide to keep it.

I'd agree with this.

I also like the gear wheel... hope you decide to keep it.

I also like the gear wheel, here`s hoping that you keep it mcrosby. It is idenic with Milwaukee and then it doesn`t look like you`re copying Bayern Munich`s crest. Individuality is what separates the top brands, even though it is NPSL stil lthe same.

I still think this was your best version:

bavarian_20130313_1060092300_zpsa646a3c9

I would just love to see it in the blue and white you are using now and without the gear wheel. (I mean, I have seen it in that variation, I did it my self a few years ago :) )

I like this for a few reasons:

1. the use of Bavarian SC Milwaukee. The club is old school and old school clubs should stick to their heritage and not conform to more modern naming conventions (City name followed by nickname).
  2. In this case, I feel having a soccer ball on the crest is not necessary. They have been around since 1929, and if you follow US football, beyond the catching the occasional headline, you know who Bavarian SC Milwaukee is. I didn't grow up in Milwaukee, or the mid-west for that matter, and I know who they are. Fans of the game, the development of the game, know certain clubs and Bavarian SC Milwaukee is one of those clubs.

Anyways, that is just my two cents and why I think this older crest you did is the superior version. Don't get me wrong, I like what you did in the others, any one of them are top notch for the club to utilize as an upgrade, but not changing, their identity.

Yeah, that kerning's a bit loose. Tighten that up, and I think it might help the fact that the text runs right up to the edge of the text, making it looked jammed. You might try removing one row of the wheat stalk segments, too.

The gear is totally the right way to go with this; it adds the personality it otherwise lacks.

I'm still thinking the angled flag motif would be better in the middle.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I kind of prefer the lozenges the way they are now... if only because that's how they are on the current logo.

milwaukee-bavarians.gif

I kind of wish there were a way to incorporate the founding date into the actual crest, though. Maybe put it where the soccer ball is now? You may have to reduce the size of the wheat sprigs in order to fit it, but it might be worth it.

I think you could definitely get away with just the "29" where the ball is rather than needing the full year. It's the convention that most German clubs use (Schalke 04, Hanover 96) and think it would keep things from being too cluttered.

Like it with the gear, like it with the straight lozenges too. This is really solid.

6fQjS3M.png

I think you could definitely get away with just the "29" where the ball is rather than needing the full year. It's the convention that most German clubs use (Schalke 04, Hanover 96) and think it would keep things from being too cluttered.

Like it with the gear, like it with the straight lozenges too. This is really solid.

You know what? I think if you kept everything else as is and just did this (plus Mockba's suggestion of a white keyline version for blue/colored backgrounds instead of the inverse like you have on post #43), you'd have a perfect badge for the Bavarians.

Any chance you'll take on Eau Claire Aris after this? Not only are they playing in La Crosse now, but they need a new badge even more than the other Wisconsin teams.

photo.jpg

You know what? I think if you kept everything else as is and just did this (plus Mockba's suggestion of a white keyline version for blue/colored backgrounds instead of the inverse like you have on post #43), you'd have a perfect badge for the Bavarians.

Any chance you'll take on Eau Claire Aris after this? Not only are they playing in La Crosse now, but they need a new badge even more than the other Wisconsin teams.

photo.jpg

I've been considering it. Do they go by La Crosse Aris FC now?

Archived