Failed expansion teams you wanted to see.

Davidellias

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do u want them out of minn?

IMO,the Twins are possibly at one of the worst places in the MLB (2nd to the stros) and Indy has more people than Minneapolis and they have a more appreciating city than the twin cities. End of arugument.

Yes, Indianapolis is such an appreciating sports city. They still barely care about the Pacers and couldn't give a rat's ass about the Colts during the 2-14 season.

Also as a word of advice, it's probably not in your best interest to take the "end of argument" tone on something you've randomly thrown into the discussion. Take away the flaws in the argument—the need to build a new stadium in an area that's quickly becoming more anti-tax than ever probably and the lack of major businesses to fill luxury suites for 81 nights per year—and you're still not going to come off well when you take that tone.

EDIT: Also for argument's sake, the Astros are probably at a better place right now than a lot of MLB franchises.

6fQjS3M.png

Milwaukee would have gotten a NHL team in the 80s if Dollar Bill/the Blackhawks hadn't vetoed it. I would have liked to see that.

Milwaukee & Seattle were all but expected to get expansion teams in 1992 until the Ackerley's sabotaged the Seattle bid and the combination of the Pettit's not wanting to pay the 50 million fee and Bill Wirtz being a dick, like you mentioned. It's a shame we didn't get to see the Milwaukee Admirals and Seattle Thunderbirds/Breakers in the NHL.

Baseball:

Indianapolis Arrows

293478d1373553717-new-logo-set-logo_arro

Orlando Sunrays

OrlandoSunRays.jpeg

Denver Zephyrs

Thanks buddy! I was gonna say that.

Indy was gonna have a baseball team in the 1980's called the Arrows but never saw existence because of RCA Dome having a centerfield 200 feet.

Ehh...IIRC the Arrows push was solely on one person who never quite grasped the structural issues confronting Indy as an MLB market (namely, not enough people).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

what were the conditions for Denver and seattle in the NHL? did the failure to approve the winter Olympics play into it at all? Seattle seem like it was the "hot" city in the early to mid 70s, NFL and baseball coming to town

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Seattle Totems couldn't come up with the fee in a timely manner and also blamed the Canucks for interfering. The Penguins almost moved to Seattle at one point. Like rams80 said the war between the NHL & WHA for cities and arenas pretty much scuttled Denver (dilution of talent and financially unstable teams). So they moved the stumbling Kansas City Scouts to Denver instead.

what were the conditions for Denver and seattle in the NHL? did the failure to approve the winter Olympics play into it at all? Seattle seem like it was the "hot" city in the early to mid 70s, NFL and baseball coming to town

"Not being flat broke" was probably a big one. Neither group was able to scrounge up enough money to make the expansion fee nor sale price of an existing team. Again, this was at the height of the NHL-WHA war, and both leagues tended to promise expansion teams to underfunded groups and let some serious fires get out of hand in several (OK, many in the case of the WHA) markets. Indeed, evidently there were talks to move two of the larger fires to Seattle and Denver (Penguins (!) and Seals, if you are curious) and cancel the expansion.

The 1974 announcement did succeed in killing the WHL, the Seattle Totems (after a year in the old Central Hockey League) and the Denver Spurs (year in the CHL, then a catastrophic half season in the WHA that saw briefly get sold to Ottawa and then still fold midseason because the Ottawa group also had no money-[no seriously, they played a couple road games as the Ottawa Civics and were even realigned into the Canadian division for about a week before folding]), as those were its two largest remaining markets.

----------------------------------------------------

I recall reading that San Diego (!!!!) was a major NHL expansion target in the 1980s and early 1990s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Milwaukee would have gotten a NHL team in the 80s if Dollar Bill/the Blackhawks hadn't vetoed it. I would have liked to see that.

Milwaukee should have an NHL team, not an NBA team. I would like to see the Bucks move to KC, and the Panthers move to Milwaukee. Heck, they could keep the name.

Then, they can leave the history of the Bucks in Milwaukee, rename them the KC Scouts, and consider it a new team.

I recall reading that San Diego (!!!!) was a major NHL expansion target in the 1980s and early 1990s.

I think it was a Seattle Times article if I recall. I remember the article stating that after San Jose begin play in 1991-92 that the NHL was in process of adding 2 more teams for 1992-93. I think applications were put in by groups from Seattle, Milwaukee, San Diego, Anaheim, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Hamilton, Ottawa and 2 from Tampa-St.Pete. Seattle & Milwaukee were considered locks until :censored: happened and Ottawa & Tampa Bay ended up with the franchises of course.

The failed 1971 NBA-ABA merger would've changed alot of things. I don't think the Virginia Squires or Pittsburgh Condors would exist in 2014 if the merger wasn't blocked or pushed through, but I could certainly see the Kentucky Colonels being a storied team with a intense rivalry with the Pacers. The Carolina Cougars might have settled down in one place and thrived as well.

Also, I've always seen the articles the Post or someone'll have about the attempts to get an MLB team for D.C. in the early 90's (you could even put down season ticket deposits at Riggs Bank, now PNC) and wondered what insane yet glorious jerseys and hats the 90's Nationals would have. Red white and blue gradient? Who knows.

I believe the Denver/Seattle expansion was all set until the Scouts moved to Denver, at which point the NHL gave up on the expansion altogether rather than pair Seattle with someplace else. First of two raw deals Seattle got with the NHL, the second being Sonics owner Barry Ackerley spearheading the expansion bid so that he could say "no just kidding" at the last minute. He then made sure the Seattle Center Coliseum was renovated to basketball-only specifications so that the NHL couldn't compete with the Sonics. And now the Sonics moved and he's dead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The failed 1971 NBA-ABA merger would've changed alot of things. I don't think the Virginia Squires or Pittsburgh Condors would exist in 2014 if the merger wasn't blocked or pushed through, but I could certainly see the Kentucky Colonels being a storied team with a intense rivalry with the Pacers. The Carolina Cougars might have settled down in one place and thrived as well.

Also, I've always seen the articles the Post or someone'll have about the attempts to get an MLB team for D.C. in the early 90's (you could even put down season ticket deposits at Riggs Bank, now PNC) and wondered what insane yet glorious jerseys and hats the 90's Nationals would have. Red white and blue gradient? Who knows.

I think that Oscar Robertson prevented that merger to go through until 1976:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_v._National_Basketball_Association

As for the Washington bid, I remember Larry King saying on NFL 85 that Washington and Denver were supposed to be awarded teams in 87, but nothing ever came of that.

Archived