2015 MLB ALL STAR LOGO

RETROJR79

Two thoughts:

1 - The use of Mr. Redlegs is very well executed. The stripe on the pillbox as an extension of the logo's border is a really neat inclusion.

2 - Pillbox hats. Jeez, I love pillbox hats. My knee jerk reactions was 'oh man, it's going to be so fun to see all the hat logos in pillbox style. Even the D-backs.'

But you know, it's going to sort of kill the majesty around pillbox. Though they are more common now, it was always so sweet when you'd saomeone walking around with a Pirates pillbox hat. Maybe even a Mets or Phillies(?). But these ones, though beautiful, will probably feel very inorganic. That said I'll buy at least two of them.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BuXJ_mTIUAAPRSB.jpg

"The 2015 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, Presented by Pringles."

470px-Pringles_logo_2009.svg.png

You're being facetious, but Pringles was a Procter & Gamble brand until very recently so it actually works for Cincinnati.

Also the Reds mustache man predates Pringles by at least 13 years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Re: pillbox caps....and I quote Sports Business Journal:

New Era’s innovation was to market All-Star Game caps for every team, as opposed to past years, when players wore everyday caps with an All-Star patch added. The result was a 385 percent sales increase over last year. “The All-Star Game is a great launching pad,” said New Era President Pete Augustine, “but what’s really encouraging is that sales are strong for those across the country.”

...so...the pillbox caps are definitely happening. And I will buy the Cardinals' version. I'm the type of baseball fan/collectible lover New Era Cap loves.

Cards.png

and the Reds already installed this in the right field seats. I know the sign company that installed this based on my past career in signs in Cincinnati. Good on them for not leaking it ahead of time.

BuZDvpiCQAEVNoe_zps9e448045.jpg

I wonder how long they'll keep it up.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Was it the 76 game in Phila that featured the pillbox caps last time? Or a different game? Either way, it's brilliant to bring them back for an ASG. I'm 100% against ASG-specific caps, but if they're going to do it, a gimmick like pillbox caps is the way to go. They will sell millions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The logo shape reminds me a lot of the 2004 ASG logo.

BuXJ_mTIUAAPRSB.jpg

ffemfvyho6smvjg2hbyljh9p2.gif

Besides being a completely different shape and style and color, you're right.

But seriously, this is a great logo. Kind of has an old time national pastime feel. Maybe they could get the crowd to wear suits, hats and dresses.

Well executed. It works for what it is: jumping on the trend of minimalist design popular on pinterest and buzzfeed for the last couple of years. It's already a tired trend, but good to see a major sports league doing something different.

Was it the 76 game in Phila that featured the pillbox caps last time? Or a different game? Either way, it's brilliant to bring them back for an ASG. I'm 100% against ASG-specific caps, but if they're going to do it, a gimmick like pillbox caps is the way to go. They will sell millions.

In 1976 the National League had several teams wear pillbox hats for the 100th anniversary of the NL at certain points during the season. So the NL using them in the ASG was simply part of the celebration.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I really like this logo. Also, with Mr. Redlegs as a part of the logo, it will be another excuse that I can give myself to break out the hat with moustache that I got when I went to Cincy a couple of weeks ago.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Jumping ahead. If it's a possibility of pillbox caps for this ASG, then the following year in Baltimore would have what?

Regular front panels? That'd be my only guess.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived