Favorite Flag?

jaker52

American-Flag-on-the-Moon.jpg

I'd have to agree. It's just a damn beautiful flag :flagusa:

Agreed. :flagusa::unclesam::smileyusa::flagusa::unclesam::smileyusa:

With national persuasion like the above examples always saying it's the best and whatnot, it's not very beautiful, design-wise. It's very cluttered fitting in so many elements, 13 stripes, a blue box taking up almost a quarter of the flag, and up to 50 (and possibly more) stars. It gets very muddy the smaller it gets, compare to the typical three stripe designs out there.

^This.

And as aesthetically pleasing as the Confederate flag would be in a vacuum, there comes a point where the symbolic meaning trumps design. Much like the Nazi flag (another well-designed rag) or the movie Birth Of A Nation (technological innovations don't trump bigotry).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on who you ask they're equally despised. That we had a Civil War is what would have eliminated that as a good design for me. I get it. I live in Texas now, but the stars and bars ain't a great design because of the people who flew it first. Not all were bad/evil/pro-slavery, but the majority were. It is what it is and it's easy to condemn/ praise/ vilify from our place in history

This thread's right up my wheelhouse. Flags have just been my thing for as long as I could remember. I've had all the countries down for a good while, but I never paid too much attention to anything other than that. There are a few that I know of that look really sharp.

Tokyo, Japan

640px-Flag_of_Tokyo_Prefecture.svg.png

I've always had a soft spot for the Scandinavian Cross, used by the 5 countries there. But it's the Faroe Islands flag that I like best, owned by Denmark IIRC.

And I think I'll just leave ya with Provo, Utah...

374px-Flag_of_Provo%2C_Utah.svg.png

EDIT: BTW Sporcle flag quiz is here:. My best is 10mins flat, but that's because I can't type to save my life :P

The Tokyo insignia looks like a Digimon crest and the Provo one gives me a "The More You Know" kinda vibe. :)

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

American-Flag-on-the-Moon.jpg

I'd have to agree. It's just a damn beautiful flag :flagusa:

Agreed. :flagusa::unclesam::smileyusa::flagusa::unclesam::smileyusa:

With national persuasion like the above examples always saying it's the best and whatnot, it's not very beautiful, design-wise. It's very cluttered fitting in so many elements, 13 stripes, a blue box taking up almost a quarter of the flag, and up to 50 (and possibly more) stars. It gets very muddy the smaller it gets, compare to the typical three stripe designs out there.

^This.

And as aesthetically pleasing as the Confederate flag would be in a vacuum, there comes a point where the symbolic meaning trumps design. Much like the Nazi flag (another well-designed rag) or the movie Birth Of A Nation (technological innovations don't trump bigotry).

Comparing the Confederate flag to the Nazi flag would be a reach. Slavery existed in the US far before the Confederacy, it's just that many people running it happened to not like it going away. Do we look at the US flag as a symbol of evil because of the unspeakable things that have happened under it (slavery, persecution, putting Japanese-Americans in concentration camps during WWII, pretty much every war involving the US after the Korean War)? Nazis on the other hand created the most infamous genocide in history, and are bound by a code of xenophobia and hatred. I think their flag and their flag alone deserves to be tarnished

As someone with Native American ancestry, I would say America hasn't exactly been above genocide itself; and as an American who's not a Tea Party member, I'd say a large swath of this country is bound by a code of xenophobia and hatred. I don't own an American flag for this, and many other reasons.

Let's calm things down people. There's no reason for this to turn into a Confederate flag/Native American/"Is the American flag racist?" debate. It's about which flags you prefer from a design standpoint. For the sake of civility the Nazi flag, Confederate flag, and Soviet flag should probably be "excluded" from the discussion. Yeah, the design elements can be considered strong but there's too much baggage that comes from discussing them. As is often the case in the movies the bad guys of history often looked cooler ;)

So let's just leave it at that and try to keep this thing on topic.

Edit - saw that others made comments regarding the Nazi flag. I'll defer to what was said above - decent design, TERRIBLE people.

Moving along now.....

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Estonia

flag_of_estonia.jpg

YES! This is what I came in here to post! My reasoning is that some say that it was designed to look like an Estonian landscape in the winter: snow on the bottom, treeline in the middle, sky on top.

Yep,I think you are correct!

It's a different all-green flag but...

309929_indycar_indianapolis_race.jpeg

Green means go,and that's why races start with a green flag.

1. UK

2. Switzerland

3. USA

4. South Carolina (I know, I'm a homer.)

5. Arizona

6. Chicago

Honorable mention: USSR would have been up here had the hammer & sickle been front & center and not relegated to the corner.

The top hoist of a flag is considered the "honour" portion of a flag, at least in European traditions--it's often where you put what's held in highest esteem.

rATMcmK.png

If any of you are redditors, check out /r/vexillology for all flag talk all the time.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I have quite a few favourites but here are just the city/county flags I can think of in Canada that I like.

14828038212_61527c2d73_h.jpg

Some of these are really clean and classic looks and others use rare designs and colours to really make the city look unique.

The prefectures of Japan feature a lot of simple but elegant flag designs typically with stylized versions of a letter or word in Japanese (the name or first letter/syllable of the prefecture).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_flags#Prefectural_flags

I love the stylized character ones.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Archived