Favorite Flag?

jaker52

A few favourites of mine...

The Union Jack of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It's a great design that manages to convey the nature of the state it represents perfectly.

1200px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdomsvg_zps

The Union Jack of the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway. This union lasted from 1814-1905. It's not as seamless as the UK's jack but I think it looks cool.

Union_Jack_of_Sweden_and_Norway_1844-190

South Africa. Like the UK's Union Jack it's an excellent merger of two other designs. The blue, white, and red tricolour of the Afrikaners and the black, green, and gold of the African National Congress.

Flag_of_South_Africasvg_zpsc52c6002.png

United States of America "Civil Flag." This flag isn't "official." It was, for the longest time, rumoured to be the US' "peace flag" while the traditional flag was the "war flag." There's nothing to that, but I like it.

civil-flag_zpsf9555a49.png

State of California. I like how it retains the trappings of the flag of an independent nation.

900px-Flag_of_Californiasvg_zps4c8c7b39.

Cross of Burgundy. A long, complicated history in Europe. It's mostly known as the flag of Spain's oversees empire in North America.

Flag_of_Cross_of_Burgundysvg_zps4a8cf2c7

Republic of Cuba. Not making a political statement. I just think the design and colour arrangement is neat.

800px-Flag_of_Cubasvg_zps924bc6b6.png

Kingdom of Libya 1951-1969, State of Libya 2011-present. The old/new Libyan flag shares the same elements with a lot of other Arab nations, but I've always liked the unique colour placement it's used.

Flag_of_Libyasvg_zpsb41182f0.png

Republic of Iraq 1959-1963. The first flag of Iraq after the overthrow of the Hashemite monarchy, yet prior to the establishment of the Ba'thist dictatorship that would rule until 2004. I would have liked to have seen Iraq go back to this following the ousting of Saddam myself.

Flag_of_Iraq_1959-1963svg_zpsa380a671.pn

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cross of Burgundy. A long, complicated history in Europe. It's mostly known as the flag of Spain's oversees empire in North America.

Any particular reason why the cross is barbed? I've tried a search and there's not much to say about it.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

A few favourites of mine...

The Union Jack of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It's a great design that manages to convey the nature of the state it represents perfectly.

1200px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdomsvg_zps

The Union Jack of the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway. This union lasted from 1814-1905. It's not as seamless as the UK's jack but I think it looks cool.

Union_Jack_of_Sweden_and_Norway_1844-190

United States of America "Civil Flag." This flag isn't "official." It was, for the longest time, rumoured to be the US' "peace flag" while the traditional flag was the "war flag." There's nothing to that, but I like it.

civil-flag_zpsf9555a49.png

State of California. I like how it retains the trappings of the flag of an independent nation.

900px-Flag_of_Californiasvg_zps4c8c7b39.

• Although it is apparently a debate among vexillologophists (sp?), but technically the "Union Jack" is called the "Union Flag" as a Jack flag usually refers to a nations maritime flag flown by warships.
  • Ok that Sweden-Norway Jack is really cool. Reminded me of the awesome beauty the Netherlands Naval Jack:120px-Naval_Jack_of_the_Netherlands.svg.
  • I don't think I've ever seen that US Civil Flag before. I want one!
  • While I think the California Flag is better... Texas is also a great flag that was an independent nation. Longer than California.

(Please don't kill me mods... but I also love the CSA Battle Flag from a design standpoint)

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

The US civil flag is kinda neat, but since its not well-known, many people would probably assume it's something disrespectful, since you're inverting things and turning things on their sides.

The US civil flag is kinda neat, but since its not well-known, many people would probably assume it's something disrespectful, since you're inverting things and turning things on their sides.

I don't think I've ever seen that US Civil Flag before. I want one!

The problem with the US Civil Flag is that it's been co-opted by the Tea Party, much like the Gadsden Flag has been. There's a site that sells them but it is itself a very Tea Party-esque site. It's still obscure enough that you could fly one without too many people knowing which group claims it these days, but you should be aware of the connection none the less. Not making a political statement, just saying people should know what group claims the flag these days before obtaining one. I just think it looks neat.

While I think the California Flag is better... Texas is also a great flag that was an independent nation. Longer than California.

Texas would make my honourable mentions list. I just like how the flag of California says "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" across it. They should make that the state's official name :D

Any particular reason why the cross is barbed? I've tried a search and there's not much to say about it.

I'm not sure. The best explanation I could find was that an early Duke of Burgundy adopted St. Andrew's cross as a sign of respect for Scottish soldiers that fought for him. Not sure why the Burgundian version is barbed though.

Ohio+Burgee.png

The Ohio burgee is the perfect compliment to the American, and a contender among the 50 states in my opinion. New Mexico, Arizona and Texas are up there.

serapis_flag.jpg

The Serapis Flag. That's right, 8-point stars and red, white and blue stripes in no particular order. Flew over John Paul Jones' Columbia (a captured British frigate formerly called the Serapis), which we all know was the gem of the ocean.

Ohio+Burgee.png

The Ohio burgee is the perfect compliment to the American, and a contender among the 50 states in my opinion. New Mexico, Arizona and Texas are up there.

serapis_flag.jpg

The Serapis Flag. That's right, 8-point stars and red, white and blue stripes in no particular order. Flew over John Paul Jones' Columbia (a captured British frigate formerly called the Serapis), which we all know was the gem of the ocean.

Neat. Looks like someone briefly saw the real US flag while they were wasted, and then a seamstress had to reconstruct it from their memories the next day.

Early American flags during the Revolution were a strange affair. It seems local commanders took some liberties with the stars and stripes motif.

The flag flown by Revolutionary troops at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina...

800px-Guilford_Courthouse_Flagsvg_zpsd73

The flag of Easton, Pennsylvania was raised when the Declaration of Independence was read in the town...

780px-Flag_of_Easton_Pennsylvaniasvg_zps

The Brandywine Flag was flown by the 7th Pennsylvania Regiment...

576px-Brandywine_Flagsvg_zpsbaa038a1.png

Early American flags during the Revolution were a strange affair. It seems local commanders took some liberties with the stars and stripes motif.

The flag flown by Revolutionary troops at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina...

I actually have this flag! Went to the battlefield one time on one of my many trips out to North Carolina. Pretty cool place.

Also to throw another flag that I love that I have... the U.S. Naval Jack:

Navy-Jack-Flag.jpg

EDIT: (And I just wanna say I don't own it for any political purposes :) )

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

The flag of Easton, Pennsylvania was raised when the Declaration of Independence was read in the town...

780px-Flag_of_Easton_Pennsylvaniasvg_zps

The Brandywine Flag was flown by the 7th Pennsylvania Regiment...

576px-Brandywine_Flagsvg_zpsbaa038a1.png

Here are a few others just to liven things up.

Bennington Flag

250px-Bennington_Flag.svg.png

George Rogers Clark Flag

250px-George_Rogers_Clark_Flag.svg.png

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I personally love Nepal's flag just because it isn't a rectangle. (Could someone post a picture of it please, it's kind of hard to do that on mobile)

Animated-Flag-Nepal.gif

Indirectly related, but funny so I'll share...

My then 7-year old daughter, sitting in the back seat of our car, asks, "Dad? Where's nipple?"

Somewhat confused, I replied, "Nipple?" "Yeah, Dad. I want to know where (I swear I heard her say "the," but it could've been an "um" or "uh") Nipple is."

I proceeded to stammer a bit, then she started to explain that some character in something she was reading was from there, at which point I asked her to spell it.

"You know, Dad. Nipple: N-E-P-A-L. Nipple."

I just about wrecked the car laughing. 3 years later she won her school's multi-grade spelling bee, in large part because after that I made it a point of teaching her better pronunciation/enunciation. The word she won on? "Dominant."

nav-logo.png

I personally love Nepal's flag just because it isn't a rectangle. (Could someone post a picture of it please, it's kind of hard to do that on mobile)

Animated-Flag-Nepal.gif
Nepal is the only flag in the world that is not square or retanglular. It is comprised of one small and one big triangle.

It is the only current national flag to not be a rectangle, there have been a couple non rectangle flags, whether in smaller divisions (Such as cities and provinces) and historic flags not in use anymore, such as the flag of the Mughal Empire.

Nova Scotia:

Flag-of-Nova-Scotia.jpg

Australia:

australia_flag_flying1.jpg

1957-65 Canadian Red Ensign:

5748645082_b8418c09b5_z.jpg

(I prefer the 1921-57 version, though this was the highest-quality pic I could find of either version)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Red Ensign was one of the few Union Canton flags I liked. Maybe it was due to not many countries having a Red Ensign, but a part of me wished it stayed and we would have 2 flags - similar to Scotland.

While we are on the topic of old Canadian related flags, the Naval Flag of the Kingdom of France was flown in Canada for some time. I like it for a flag designed in 1600. We used another variant on a white field till mid 1700's as well.

1024px-Naval_Flag_of_the_Kingdom_of_Fran

Archived