NHL Association Football Crossover *Montreal*

1clkgtramg

Here I go, attempting to make a new series. Now that school is finally over - albeit only for a month - I have finally felt comfortable enough to direct my attention to designing stuff again.

I have seen a couple NHL Soccer crossover threads but I have felt that a lot of them lacked a real identity refresh - although I'm not saying they were bad, many were good - not saying I'm that good either. I really wanted to take my time with each of the 30 NHL teams by thinking outside of the box. Instead of just slapping an NHL roundel logo on a basic template, why not change the team name, history (only a little), the basic logo, even the mascot name. For this crossover, I really wanted to make a legitimate looking Soccer league that felt like it has been a real league for quite some time.

Some rules I have set up for myself are as follows; however I have only completed about 5 of them so I may bend some rules:

There must be some common ground between the 2 teams. It must be recognizable which NHL team the Soccer team is representing.
1. 3 jerseys only, exceptions are Throwbacks. Throwbacks can be the Thirds (Home/Clash/TB) or can be Fourths (H/C/T/TB)
2. No hockey related imagery on any of the logos.
3. Stanley Cup Stars must be present on the front crest, however shorts don't have to.

4. At least one kit must have current NHL counterpart team's colours.

5. Home jersey doesn't have to be solid colour and Home and Clash don't need to be mirrored cuts.
6. Main sponsor is the current arena sponsor.

I will start off with Anaheim Ducks. I won't be going in any particular order because I only want to post those that I am at least 80% comfortable with. I will hopefully be posting a concept every 2 days, maybe less depending on how many I make.

Anaheim Football Club nicknamed the Ducks, take many design ques from the original Anaheim Mighty Ducks logo. I really liked that unique triangle and circle so I messed around with that and the duck mask. Now I realize the possibility of me violating rule #3 with this so I may remove the holes in the duck mask/face. I felt the holes being removed made it unrecognizable, but you guys let me know.

The jerseys weren't originally meant to be mirrored, but due to that awesome new white jersey the Ducks just released, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. I went with a more crazy cut template to use the secondary colours to their full potential as well as mimicking the side stripping of the actual Hockey jerseys. The third kit has a similar slanted striping but is now at the chest. Nothing more to explain here, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

14603489538_e2471fb248_c.jpg
14767129546_c4bf65dc9b_c.jpg
14603611637_53ba7d2749_c.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do end up taking out the holes in the mask, I'd suggest going with the original mask with the 3/4 perspective rather than the straight-on mask. I like LMU's idea of the pentagons, but otherwise idk how else to get around that. The only other way I could think of is making the background of the inner circle have the soccer ball pattern and then use the mask without the holes.

But otherwise, this whole set is great. Maybe throw in orange shorts, but thats not totally necessary. And I'm not sure you need the "Power of Dreams" under Honda. I think the Honda part works fine. That Mighty Ducks third is on point, also.

Oh, and you forgot the Stanley Cup star ;)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

These looks great. Not a lot to complain about. I guess if you wanted to do a logo without the hockey mask look, you could just to see how it would turn out.

here is 2 options, I kept 2 holes as nostrils on the second one which might just be enough.

14789698225_8c7ef7ab52_n.jpg

14603033779_54927a9557_n.jpg

I really debated with the soccerball duck thing but I couldn't think of a way to approach it. I'll give it another look later on and see what I come up with. Also about the front facing duck, I prefer it that was because I want to avoid asymmetric shapes that Soccer crests typically don't use.

If you do end up taking out the holes in the mask, I'd suggest going with the original mask with the 3/4 perspective rather than the straight-on mask. I like LMU's idea of the pentagons, but otherwise idk how else to get around that. The only other way I could think of is making the background of the inner circle have the soccer ball pattern and then use the mask without the holes.

But otherwise, this whole set is great. Maybe throw in orange shorts, but thats not totally necessary. And I'm not sure you need the "Power of Dreams" under Honda. I think the Honda part works fine. That Mighty Ducks third is on point, also.

Oh, and you forgot the Stanley Cup star ;)

shoot I uploaded the wrong image lol, give me a sec and I will fix it - the throwback jersey wont have the star for obvious reasons however.

Yeah, the mask really does need something on it, doesn't it? The "nostrils" get that effect across. I'd go with that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Editted the first post with the stars cause I'm an idiot.

Here are the Orange shorts. I should make a rule that you can have 5 shorts or something, I still like the white shorts though, just for a unique look - even though Black and Orange is quite rare.

14603489498_dd305ae92c_c.jpg

This is very pretty. Normally I hate the Ducks color scheme, but it somehow works in football. Who's going to be the sponsor for the Rangers, Red Wings, and Islanders(if you are going to use Nassau Veterans as the home arena)?

That's what- She

This is very pretty. Normally I hate the Ducks color scheme, but it somehow works in football. Who's going to be the sponsor for the Rangers, Red Wings, and Islanders(if you are going to use Nassau Veterans as the home arena)?

Party City will be Rangers

Barclays will be Islanders

Red Wings are still up in the air due to a new arena in the works - so they claim - but like the Rangers, I may go with a common sponsor for the team. AT&T seems to be the sponsor for their website so that may be the sponsor.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, I think Edmonton will be ready for tomorrow. Currently in the works are Colorado, Minnesota, LA and Arizona.

add an orange jersey, and on the crest make it say ducks instead of "football club"

Then what would even be the point of this? There's 3 jerseys I can have and all 3 are taken. I have one more shorts option available. And the crest cant say "Ducks" because thats counter productive. The team isnt officially called the Ducks anymore, its Anaheim Football Club. I'm trying to make them as Europeanized as possible.

Also, next time if you want to make a suggestion, you can ask it nicely. Thanks.

Just hit the second page of the concepts section so it's time to post up Oil City AC. There are 2 professional soccer teams - to my knowledge - that play in Edmonton; FC Edmonton and Edmonton Drillers FC. So I went with Oil City to be a little different, even if its a very unlikely nickname to be used. I'm a big fan of using strange objects/buildings/landmarks as the crest rather than just a clip art shield so I already knew what I wanted to do with this one, that's why I jumped the alphabet all the way to E. I tried to make it as different from the Houston Oilers as possible, and I believe I accomplished what I set out for. The iconic Oil Drop is still in the logo as well as a stand-alone version for the Throwback kits.

All around I am very happy with these kits except for the Clash kit. Maybe the stripes are too thick or something, but it's really throwing me off. I don't need to use white but both solid colours where dark so I needed a lighter base for the clash. So, if anyone has suggestions for a light based Clash, let me know. My favourite kit is the Orange Throwback. It just looks so classy and that shade of Orange just makes it stand out even as a single coloured kit.

Also note, the 5th star is located inside the logo at the top of the Oil Derrick to balance it out. The stars being on separate sides was to represent the 2 consecutive Cup win streaks they had.

14604240708_f970d01aff_c.jpg
14790522072_4d17e9aa83_c.jpg
14604359157_6d67b0eef0_c.jpg

I like Edmonton's kits, but when I see them, I don't think Oilers

Is it the colours? I use tge Colourwerx official colours to ensure they are the right colour. The oil drop is pretty recognizable, not much more I could do :/

Any suggestions?

Archived