Personal Branding Take 2

jaker52

I went back to the drawing board here and after about 10 tries on paper for "Jake Rietz Concepts" I went for a name change. I wanted something that showed ideas of creativity and being out of the norm, and since I am a ballplayer I needed a baseball term. I chose the name Change-Up Creative because it showed those ideas and is original according to the Trademark office. My logo idea was based off one of my potential JRC designs. The C is modified from Ariel Black and the logo shows creativity (colors) movement of a changeup pitch, and a backwards j and an r inside the C. Anyways, here is my logo concept that I am quite proud of.

changeupcreative_copy.jpg

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Not feeling it. This logo relies too much on color, yet there's not a specific reason for having all the color. It doesn't show movement, it shows mis-registration, and for the creative arts field, your name would have to have some kind of print term in it for this to work.

Definitely wouldn't work in black and white, you'd have a muddy c-shape.

The letter has some uneven curves on the lower right side, like you tried to redraw it.

All you've done with the name is type it in all-caps.

And it's ARIAL. Ariel is The Little Mermaid.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's very generic and it's sloppy. The curves on the C don't flow smoothly, particularly in the top right and bottom right. The way you just see a sliver of the blue in the bottom right of the C is sloppy. The way the blue on inner part of the bottom C leg flows on almost the same path as the red C but then the blue jots in slightly, is sloppy. And on top of that, the idea is very uninspired. The backward J (which is an L) and R inside the C are a stretch. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but if you actually want this C to represent your work, then you're definitely going to want to start over. You have to learn to walk before you run. I'd take some time away from designing this and look at other artists' work to see what makes a good letter logo good. If you continue with this idea, odds are, as you improve over time, you will see this for what it is, and you will want to scrap this and make a totally new logo for yourself in a few months anyway, so you might as well take your time to get it right the first time. The RJ in your pic is much better than this C

and a backwards j and an r inside the C.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way this was intentional.

I refer you to this: http://www.davidairey.com/personal-logo-design-sketches/

Draw ideas out, many times. No matter how silly they are. Something original will pop off the page, as you can see from Airey's example. If you want your personal brand to be taken seriously, you're going to want to be a little more original than Arial Black. Hand drawn (like jaha's above and mine to the left) is almost always uniquely you. Focus on pen/paper, THEN digitize it. We're not just saying this for our health :)

I feel like in A LOT of ways simple can be the better way to go. And I'm not saying to scrap simple and go crazy but I feel this might be ...too simple. I just see three different color C's moved a small distance away from each other. I'd say that whole thing should be smoother. Continue the blue or red lines and make them all connect at one point. Anywho, I can't say I'm a fan of this idea in the first place so maybe go in a different direction. For some reason I like to think that personal logos and brand logos look better with one color or just two colors with one used less. So that the logo can be interchanged on different surfaces. Black and white, blue and pink, anything. Maybe think of that the next time, or maybe I'm deluded and only think those types of logos look good for brands.

I've gone about a year without a personal logo and I'm not looking forward to it honestly. I feel like I'm going to get very nit picky and will get frustrated and annoyed at myself. Also questioning whether to use my real name or the artist name I've gone years with using (Wonka).

I say this too just in curiosity but could you upload all or most of your sketches or ideas? Maybe we could help spark an idea from those.

I honestly don't see how you can be happy with this--if you are, you have no eye for design. So why would you post something if you aren't proud of it? You need to take pride in your work (and life). Don't just throw something out there you know isn't good in case you get lucky and someone likes it, take you time and come up with something that you like and are proud of, especially for a personal brand.

Apparently you haven't learned this after countless swings and misses on concepts that have go horrible responses. I learned this the first day I post a concept (well two actually). Since my first weeks or so, I've only posted one concept, and (despite the mixed response) I'm proud of my work and thought it was something some people would like before I posted it (and some did).

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

I honestly don't see how you can be happy with this--if you are, you have no eye for design. So why would you post something if you aren't proud of it? You need to take pride in your work (and life). Don't just throw something out there you know isn't good in case you get lucky and someone likes it, take you time and come up with something that you like and are proud of, especially for a personal brand.

Apparently you haven't learned this after countless swings and misses on concepts that have go horrible responses. I learned this the first day I post a concept (well two actually). Since my first weeks or so, I've only posted one concept, and (despite the mixed response) I'm proud of my work and thought it was something some people would like before I posted it (and some did).

Well he did say he was proud in the original post. Don't know if you misread.

Well he did say he was proud in the original post. Don't know if you misread.

I didn't even read it, no offense but idk how you can be proud of that.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

Archived