USFL american football Portland Wolf logo added

jaker52

The one rule of posting a thread in the concepts forum is to actually have a concept before you create the thread.

Sure, the league logo looks like the Kings' homeplate logo, not bad, but to fuss over small things like names and change them rapidly without a single concept damages your rep. (It's not that good at the moment so you might wanna do something quickly about it)

Also, try a name that isn't plain, I suggest you add a prefix to the Wolves name if you want it to be "unique".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portland Logos

Inspiration came from the city flag (as shown below). I also wanted a simple brand so I avoided an actual wolf.

portland_flag.png

you will see more flag in the uniforms

portland_LOGOS_BASE.jpg

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

i tried like 4 times and decided i didnt want it anyways

No.. that just means you gave up.

Not going to lie: the "logos" are subpar to say the least. There's a lot of kerning issues in the "Wolves" wordmark.

I think you really need to go back to the drawing board, do some research on Wolves and Wolves logos to see what works and doesn't work and start sketching out ideas. Honestly, this whole thing is incomplete and half-assed from the inception to the production. If you want to get better, you need to start upping your game more and learn about general design and how to use the tools for this.

What does that little sunburst thingy have to do with Wolves? At least a clawmark IMO.

In addition, you're not gonna get through a series without a mascot logo. You should have thought about that before you started.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

What does that little sunburst thingy have to do with Wolves? At least a clawmark IMO.

In addition, you're not gonna get through a series without a mascot logo. You should have thought about that before you started.

I'm guessing the sunburst thing is what is on the center of the Portland flag.

u3J7jjd.png

Anything I'd say about the Wolves would probably be considered piling on, so I'll skip that.

Instead, I want to give you some advice: SLOW DOWN. If you want to get better at illustrator, take the time to learn it. Don't rush haphazard work to the table. You're using premade fonts and a poorly drawn letterform right now. To me, that says 'lazy'. Stop hiding behind "I drew out 40 of these but this is the only good one" and "I wanted to keep it simple." You won't get better, and, as pure seeing now, you're not getting compliments on your work either.

When you take the time, it shows. We can always tell when something was done with haste and carelessness.

Portland just looks lazy. The primary is uninspired and there are serious issues with the kerning (spacing in between letters) in the wordmark.

It really seems like you didn't include a wolf logo because you couldn't or didn't want to draw one, not because you wanted to keep it simple. As the package stands, the set really has nothing to do with a wolf.

Also, consider this: if you never work at making a logo outside of your comfort zone, your logo skills will never improve. Give a wolf logo your best shot and then post it here for feedback. If you keep working at it, I promise you that the logo will improve and you will improve as a designer.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

The fact that I could sketch a logo for your team in under two minutes and at least have some basis to improve from, and you cannot shows that no, you were not just "going simple" but were in fact being lazy.

WP_20140809_009.jpg

Kubiak Designs, Buffalo, NY- Est. 2012

The fact that I could sketch a logo for your team in under two minutes and at least have some basis to improve from, and you cannot shows that no, you were not just "going simple" but were in fact being lazy.

WP_20140809_009.jpg

Well it looks more like a deranged pig, but you made a good point. :P

Definately don't start a huge series if you can't even get your first concept the way you want. Scrap this series. Get some more practice. Look up tutorials and designer blogs for how to really create a logo. I would definately look up davidson's tutorials here on the boards, they are very well done. If you want to make a wolf logo first practice on making a wolf logo. Work with a pen/pencil and paper first. Get the perspectives and shading down. Like Doug said: slow down. Nobody is going to just come in and be able to put up awesome work on here without some basis of art and design. Practicing on peoples requests in the requests form is good practice too.

Plus when good designers on here post a series like this they usually have most, if not all, of it done. Then begin posting and tweaking after they themselves are satisfied with their work. If you're not happy with it then people here will more than likely think it's crap too. Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean or beat you down or anything. I just hate when people post crap concepts just because they have the "tools" like illustrator or inkscape. The real tools are your eyes, brain, and possibly most important your heart. You gotta have the desire to learn and be the best designer at all times. Always be looking, listening, thinking, and... learning.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I took a shot at redemption here. I watched tutorials on youtube and saw some stuff on adobe.com and so I got a picture of a wolf and made a wolf logo!

wolf.jpg

wolf_logo.png

I am working on image size too sorry about that.

fixed.

wolf_logo.jpg

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Needs more depth, shading, and detail. That should help with all the empty space. It looks like you just traced the shape of the head, filled it with grey with a small outline and added some blue blobs for the eye, nose, mouth, and ear. Plus the teeth are lost once it gets any smaller. Start with one color (I always do black) and get the shading, highlights and all the main features down.

Not sure if you have but take a look at this: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/71456-logo-design-tutorials/page-3?hl= davidsons logo tutorial I believe it's a few posts down.

I know it's for human faces (can't find the animal one, wish I could for my own reference) but it should help get the point across. Also look at other wolf logos and see what those designers did. I should not/do not want to see an update in a couple days. Take your time on this. No one great or crappy professional logo took one day, and I'm assuming you want your work to look professional.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived