2014 NFL Season Thread

If the NFL favors Dallas so much why have the Cowboys been largely irrelevant playoff/Super Bowl-wise in nearly two decades? According to all the stupid memes floating around, Jerry Jones cuts checks to the refs. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think it's trying to have it both ways. You can't help a mediocre team get to the top - too many things have to happen, they'd need too much help. You can put them in position to succeed, but if they're not good enough then it won't matter. Plus, a couple of those years they were battling Philadelphia for the top spot, and while certianly not the national draw that Dallas is, they're still a big enough draw that there wouldn't be the same incentive to "rig" a game.

What's different about this year is that Dallas is actually good. They got to 12-4 on merit (I think), and don't really need much help. They're good enough that one or two phantom calls or no-calls could put them in position to get to the NFCCG or even SB.

Looking at it completely objectively, I think that a reasonable person could conclude that while not technically fixed, there is at least some liklihood that the NFL and/or networks had a great deal of influence over the outcome of the game, an influence that at least would have created a dramatic ending to a game in which the Cowboys lost, and at best would lead to a Cowboys / Packers match-up.

Also considering they haven't lost a game officiated by that head referee? I don't know the circumstances behind those other games (maybe they were just against horrible teams), but there's just too many things that point to something fishy going on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole way it was handled made it worse. If the ref huddled and picked up the flag it may not have hurt the Lions as much as calling it and the Lions preparing for 1st and 10 at the 30. The way it was done the Lions were shell shocked and lost on 4th and 1 then the punt that went poof.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Didn't the league also admit that they missed a blatant hold against suh on the last drive too?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Didn't the league also admit that they missed a blatant hold against suh on the last drive too?

Yes they did. Are they trying to keep the "This league is fixed" people away? This just adds more fuel to the fire that the league, through its officials, DO favor the Cowboys.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

The league admitted that Detroit should have had at least a first down instead of punting, and that Dallas should have been moved back 10 yards on the play that extended their winning drive that the league even said they shouldn't have even had. The shield essentially said "Detroit should have won the game". There's no other way their statement could be interpreted. If you're a Cowboys fan and your reaction is anything other than "wow - we got away with one there, but hey I'll take it!" then you should stick to posting on Cowboys fan boards because you can't be objective about it.

You need to win the game by one point. You need to score one more point than your opponent, and not a point more. The "well they still had chances", or "then they should have scored more earlier in the game" arguments are absolutely stupid. That's like saying that one team needs to score 5 points more than their opponent. "Hey, it's not the Cowboys fault - the Lions had plenty of chances to score 5 more points".

Yes they did. Are they trying to keep the "This league is fixed" people away? This just adds more fuel to the fire that the league, through its officials, DO favor the Cowboys.

The book "Scorecasting" looked at data and claimed that officiating is THE biggest home field advantage. In the NFL, home teams are called for .5 less penalties per game and for less total yardage. In critical situations, penalty bias increases.

It's all home teams!

The book "Scorecasting" looked at data and claimed that officiating is THE biggest home field advantage. In the NFL, home teams are called for .5 less penalties per game and for less total yardage. In critical situations, penalty bias increases.

It's all home teams!

Well then I guess the Packers should get more calls to go in their favor...we shall see.

It'd be great if the NFL just switched to full-time refs who get paid a full-time salary and can be full-time focused on reffing football. Throwing a bunch of flags and then picking them up isn't good officiating, and there's enough money to go around to train and pay good referees.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's all home teams!

I loved that book and I was surprised the officiating difference was that high between home and away. Granted, it would be hard to call a play one way when 30K people were screaming for it to be called the other way, but still, these guys are trained professionals, they've got to be better than botching two calls on the same play.

It's all home teams!

Numbers are numbers, but I have to think the same call would have happened in Detroit.

Maybe next week will be straight, because there's good stories if either team wins, but there was no way they wanted to miss out on a DAL-GB playoff game and have CAR-GB instead. Maybe if there were more interesting / high-ratings teams in the playoffs (like if the alternative was NYG-GB or SF-GB) it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

It's all home teams!

Well then I guess the Packers should get more calls to go in their favor...we shall see.

If you want to live in the world of conspiracy and The Sports Illuminati, go right ahead. If you're so stuck on games being rigged, how confident are you that CBS will demand another Manning v. Brady for next week?

http://phillyinferno.com/2013/05/29/what-contributes-to-home-field-advantage-in-the-nfl/

The 90s Cowboys weren't especially likeable, but they did earn every bit of their reputation. They felt like a video game all-star team (if only because Emmitt Smith was essentially untouchable in Madden 94), and they played with swagger before that was a thing.

The Miami Hurricanes of the '80s would quibble with you there.

That's 30 for 30 revisionism.

In all my years of watching football, the Canes were the first team I remember going all out with the swagger bit. Watching Michael Irvin (Miami Hurricanes version) act like he'd just scored the game winning TD after a 4 yard catch was pretty annoying. It just might be that Irvin brought the Canes swagger show to the Cowboys. Just an observation from someone who was around and watching football at the time in question.

BB52Big.jpg

The league admitted that Detroit should have had at least a first down instead of punting, and that Dallas should have been moved back 10 yards on the play that extended their winning drive that the league even said they shouldn't have even had. The shield essentially said "Detroit should have won the game". There's no other way their statement could be interpreted. If you're a Cowboys fan and your reaction is anything other than "wow - we got away with one there, but hey I'll take it!" then you should stick to posting on Cowboys fan boards because you can't be objective about it.

You need to win the game by one point. You need to score one more point than your opponent, and not a point more. The "well they still had chances", or "then they should have scored more earlier in the game" arguments are absolutely stupid. That's like saying that one team needs to score 5 points more than their opponent. "Hey, it's not the Cowboys fault - the Lions had plenty of chances to score 5 more points".

Detroit had 3 minutes, two timeouts for the win. I don't post on Cowboys boards. I think it's funny all the Dallas haters are telling us how we should act or else. The LIONS SCORED THREE SECOND HALF POINTS.

newsig.jpg

Archived