2014 NFL Season Thread

The league admitted that Detroit should have had at least a first down instead of punting, and that Dallas should have been moved back 10 yards on the play that extended their winning drive that the league even said they shouldn't have even had. The shield essentially said "Detroit should have won the game". There's no other way their statement could be interpreted. If you're a Cowboys fan and your reaction is anything other than "wow - we got away with one there, but hey I'll take it!" then you should stick to posting on Cowboys fan boards because you can't be objective about it.

You need to win the game by one point. You need to score one more point than your opponent, and not a point more. The "well they still had chances", or "then they should have scored more earlier in the game" arguments are absolutely stupid. That's like saying that one team needs to score 5 points more than their opponent. "Hey, it's not the Cowboys fault - the Lions had plenty of chances to score 5 more points".

Detroit had 3 minutes, two timeouts for the win. I don't post on Cowboys boards. I think it's funny all the Dallas haters are telling us how we should act or else. The LIONS SCORED THREE SECOND HALF POINTS.

That's exactly my point. THEY ONLY NEEDED TO SCORE ONE SECOND HALF POINT. They simply can't be blamed for Dallas being given 7 points (or however you want to calculate whatever points Detroit had taken off the board for not getting that call).

What's wrong with simply saying "lol yeah that was great!" It's like a matter of personal pride that some people can't accept that the game was heavily slanted towards their team's favor.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because we don't necessarily agree, doesn't mean we can't view the play as objectively and it doesn't mean that we shouldn't post here. That's just ridiculous. Now, I'm going to try and break down the play as objectively as I can:

As Pettigrew is crossing the field, Hitchens sees him and runs with him. Clearly, when Pettigrew begins to turn up field, Hitchens grabs his jersey but in the instant just before that, Pettigrew pushes Hitchens. As they both make their way up the field, Pettigrew again extends his arms towards Hitchens. This time, grabbing Hitchen's facemask and yanking it a little bit.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RepentantAgileBats.gif

(Remember at this point the ball is already in the air.)

When Pettigrew let's go, Hitchens then raises both of his arms, with his left arm pushing into Pettigrew's right shoulder. When Hitchens lifts his left arm off of Pettigrew, the ball hits him in the back. There could have been two penalties called on both Pettigrew and Hitchens.

As for Dez coming onto the field, the NFL VP of Officiating basically said that was a judgement call (as the penalty would have been for confronting an official, not coming onto the field without his helmet like everyone is arguing) and they would have been okay with a penalty thrown.

I do admit, and have admitted, that the Cowboys were lucky in that call. No denying that, but to say that call gave the win to Dallas is laughable. It's also absurd to try and dismiss anyone who points out that the Officials missed calls and made bad calls on both teams just because the other's didn't happen in the 4th quarter.

This article explains what us Cowboys fans are trying to convey quite nicely: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-detroit-lions-dallas-cowboys-pass-interference-call/

EDIT: This needs mentioning as well. When people are trying to say that the referees were calling the game in favor of Dallas, remember that Detroit was the 2nd most penalized team in 2014 whereas the Cowboys were only tied for the 14th fewest.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

It does mean that you can't view it objectively because it's black and white. If I say 1+1=3 does that mean that I simply have a different opinion or that I'm wrong?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 90s Cowboys weren't especially likeable, but they did earn every bit of their reputation. They felt like a video game all-star team (if only because Emmitt Smith was essentially untouchable in Madden 94), and they played with swagger before that was a thing.

The Miami Hurricanes of the '80s would quibble with you there.

That's 30 for 30 revisionism.

In all my years of watching football, the Canes were the first team I remember going all out with the swagger bit. Watching Michael Irvin (Miami Hurricanes version) act like he'd just scored the game winning TD after a 4 yard catch was pretty annoying. It just might be that Irvin brought the Canes swagger show to the Cowboys. Just an observation from someone who was around and watching football at the time in question.

They were also coached by Jimmy Johnson... another pretty important guy in Canes lore.

Didn't the league also admit that they missed a blatant hold against suh on the last drive too?

Yes they did. Are they trying to keep the "This league is fixed" people away? This just adds more fuel to the fire that the league, through its officials, DO favor the Cowboys.

The book "Scorecasting" looked at data and claimed that officiating is THE biggest home field advantage. In the NFL, home teams are called for .5 less penalties per game and for less total yardage. In critical situations, penalty bias increases.

It's all home teams!

Well then I guess the Packers should get more calls to go in their favor...we shall see.
If you want to live in the world of conspiracy and The Sports Illuminati, go right ahead. If you're so stuck on games being rigged, how confident are you that CBS will demand another Manning v. Brady for next week?

http://phillyinferno.com/2013/05/29/what-contributes-to-home-field-advantage-in-the-nfl/

Why are you quoting me? I'm just saying that if home teams get more calls then the Packers should get more. Nothing about conspiracies coming from me.

The 90s Cowboys weren't especially likeable, but they did earn every bit of their reputation. They felt like a video game all-star team (if only because Emmitt Smith was essentially untouchable in Madden 94), and they played with swagger before that was a thing.

The Miami Hurricanes of the '80s would quibble with you there.

That's 30 for 30 revisionism.

In all my years of watching football, the Canes were the first team I remember going all out with the swagger bit. Watching Michael Irvin (Miami Hurricanes version) act like he'd just scored the game winning TD after a 4 yard catch was pretty annoying. It just might be that Irvin brought the Canes swagger show to the Cowboys. Just an observation from someone who was around and watching football at the time in question.

They were also coached by Jimmy Johnson... another pretty important guy in Canes lore.

Those are good points!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

donovan-mcnabb-philadelphia-eagles-1028j

What is this I'm in phone.

I do not dispute that the penalties all around were bad and played a hand in the Cowboys winning. There is no question it helped shift the momentum of the game. Lions fans should be pissed about that and I will not dispute it because it is a fair claim. That said the Lions did their fair share if not more to lose the game by their own merits.

reiterating what I said, I don't dispute the outrage over the penalties because it did, and I fully acknowledge this, helped shift the momentum. The outrage people have over this is justified. People have a right to be mad because in some regards, it helped create a favorable situation for the Cowboys to capitalize on this. People shouldn't be mad at the Cowboys, people should be mad at the refs. They created the situation. THe cowboys basically did what any other team or person given the same favorable situation would have done and that's take advantage of a favorable situation. Let's also not forget the Lions not doing themselves any favors in the second half.

I really don't understand what people want the Cowboys or their fans to do? Flog themselves because of the sins of the refs?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Just doing one of his stupid things that he did. He ran out of bounds and just picked up their sideline phone and pretended to talk. I actually found this one to be pretty funny, as opposed to every other thing about his very existence.

He is Bill Belicheat, you may be a Patriots fan but you are rooting for Cobra Kai.

Still not as bad as trafficking cocaine, but to each their own.

Mercury had to do something after he retired.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I found most of those to be stupid and embarrassing for Kelly to even be in.

The only ones that are even remotely funny are

1. The one where the player asks for the play and then goes to the chips to get it

2. The one where he has Donnie Jones punt the bag of chips

3. The last one with the security guy (and that was barely even funny.)

I found most of those to be stupid and embarrassing for Kelly to even be in.

The only ones that are even remotely funny are

1. The one where the player asks for the play and then goes to the chips to get it

2. The one where he has Donnie Jones punt the bag of chips

3. The last one with the security guy (and that was barely even funny.)

Keep making that money Chip!

BBTV, don't try to find the Jerry Jones commercials for Papa Johns.

Archived