2014 NFL Season Thread

Quick little rant: On Facebook and Twitter, I have seen a lot of hate being shown towards the Cowboys about the call tonight, and I've heard "karma" being used a lot. Well, the Cowboys aren't the reason the call was reversed. Blame the refs, not the team that won.

I still don't understand how people think it was a bad call. I can't think of an instance I've seen in the NFL in the last 3 or so years where, even after a challenge, they've ruled in favor of the WR on a play like that. The rule doesn't say anything about a football move or about reaching forward or anything, it just says if you go to the ground in the process of making a catch, you have to possess the ball through contact with the ground, which he did not. It is a stupid, stupid rule. But as per the rules, the call was correct.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12 man thing I get - that's nauseating. I also get that people don't all like Pete Carroll - he comes off as a little smug. That being said, I find it hard not to like this seahawks team. I haven't seem them play much but fell in love during the SB, and that affair has continued this season when I've seen them (i did not see this weekends games.) I absolutely want them to win, and to become the dominant heel that every team in the NFC needs to step up and beat. Two SBs doesn't make you a dynasty, but it's about as close as you're going to get anymore, and I think sports needs that.

You don't share a room division with them. They can fall into to sea at any time and I'd be cool with that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Quick little rant: On Facebook and Twitter, I have seen a lot of hate being shown towards the Cowboys about the call tonight, and I've heard "karma" being used a lot. Well, the Cowboys aren't the reason the call was reversed. Blame the refs, not the team that won.

I still don't understand how people think it was a bad call. I can't think of an instance I've seen in the NFL in the last 3 or so years where, even after a challenge, they've ruled in favor of the WR on a play like that. The rule doesn't say anything about a football move or about reaching forward or anything, it just says if you go to the ground in the process of making a catch, you have to possess the ball through contact with the ground, which he did not. It is a stupid, stupid rule. But as per the rules, the call was correct.

But there has to be some way to draw that line. Some people have been saying "football move". He had three steps. Obviously if he'd run 15 yards, it would be a catch/fumble. Maybe we are not even disagreeing; that is what makes the rule so terrible. Based on my reading of the rule, I honestly would not know what to call this play. Why? Because a line has to be drawn; somewhere between one step and after running 15 yards. I don't know where that line is. It sounds, based on Perrera and what I've red, that this call was consistent with the way this rule's been called. But as far as how it's written and what happened...I'd tend to think of it as a catch.

And I still can't imagine this happening to Dallas vs. about 28 of the NFL's teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Who doesn't like Russell Wilson? I mean, I could see getting tired of the goody-two-shoes act (except that it's not), but what else is there?

Here's the list of quarterbacks you can like and dislike:

OK to Like:

Russell Wilson

Andrew Luck

Derek Carr

Nick Foles

Ryan Tannehill

Tedy Bridgewater

Joe Flacco

Aaron Rodgers, but only kind of

OK to Dislike:

Tom Brady - wins too much and is a prettyboy and probably cheats every game

Peyton Manning - a pretty big loser considering how much he wins; pizza

Tony Romo - never wins

Ben Roethelisberger - sexually assaults women

Jay Cutler - kind of a dick

Andy Dalton - not good at playoffs

Matthew Stafford - can't beat winning teams

Carson Palmer - can't stay healthy or win meaningful games

Mark Sanchez - buttfumble lol

Who cares:

Everyone else

There you go!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But there has to be some way to draw that line. Some people have been saying "football move". He had three steps. Obviously if he'd run 15 yards, it would be a catch/fumble. Maybe we are not even disagreeing; that is what makes the rule so terrible. Based on my reading of the rule, I honestly would not know what to call this play. Why? Because a line has to be drawn; somewhere between one step and after running 15 yards. I don't know where that line is. It sounds, based on Perrera and what I've red, that this call was consistent with the way this rule's been called. But as far as how it's written and what happened...I'd tend to think of it as a catch.

And I still can't imagine this happening to Dallas vs. about 28 of the NFL's teams.

The call being reversed that I was originally referring to was the one against Detroit that got people all riled up to begin with. I was unable to watch the game today, and I actually just watched the footage of the catch right now. If it were me, the ruling would have stood. It was ruled a catch on the field, and I don't think there was enough to overturn the call. It was definitely close, though, no doubt.

I'm bias, but once his knee hit he should've been down by contact. At that point he had possession, and it wasn't until he went for the goal line when the ball got loose. That is such a weird rule.

If Peyton retires, what's his legacy?

I think he'll go down as a stat-stuffing frontrunner who played his best when it mattered least.

When it matters most, he never did a damn thing when it counted.

In lieu of just suggesting that you attempt some activity that would end in your certain demise, I'll just put this out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmWpppLC80

He won a :censored: ing Super Bowl dip :censored: . More recently than Tom Brady did and more than Jim Kelly ever did.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Who doesn't like Russell Wilson?

I'll get on liking him the second Seattle trades him to an AFC team.

Today, we are all otaku.

A whole lot of people - including his teammates if the press is to be believed.

EDIT: Wilson's "goody two shoes" bit is totally an act.

He ain't black, he's wack. That's what it boils down to. And it's stupid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's a stupid rule, there's no arguing that. And you can look at it and, if you've never seen an NFL game in your life, wonder how it's even a question of whether or not he caught the ball... but that's the way it's called in the NFL and it's the way it's been called and for that reason, it was the right call.

I'm bias, but once his knee hit he should've been down by contact. At that point he had possession, and it wasn't until he went for the goal line when the ball got loose. That is such a weird rule.

But that's just not how the rule has ever been called. He had to possess the ball through contact with the ground. He did not.

IUe6Hvh.png

I wanted to make that argument but I kinda think he gained possession after contact was done being made.

Am I also the only one not convinced the ball hit the ground at all?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

The 12 man thing I get - that's nauseating. I also get that people don't all like Pete Carroll - he comes off as a little smug. That being said, I find it hard not to like this seahawks team. I haven't seem them play much but fell in love during the SB, and that affair has continued this season when I've seen them (i did not see this weekends games.) I absolutely want them to win, and to become the dominant heel that every team in the NFC needs to step up and beat. Two SBs doesn't make you a dynasty, but it's about as close as you're going to get anymore, and I think sports needs that.

Heel? Really??

I guess finally being able to see my team win a title and on target to have a repeat might carry that label.

But, as a fan... this is a long time coming. There have been great moments for the Seahawks. I'm old enough to remember the days of Chuck Knox and Curt Warner (That's Curt with a 'C' mind you) and Dave Krieg. Those were good times then. Then everything nearly fell apart. I was still young, but learning that the owner threaten to move the team to Los Angeles is a scary thing.

Not to mention that before last year, the sports fan in Seattle had the burden of knowing that it has been since 1979 when the Sonics won the NBA championship. Now, it just feels weird that people have jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm a loyal fan, and that means that my team is the one everyone hates... so be it. I love being the hunter and not the hunted.

If you're referring to Wilson's teammates, the ones that don't like him feel that way because they see him as an arrogant ass.

If you're referring to me, go :censored: yourself. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I wanted to make that argument but I kinda think he gained possession after contact was done being made.

I don't know man, the whole thing makes my head hurt. I'm still trying to figure out how they called the pass Cobb dropped a completion. That ball clearly touched the ground.

If you're referring to Wilson's teammates, the ones that don't like him feel that way because they see him as an arrogant ass.

If you're referring to me, go :censored: yourself. B)

I thought there was stuff about Wilson "not being black enough." At it's face, that is stupid. If they generally see him as an arrogant ass, that could be different.

POTD (Shared)

Hopefully, we'll get Colts - Packers. (What a great uniform match up.)

That would be one of the best SB uniform matchups of all time. Although I may be biased, as some of my favorite SB uniform matchups also include either the Packers or Colts.

Seahawks - Patriots would be an absolute nightmare to watch. Mismatched design elements, clunky numbers, Seahawks in monochrome, Patriots in those awful blue pants... Ugh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

spacer.png

I don't know man, the whole thing makes my head hurt. I'm still trying to figure out how they called the pass Cobb dropped a completion. That ball clearly touched the ground.

The ball can touch the ground and still be a catch.

IUe6Hvh.png

The ball can touch the ground and still be a catch.

I'm somewhere between Jackie Chan confused face, and Playstation Guy mind blown gif on that one. Fix it NFL.

Archived