2014 NFL Season Thread

I wasn't moved on my Tom Brady opinion BTW. He threw two interceptions and needed the dumbest single play call and his defense to bail him out to win his first title in ten years. F*** the patriots.

Meh... they were helmet catched & Manningham'd out of 2 other SB leads late.

If Green Bay didn't blow the lead in Seattle, they would have beaten the Patriots tonight like they did in week 13.

Dude, do you ever shut up? For the love of all that is good... Take. A. Hike.

NO!

Oh lord... As I said before. Take a hike. Let the adults speak here and you just run along and play with all the little morons that look like you, OK?

If Green Bay didn't blow the lead in Seattle, they would have beaten the Patriots tonight like they did in week 13.

Dude, do you ever shut up? For the love of all that is good... Take. A. Hike.

NO!

Oh lord... As I said before. Take a hike. Let the adults speak here and you just run along and play with all the little morons that look like you, OK?

Why don't you just ban me then?!

That's the thing, though. Brady has benefited greatly quite a bit from playing under Belichick, so who honestly knows? Brady's obviously a great QB with great success... but is he even in the conversation if he gets drafted by some other franchise and never hooks up with Belichick? I don't see it.

To their credit, Brady has worked his @$$ off to be as great as he has been in Belichick's system. Not only that but paying off & being able to succeed has allowed both to end up in many more big time games & a ton of victories.

Sure Brady is just a guy, yet he's succeeded enough that he's earned it.

There are genius coaches across all sports who simply don't have that guy like Brady to do what Belichick's been able to - namely build a proper defense to put them over the top. NHL coaches need amazing goalies &/or forwards... NBA coaches need era defining players for rings... MLB coaches need timely pitching to win October.

To suggest that Brady is a fluke in BB's system or that BB is lucky to have Brady is an empty argument. Truth is truth. That's like saying John Wooden wasn't very great because of Abdul Jabbar... or that Torre fluked with the Yankees because his players were great enough as a collective...

Just stop.

To suggest that Brady is a fluke in BB's system or that BB is lucky to have Brady is an empty argument. Truth is truth. That's like saying John Wooden wasn't very great because of Abdul Jabbar... or that Torre fluked with the Yankees because his players were great enough as a collective...

Just stop.

Speaking of organizations that had friends in high places and a commitment to dancing in the gray areas of their rulebook... (Yes, that's the actual and truthful reason why Wooden's accomplishments get called into question.)

I3lO8Nl.jpg7CZby9V.gifRux0Uvo.gif

I noticed this at the time and I was dying laughing at the Super Bowl party. It was like Left Shark is a guy who snuck into the stadium and found himself in the shark costume with no idea what to do.

or this is the test run for the off-Broadway Street Sharks musical

street_sharks_by_darkcorvus07-d6dbcc1.jp

That's the thing, though. Brady has benefited greatly quite a bit from playing under Belichick, so who honestly knows? Brady's obviously a great QB with great success... but is he even in the conversation if he gets drafted by some other franchise and never hooks up with Belichick? I don't see it.

To their credit, Brady has worked his @$$ off to be as great as he has been in Belichick's system. Not only that but paying off & being able to succeed has allowed both to end up in many more big time games & a ton of victories.

Sure Brady is just a guy, yet he's succeeded enough that he's earned it.

There are genius coaches across all sports who simply don't have that guy like Brady to do what Belichick's been able to - namely build a proper defense to put them over the top. NHL coaches need amazing goalies &/or forwards... NBA coaches need era defining players for rings... MLB coaches need timely pitching to win October.

Just stop.

He did go 11-5 with Matt Cassell, who had thrown a whopping 39 passes in his career prior to that season. If you're the all-time best, you can't just be swapped out with a below-average QB and then have your team attain similar levels of success without you.

By the way, you can say that he was Tyree'd and Manningham'd out of two more Super Bowl wins, but they scored 14 points in one of those games and 17 in the other, so you can't really argue he deserved to win either.

I3lO8Nl.jpg7CZby9V.gifRux0Uvo.gif

I noticed this at the time and I was dying laughing at the Super Bowl party. It was like Left Shark is a guy who snuck into the stadium and found himself in the shark costume with no idea what to do.

or this is the test run for the off-Broadway Street Sharks musical

street_sharks_by_darkcorvus07-d6dbcc1.jp

I remember those! Slammu looks like Gronk!

I wasn't moved on my Tom Brady opinion BTW. He threw two interceptions and needed the dumbest single play call and his defense to bail him out to win his first title in ten years. F*** the patriots.

Yeah, I wasn't either. Everything he threw seemed to be within five yards of the line of scrimmage. I'd give the MVP to the kid who made the INT. Or Edelman, to be honest.

But...but..he's an NFL quarterback. You have to give him the MVP by default...

I agree with this. Brady made some good plays and some bad plays. Overall, he played good to allright game, but definitely not an MVP game. That red mini-van had Marshawn Lynch's name on it, but unlike the NHL, they don't award the MVP to a player on the losing team. They could have gave it to one of their stronger offensive fowards, or hell just give to Butler. He's the reason why Brady has his 4th ring.

A couple of years ago, we brought up the discussion of this current, mega-stratification of NFL quarterbacks over the last decade or so. Comparing New Orleans Super Bowls, Joe Flacco in XLVII and Brett Favre in XXXI had nearly identical passing statistics, yet Flacco was chosen Super Bowl MVP of his game, whereas Favre wasn't of his. Jacoby Jones had a better performance two years ago, but was penalized out of MVP honors because he's not an NFL quarterback in today's offense-friendly game.

Tonight, my money would have gone to Edleman or Vereen, but alas, Brady simply being the quarterback of the Super Bowl-winning team was the sway needed for him to take home his 3rd game MVP.

To chime in about the call: Was it a good call? Hell no. Was it a bad call? I don't think a pass play was a bad call, per se, but I just think the pass itself was too risky. Keep in mind that Seattle only had about 22 seconds with one timeout, so they may have had to take a quick shot at the endzone at some point. Lynch didn't have a fantastic game in my eyes, but I DO think that he definitely could've gotten that 1 or 2 yards. Hell, Tom Brady can sneak for that many. I know it wasn't the best call, but I don't think it's as stupid as people are saying.

The funny thing is, if the Seahawks score on that last pass, everyone's commending Carroll for outcoaching Belichick at the most critical point of the game.

Agreed. Instead, it's going to be scrutinized for weeks now.

*sigh* Oh well, At least Seattle won a Super Bowl. I can at least die happy knowing that my loyalty towards the Seahawks wasn't in vain. Hell, they can go 0-16 next year and I'll still be happy.

At least they had one Super Bowl parade. That's about the only thing that will truly console all those devastated Seahawks fans right now.

Imagine if they'd lost last years game.

Between the loss of the Sonics, the laughable trenchery which are the Mariners, not having an NHL team and all those painful postseason endings by the Sounders, Seattle would have been right up there with Buffalo and Cleveland as one of America's most tortured sports cities.

1985 BEARS, THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY

AR-130809859.jpg

Still a shame the Doug Flutie lead '86 Bears lost to Washington in the divisionals. A McMahon lead Bears vs. The Giants in the NFC Championship would have been an awesome brawl.

Isn't the '87 Divisional loss to Washington the worser of the two since (1) Jim McMahon was the quarterback in that one and (2) it was Walter Payton's last game.

• IceCap locked this topic