2014 NFL Season Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Kearse could have caught that ball earlier in the fourth. Or he could have dropped the circus catch. At this point, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, this city wouldn't be do damned depressed today.

Seriously. Everyone getting on the bus this morning looked like they got hit by a bus. Maybe I'm projecting my own thoughts, but the sidewalks felt like people were walking a little bit slower than they were a few days ago.

But at the same time, they won it all last year. I wanted the Seahawks to win and spent a lot of last night thinking about the final play, but as a Bengals fan I'd take the one title and be happy for the rest of time.

That comes later. I'm a Bills fan first, but these Seahawks have become a very strong 1A.

It reminds me of the 2003 Syracuse national championship. That was the first championship among teams I root for, and it was awesome. And in fact, when they lost in sweet sixteens, elite eights and final fours in the following decade, it all doesn't matter because of the one title.

That said, Seattle had an incredible opportunity last night to become a great team in the modern era, and blew it. That sucks no matter how you look at it.

They blew this game, but not a shot at being the team of the 2010's. They are already favored for next year. I don't think it's crazy to think they could nab 1 or 2 rings in the next 5 years.

Just saw that pic of the Seahawk that broke his arm. My forearm hasn't stopped feeling weird since. Ouch.

I'm not going to go through 15+ pages of posts....

Am I the only one that didn't have a problem with the play selection for the Seahawks? I thought it was a good call, but the execution wasn't there. Credit the defender (Butler, I think?) for recognizing the play and defending a spot on the field instead of the receiver. Credit the Patriots coaches for seeing this play before and having a defensive plan in place.

A couple of facts/stats I heard today: Lynch ran the ball five times this season from the 1-yard line and didn't score a touchdown in four of those attempts. (Lynch had also not converted a 3rd-and-1 from inside the Patriots 10 earlier in the game.) And also, throughout the 2014 season, there were 109 passing attempts from the 1-yard line...and Wilson's pass was the only one that was intercepted in those 109 tries.

Most were expecting the Seahawks to run the ball with Lynch. Perhaps the Seahawks were looking to surprise the Patriots with a pass.

Play-call was good. Execution was meh. Defense was great. Defense made a play. Can't be mad about that.

Nope. I thought the call was fine too. If Wilson completes that pass, we're all calling Carroll a genius today.

Sure, but I think they outsmarted themselves. They had time to run and then pass. I get what they were going for, but it seemed so unnecessary.

All things considered, if you're going to pass, passing on 2nd down was probably the best choice. If you run on 2nd and don't get it, the chances you're passing on the next two downs increase significantly. If anything, the Seahawks should have run a different pass play. Maybe something to the corner where it's either caught by your receiver or it goes out of bounds.

I am coming around to the idea of passing since they only had one timeout. But I still hate the play call. You can be less risky while opening up the possibility of Wilson running it in. Plus, lining Lynch up behind Wilson makes the Pats have to consider more options.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As far as I'm concerned, that pass call was a case of dealing with process vs. result. If it works, then, sure, we're hailing Carroll and Bevell as geniuses today because, hey, it worked. That's the way narratives work.

Personally? It was still a bad play call, thus, a bad "process". Sometimes, in micro-small sample sizes, you can get away with a bad process, because sometimes a bad process can still yield a good result. I didn't like the play call last night; Bevell out-thought himself. Wilson still didn't execute, and we saw what happened. Also, if we had at least seen Lynch get stopped on a 2nd-and-goal from the 1, and that play happens on 3rd down, it's certainly more palatable by me. That's what jars me about it; that we didn't even see Seattle call #24 when one yard wins the Super Bowl. That's inconceivable to me.

spacer.png

And we were so close to the Pats again losing to a circus play, as they deserve.

Oh well. I will say the Pats fans on this board have been gracious in victory, which is nice to see.

I think I'm all out of Super Bowl takes! Rack em.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Am I the only one that didn't have a problem with the play selection for the Seahawks? I thought it was a good call, but the execution wasn't there. Credit the defender (Butler, I think?) for recognizing the play and defending a spot on the field instead of the receiver. Credit the Patriots coaches for seeing this play before and having a defensive plan in place.

A couple of facts/stats I heard today: Lynch ran the ball five times this season from the 1-yard line and didn't score a touchdown in four of those attempts. (Lynch had also not converted a 3rd-and-1 from inside the Patriots 10 earlier in the game.) And also, throughout the 2014 season, there were 109 passing attempts from the 1-yard line...and Wilson's pass was the only one that was intercepted in those 109 tries.

Most were expecting the Seahawks to run the ball with Lynch. Perhaps the Seahawks were looking to surprise the Patriots with a pass.

Play-call was good. Execution was meh. Defense was great. Defense made a play. Can't be mad about that.

I think a run would have been a better call, but throwing there isn't the awful call a lot of people (not necessarily here) are making it out to be. The Seahawks were one of the best teams in the league in "power running" situations and the Patriots were one of the worst defending them. The 3rd-and-1 earlier should've been checked out of at the line. The Patriots were had that play defended perfectly and were going to stop it unless there was a missed tackle.

Success from the 1 yard line statistically is pretty even between run and pass plays and with the time remaining the Seahawks had to throw it at least once. I think the specific pass call was what hurt the Seahawks. Getting Russell Wilson on the run seems like it would've been the best thing to do. It gives you the run/throw option and it's a lot easier to make the safe play and throw it away if there's nothing there.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Otto Graham went to 10 straight titles. And won 7. GOAT. Discussion over.

It's so sad that most people forget guys like him. Nobody remembers old history. In 50 years, people will probably say, "Brady Who?" and "Manning Who?". Johnny Unitas was considered the benchmark of great QBs. Now, he isn't even mentioned.

I still have Graham and Unitas (along with Montana) ahead of Brady on my all-time list.

It would be a lot easier for me to add Otto Graham to the best ever conversation if he'd played in a league that wasn't all but segregated. Add the fact that he was being chased around by defensive lineman that were about the size of the typical NFL safety today. And so on...
Was Otto Graham one of the best QBs of his era? Sure, but he was playing an entirely different game back then. To a lesser extent, so were players like Starr and Unitas. Like baseball, when it comes deciding the "best ever", you kind of have to start with when the playing field was level for everyone. Even at the the start of the Super Bowl era, there still were "quotas" for how many minorities were "allowed" on your roster and African Americans were only allowed to play certain positions. It's one of the big reasons the AFL was able to catch up to the NFL as quickly as it did.
So there's that, I guess.

BB52Big.jpg

Nope. I thought the call was fine too. If Wilson completes that pass, we're all calling Carroll a genius today.

Sure, but I think they outsmarted themselves. They had time to run and then pass. I get what they were going for, but it seemed so unnecessary.

All things considered, if you're going to pass, passing on 2nd down was probably the best choice. If you run on 2nd and don't get it, the chances you're passing on the next two downs increase significantly. If anything, the Seahawks should have run a different pass play. Maybe something to the corner where it's either caught by your receiver or it goes out of bounds.

I am coming around to the idea of passing since they only had one timeout. But I still hate the play call. You can be less risky while opening up the possibility of Wilson running it in. Plus, lining Lynch up behind Wilson makes the Pats have to consider more options.

I thought if you're going to do a passing play, it's probably best to go where a defender can't get it, or a bootleg play.

We will focus on the last play for as long as we live. Looking back a little furhter, if Seattle was considered the best defense in the NFL, they should have shut down the Pats in the 4th. Instead it was the Pats D that stood up and/or the Seahawks offense sputtered, not to forget Tom Brady leading the team to score twice. For a stretch from the last Seahawks score to the last Seahawks drive, about 18 min, the Pats had the ball for twice as long and Seattle managed just one first down and two three-and-outs. I think had the Seahawks maintained a drive or two, the Patriots may not have enough time to come back.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Dancing sharks are the second best thing to come out of the Super Bowl. I have no idea why, but I found them to be hilarious.

Oh and Warren Sapp... I guess you could say he was... #Fire-d.

Okay, I'm leaving...

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived