2014 NFL Season Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everybody's focused on the Ray Rice thing right now and for good reason, but I want to talk about something that happened yesterday.

The Cleveland Browns lost their 10th consecutive season opener. That's an NFL record. They're 1-15 in season openers since their expansion into the NFL in 1999. 13 of those losses have been at home. That's astonishing.

Seems unfair having them get 13 out of 16 season openers at home.

That caught my eye as well. Yesterday when I saw the Browns were playing at Pittsburgh I thought "I can't remember the Browns ever opening the season on the road. Are they the Cincinnati Reds of the NFL?". It turns they almost are. I don't know what gives with them getting 13 out of the last 16 game ones at home. Seems like it should a 50% of the time kinda thing. But also, if they're only going to win 1 out of every 16 season openers I'm perfectly okay with them opening every season at home. It'll give those fans something.

Anyways, Ray Rice has played his last snap in the NFL. That 2012 Ravens Super Bowl title was even worse than we knew at the time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The NFL is as image conscious as anyone, so they undoubtedly heard of his interview. If they were serious about doing the right thing, they easily could have contacted Mortensen and gotten hold of the people who had the video. They just figured it wouldn't come out.

I'd argue that the NFL really isn't all that image conscious. If it were, a lot current players would be working elsewhere. The NFL is great at PR. It's really good at getting us to look the other way. We as fans are as much to blame as anyone else. As long as we can watch the games, bet on them, and set our rosters, we're willing to overlook the unpleasant stuff like: wife beating, rampant PED use, sexual assault, players who can't remember how many kids they have, players who karate kick other players in the face, players who chase bounties, coaches who come up with those bounties, players who stomp on the heads of other players, and so on...

BB52Big.jpg

It may have been hard for them to cut him due to union rules or something. I can't imagine the union would dare challenge this suspension or subsequent release now that the tape has been released.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NFL is as image conscious as anyone, so they undoubtedly heard of his interview. If they were serious about doing the right thing, they easily could have contacted Mortensen and gotten hold of the people who had the video. They just figured it wouldn't come out.

I'd argue that the NFL really isn't all that image conscious. If it were, a lot current players would be working elsewhere. The NFL is great at PR. It's really good at getting us to look the other way. We as fans are as much to blame as anyone else. As long as we can watch the games, bet on them, and set our rosters, we're willing to overlook the unpleasant stuff like: wife beating, rampant PED use, sexual assault, players who can't remember how many kids they have, players go karate kick other players in the face, players who chase bounties, coaches who come up with those bounties, players who stomp on the heads of other players, and so on...

That's more or less what I meant. They have an ear to the ground at all times and are great at PR.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It may have been hard for them to cut him due to union rules or something. I can't imagine the union would dare challenge this suspension or subsequent release now that the tape has been released.

NFLPA Executive Director:

"I was one of the last people to see the video, because I was on a plane flying out at oh-dark-thirty this morning, and I saw the video when I landed," Smith said. "And yes, the video is disturbing. As a father, as a husband -- when you see something like that, it's jarring. It's disturbing. For our union and for our players, it's one of those things where you at least try to look at something positive. And that is the reminder how unacceptable any kind of violence, especially domestic violence, should be. It has no place in our lives, and certainly in our community. And that's where we are right now.

"The video is really all the information I've seen. I did learn on the way over to the facility about Mr. Rice being released, and have not yet talked to [NFL Commissioner] Roger [Goodell] about any other discipline. I did hear that [Rice had been suspended], but I tend to rely on the Commissioner and learning all the facts first-hand. That's what we'll do, and once we know what those facts are, that will dictate our next steps."

Edit: Also the New York Giants are a terrible football team.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

TMZ has stated they will release evidence tomorrow that will show NFL not only saw the video before but that they turned a blind eye to it.

It's about to get crazy.

Crap? Check. Fan? Check.

The crap is going to hit the fan, in case it already hadn't and it's only going to get worse from here.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

My two hopes for this are that 1) the Ravens get the same cap hit they would have if Rice was still on the team. They shouldn't benefit from cutting him in this situation; and 2) the Ravens donate remaining money he would have been paid to women's shelters. Also, the NFL should probably make some commercials with players saying "real men don't hit women," for what little impact they might actually have.

I doubt any of those things happen, however.

Why should the ravens have to pay for ray rices horrible actions outside of the cap hit they would get like they would have had for releasing any other player?

There's no way they didn't know what actually happened in the elevator, and they chose to spend the offseason pushing a "Ray Rice is a great guy who made a terrible mistake, we should still love him" narrative. Let them burn.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's so sad seeing Washington, the cowboys, and the Giants being so bad. Really, it's heart breaking.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Monday night football is more like football on Monday night these days.

TMZ has stated they will release evidence tomorrow that will show NFL not only saw the video before but that they turned a blind eye to it.

It's about to get crazy.

Good. I want this whole thing to bend the knee of the mighty NFL. Repercussions are necessary and deserved.

I feel this will moreso bend the knee of Goodell and the powers that be. I don't see this bending the knees of, say, the Broncos or Patriots or Eagles.

There are a lot of NFL teams and players who have done nothing wrong, yet the whole league- including players who have done no wrong and true good guys- feels like they've been gutpunched.

It's about to get crazy.

Good. I want this whole thing to bend the knee of the mighty NFL. Repercussions are necessary and deserved.

I feel this will moreso bend the knee of Goodell and the powers that be. I don't see this bending the knees of, say, the Broncos or Patriots or Eagles.

There are a lot of NFL teams and players who have done nothing wrong, yet the whole league- including players who have done no wrong and true good guys- feels like they've been gutpunched.

Sorry, the position of "crownking" has been filled for this thread. We will keep your resume on file should a vacancy arise in the future.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived