TheSoundofThrowingPennies

2014 NFL Season Thread

I wonder how that conversation must have gone...

Ray: Hey, Roger, just wanted to come out clean and let you know that I hit and KOed my fiancée in an Atlantic City elevator this offseason.

Roger: Oh, that's alright, Ray. We'll sweep this under the rug as long as you continue to increase the NFL's revenue margin with your sky-high jersey sales and whatnot!

Ray: Thanks, Rogie, you're the best!

I wonder how that conversation must have gone...

Ray: Hey, Roger, just wanted to come out clean and let you know that I hit and KOed my fiancée in an Atlantic City elevator this offseason.

Roger: Oh, that's alright, Ray. We'll sweep this under the rug as long as you continue to increase the NFL's revenue margin with your sky-high jersey sales and whatnot!

Ray: Thanks, Rogie, you're the best!

You forgot the part where Roger looks at Janay Rice, since he was in the room too and asked her questions like...

Were you drunk?

Did you deserve it?

What percentage of responsibility do you feel is yours?

Would you like a new pink jersey of your husband? I thought you would.

Is anyone else left wondering what other potential huge news stories the NFL (or other sports leagues for that matter) potentially have been covered up? I'm sure it probably happens a lot more than we think.

Um, Goodell destroyed the evidence in the Patriots "spygate" affair, so they most likely have.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/sports/football/16spy.html&sa=U&ei=f88QVPfXD-SBiwLNl4D4DQ&ved=0CBUQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNFYXAw2KeAqCdJgoqQcjTeN0Mi7OA

This is why I'm still annoyed that Playmakers was cancelled after only one season. It was more realistic than we even knew!

Thank you for the "Playermakers" debacle. The NFL did pressure ESPN to stop producing that (not if ESPN would've still been producing dramas three years after the premiere. It's not like "Tilt" made it to season #2.)

To 'kewp80': The biggest thing the NFL covered up has its own thread here and the Frontline episode was first aired nearly a year ago.

The Concussion Issue

Although I obviously don't condone abuse/domestic violence, the red-headed woman's point is intriguing. Let me tell you, If i was that woman and I was dating a professional athlete who works out for a living, I would not have spit at him or hit him. Now I believe Ray was wrong and his punishment is fair, but i just thought that was interesting

Although I obviously don't condone abuse/domestic violence, the red-headed woman's point is intriguing. Let me tell you, If i was that woman and I was dating a professional athlete who works out for a living, I would not have spit at him or hit him. Now I believe Ray was wrong and his punishment is fair, but i just thought that was interesting

Why should that matter?

Everyone wearing a Ray Rice jersey is the worst.

The people that wore ray rice jerseys to the game tonight deserve a swift ray rice-like beating. Those people really are the worst.

I picked the ravens to win this game tonight because I knew they'd "rally" around nobody believing in them and whatever mumbojumbo distraction this may have caused. Athletes love when you count them out, even if the motivation isn't from the most pure of intents.

Also the Steelers aren't the Steelers anymore. Also I am smart.

My friends don't understand why I'm not a Steelers fan. Last night was one of the reasons why: I pick them to win, they lose. Throw in the fact that it was by 20 pts and it makes me angrier. I've got to give props to Baltimore though. They played with a lot of emotion last night, especially in the 1st half.

NFL just dropped Rihanna from the pregame show tonight because having a woman who doesn't entirely mind when a man beats the living crap out of her IS NOT THE RIGHT MESSAGE TO SEND AT THIS TIME

Well I hear that Chis Brown and Ray Rice will perform a duet covering Dean Martin's "You Always Hurt the One You Love"

As far as Goodell, this doesn't make the most disliked commissioner in sports history (maybe since Judge Landis), then I don't know who is. Just given the fact he waited and waited to finally do something makes him about as cupable as

Rice.

Gary Bettman will like to have a word with you.

Still though, just bad all around. Goodell won't resign, though he should.

And during his time was Kenesaw Mountain Landis all that disliked? He really cleaned up the game and brought it into it's heyday.

Kennesaw Mountain Landis robbed America and all of MLB the gifts of seeing Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and many other great black baseball stars. I would say he cleaned up nothing..

That doesn't answer the question. Was he that disliked back then, from what I've read he seemed to be universally respected and helped grow the game.

That's because about 12 of 16 owners back in those days had white sheets in their closet.

You know, I think we've moved past the point of "protecting the shield," and the NFL has now become a huge, 24/7,12 month reality show. Everything it does draws more attention, good or bad, and will probably increase ratings.

This Sunday, about two hours before the first game, I get a notification from the NFL app, of an NFL.com story that John Harbaugh has lost the 49ers and his act is wearing thin. I was floored. I mean, I expect that from Fox, CBS, ESPN. I wouldn't think twice if I heard that from Jay Glazer or Adam Scheftler. But the NFL has moved onto scooping itself and airing its own dirty laundry in such a way? Now I see the NFL, which was previously able to force ESPN to cancel a highly-rated show, airing a broadcast last night in which NFL-employed announcers are saying the original two-game suspension was horribly wrong. The NFL is letting it come to light that Goddell knew about the punches? What the hell is going on here? I seriously half-think that the NFL is in don't give a :censored: mode, and is glad to take any notoriety it can.

NFL just dropped Rihanna from the pregame show tonight because having a woman who doesn't entirely mind when a man beats the living crap out of her IS NOT THE RIGHT MESSAGE TO SEND AT THIS TIME

Well I hear that Chis Brown and Ray Rice will perform a duet covering Dean Martin's "You Always Hurt the One You Love"

As far as Goodell, this doesn't make the most disliked commissioner in sports history (maybe since Judge Landis), then I don't know who is. Just given the fact he waited and waited to finally do something makes him about as cupable as

Rice.

Gary Bettman will like to have a word with you.

Still though, just bad all around. Goodell won't resign, though he should.

And during his time was Kenesaw Mountain Landis all that disliked? He really cleaned up the game and brought it into it's heyday.

Kennesaw Mountain Landis robbed America and all of MLB the gifts of seeing Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and many other great black baseball stars. I would say he cleaned up nothing..

That doesn't answer the question. Was he that disliked back then, from what I've read he seemed to be universally respected and helped grow the game.

That's because about 12 of 16 owners back in those days had white sheets in their closet.

So really you should be blaming them, and really the social norms of the time. Landis was actually known to be pretty liberal when it came to race. I feel he was just going with the status quo and knew it wasn't the right time for integration in baseball. It really wasn't until after WWII that the civil rights movement really got going.

Back on topic, anyone think that the first mentioning of spygate after the 2002 Super Bowl might of been real now? And the NFL covered it up, bought the video guy out, and took any video evidence of it? I was really surprised that when the rumor/story first came out it really didn't go anywhere and no one was talking about it a week later. Then they get caught red handed a couple years later. Anyone think perhaps the NFL really didn't want any controversy swirling around the Super Bowl? Covered up the first rumor, then really couldn't do anything the second time around.

I never heard of "protecting the shield" until this recent scandal. Also, the NFL isn't a police department, so they should stop being weird.

You know, I think we've moved past the point of "protecting the shield," and the NFL has now become a huge, 24/7,12 month reality show. Everything it does draws more attention, good or bad, and will probably increase ratings.

This Sunday, about two hours before the first game, I get a notification from the NFL app, of an NFL.com story that John Harbaugh has lost the 49ers and his act is wearing thin. I was floored. I mean, I expect that from Fox, CBS, ESPN. I wouldn't think twice if I heard that from Jay Glazer or Adam Scheftler. But the NFL has moved onto scooping itself and airing its own dirty laundry in such a way? Now I see the NFL, which was previously able to force ESPN to cancel a highly-rated show, airing a broadcast last night in which NFL-employed announcers are saying the original two-game suspension was horribly wrong. The NFL is letting it come to light that Goddell knew about the punches? What the hell is going on here? I seriously half-think that the NFL is in don't give a :censored: mode, and is glad to take any notoriety it can.

I don't know now NFL.com works, but One of my writer friends who left the newspaper for MLB.com said that it was a separate entity and not "controlled" by MLB so that journalistic integrity (which from a sports perspective is already questionable) remains and they can't be disciplined or fired for responsible reporting. That being said, I think the teams still probably control whatis posted on their website, so I guess they could censor that way.

I never heard of "protecting the shield" until this recent scandal. Also, the NFL isn't a police department, so they should stop being weird.

I figured it was a widespread saying. I've heard it used mockingly for a while by a local sports "personality" who is a disgruntled midget angry that they don't allow him to participate in Bears radio broadcasts.

My point was that from demanding ESPN cancel a hit show eleven years ago to allowing their own website to run rumor articles and their own announcers to say the commish messed up is quite a jump, especially with how tightly the NFL has controlled discussions in the past (such as with concussions). While A-Rod getting suspended for steroids was a huge story, Rodney Harrison gets ripped for four games to barely a mention, then comes back to "warrior" talk. And that's not to mention how they made the Ray Lewis murders a non-story. I almost think they just want controversy at this point.

Between this, the concussion/CTE issue, and the decline in quality of the product, I seriously feel we're witnessing the beginning of the NFL jumping the shark.

Back on topic, anyone think that the first mentioning of spygate after the 2002 Super Bowl might of been real now? And the NFL covered it up, bought the video guy out, and took any video evidence of it? I was really surprised that when the rumor/story first came out it really didn't go anywhere and no one was talking about it a week later. Then they get caught red handed a couple years later. Anyone think perhaps the NFL really didn't want any controversy swirling around the Super Bowl? Covered up the first rumor, then really couldn't do anything the second time around.

Wait, there were rumors of the Patriots spying immediately after that Super Bowl? Got any links to that? I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just genuinely curious because I don't remember that at all.

NFL just dropped Rihanna from the pregame show tonight because having a woman who doesn't entirely mind when a man beats the living crap out of her IS NOT THE RIGHT MESSAGE

TO SEND AT THIS TIME

No Cee-Lo this year instead? :P

Also I definitely remember ESPN bringing up "protecting the shield" a couple of years ago during the replacement ref scandal.

Wait, there were rumors of the Patriots spying immediately after that Super Bowl? Got any links to that? I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just genuinely curious because I don't remember that at all.

Never said it was immediately after. Just when the story first broke you didn't hear anything about it until they were actually caught. Could of been because there was no evidence, or could of been covered up. Like many other things we are learning the NFL covered up.

Never said it was immediately after. Just when the story first broke you didn't hear anything about it until they were actually caught. Could of been because there was no evidence, or could of been covered up. Like many other things we are learning the NFL covered up.

There was no story about it anywhere, find an article from 2002 that suggests the pats filmed the rams practices. Until then just you are just making stuff up.

NFL just dropped Rihanna from the pregame show tonight because having a woman who doesn't entirely mind when a man beats the living crap out of her IS NOT THE RIGHT MESSAGE

TO SEND AT THIS TIME

No Cee-Lo this year instead? :P

Also I definitely remember ESPN bringing up "protecting the shield" a couple of years ago during the replacement ref scandal.

Interesting. Seems weird they have a ready-made slogan when they're acting like :censored:s.

Suffice to say, the NFL kind isn't doing so got these days. That said, of all our pro sports leagues (NCAA, NBA, NHL and MLB), the NFL is still probably best equipped to right its ship and continue growing. People really love football!