2014 NFL Season Thread

I flew to Cincinnati for a wedding this weekend and my girlfriend gave me my birthday present. It was a watch. I've never been happier not to get NFL tickets (for some reason I was SURE she bought Bengals tickets for tomorrow's Falcons game).

I don't plan on spending anything on this league for a long time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To quote a facebook buddy of mine, I am absolutely 100% boycotting the NFL until tomorrow.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I "love" all the whining coming from fantasy football players over the last few days, bitching because Peterson's situation has placed them in a bind. Eff that! Real life is more important than your freaking "fantasy" team. It's time fanatics, of both the NFL and ff, realize that their "players" are just people and can, from time to time, commit crimes.

This is just one of my many issues I have with fantasy football. Players have become nothing but names with stats next to them in the eyes of so many fans.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I stopped playing fantasy football. I find watching games to be more fun that way.

That's why I stopped, myself. I felt so shallow wanting the teams I liked to win, but it made me drunk for games that were 50-47 shootouts. I would get upset if it was a low-scoring game. I couldn't appreciate a good game unless it had high scoring.

Fantasy sports is much better suited for sports you don't entirely love. It gets you familiar with the league's roster and makes you pay a little more attention than you did before. I did this with baseball this past season and it was nice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I stopped playing fantasy football. I find watching games to be more fun that way.

That's why I stopped, myself. I felt so shallow wanting the teams I liked to win, but it made me drunk for games that were 50-47 shootouts. I would get upset if it was a low-scoring game. I couldn't appreciate a good game unless it had high scoring.

Fantasy sports is much better suited for sports you don't entirely love. It gets you familiar with the league's roster and makes you pay a little more attention than you did before. I did this with baseball this past season and it was nice.

To be fair, you take sports a little (well, more like a lot) too seriously. You get volatile over every play or loss that doesn't go your team's way. As long as one keeps things in the perspective they should be in, both are very enjoyable.

Fantasy sports are great in that it helps/causes you to keep tabs on the league as a whole instead of just your team. You learn more about how each team's offenses are designed to work.

I am amused whenever these Sabermetric stat fans announce their disdain for fantasy sports. You would think that stats geeks would absolutely love stat-based games......

I am amused whenever these Sabermetric stat fans announce their disdain for fantasy sports. You would think that stats geeks would absolutely love stat-based games......

I like (but not love) sabermetrics but dislike fantasy sports. Just because I think it's prudent for a team to evaluate players empirically as well as anecdotally doesn't mean I have to have a fantasy team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To be fair, you take hockey a little (well, more like a lot) too seriously. You get volatile over every play or loss that doesn't go your team's way. As long as one keeps things in the perspective they should be in, both are very enjoyable.

Fantasy sports are great in that it helps/causes you to keep tabs on the league as a whole instead of just your team. You learn more about how each team's offenses are designed to work.

Corrected you there. My outrage pretty much is only housed in my Blackhawks rucksack of irrational sports emotion. I'm so used to the Bears losing that I don't really freak out like I did when I was 14.

twitter

Fantasy football is like drugs.

There's no real accomplishment, and you keep on doing it anyway.

You then obsess over it too much that you become crazy, and then you go to based fantasy football rehab.

Once you come back, you either obsess more than you ever did, checking your team day and night that you become insane again, or just forget about it and go on with your life.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To quote a facebook buddy of mine, I am absolutely 100% boycotting the NFL until tomorrow.

This is exactly why things won't really change in the NFL. No matter the Rice's, the Petersen's, the Snyder's, the Hernandez's and the other potential off-the-field screwups the NFL will have in the future, it's just too much effort for a few fans to truly boycott the megalith which is the National Football League.

This, especially with fantasy football people, and why I choose not to associate myself with these blind sheep. Most of the time for wanting to rack up fantasy points by any means necessary, player-centric fans provide (from irrational to downright-insane) claims of still supporting players who undertake real-world issues, such as spousal (Rice) and child (Petersen) abuse.

ESPN NFL countdown is spending their first half hour yelling at me about how abuse is bad but they were all struck as kids. Then Ray Lewis emotionally barfs up some gospel about the worldwide issue of violence to women. Ditka was Ditka.

twitter

ESPN NFL countdown is spending their first half hour yelling at me about how abuse is bad but they were all struck as kids. Then Ray Lewis emotionally barfs up some gospel about the worldwide issue of violence to women. Ditka was Ditka.

I can listen to Chris Carter, because he at least owned his faults, became better, and even thanked Buddy Ryan for kicking him to the curb and slapping him wih reality.

I haven't read too much about the Peterson thing mostly because (not being dramatic here) it literally sickens me, but from reports that I've heard on sports talk radio shows, this could be the biggest thing of all time. It sounds like this wasn't simply a case of spanking, or smacking on the butt with a stick. This is at least abuse, and possibly physical and psychological torture. This has the potential to be 100X worse than anything else we've seen - Rice, Vick, and Lewis included. At least Rice's victim is an adult who could press charges and leave him. I don't want to get in to Vick but I think there's a clear difference there too. Lewis technically didn't "do" anything.

If what i heard was true,and not just sensationalized sports talk, I'm curious to see 1) how he will avoid jail, 2) how the league will respond (is punching a woman worse than torturing and emotionally destroying a child for life?), and 3) if there will be even close to as much outrage over the torture of a child as there was over the torture of dogs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can listen to Chris Carter, because he at least owned his faults, became better, and even thanked Buddy Ryan for kicking him to the curb and slapping him wih reality.

I haven't read too much about the Peterson thing mostly because (not being dramatic here) it literally sickens me, but from reports that I've heard on sports talk radio shows, this could be the biggest thing of all time. It sounds like this wasn't simply a case of spanking, or smacking on the butt with a stick. This is at least abuse, and possibly physical and psychological torture. This has the potential to be 100X worse than anything else we've seen - Rice, Vick, and Lewis included. At least Rice's victim is an adult who could press charges and leave him. I don't want to get in to Vick but I think there's a clear difference there too. Lewis technically didn't "do" anything.

If what i heard was true,and not just sensationalized sports talk, I'm curious to see 1) how he will avoid jail, 2) how the league will respond (is punching a woman worse than torturing and emotionally destroying a child for life?), and 3) if there will be even close to as much outrage over the torture of a child as there was over the torture of dogs.

They're saying Monday is when they'll have a decision, but that's a watery prediction. AP's texts to the boy's mother talked about how he knew she'd be upset, but his intentions were good (instilling discipline and making things 'right' with an unruly child), but that old-world lashing of a switch to a small boy's whole body is not acceptable in this world. If photo evidence comes out showing if the wounds to the kid are extensive and borderline brutal, AP may be in Ray Rice hell.

Edit: Looks like I'm behind on this story.

The “whooping” – as Peterson put it when interviewed by police – occurred in Spring, Texas, in May. Peterson’s son had pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game. As punishment, Peterson grabbed a tree branch – which he consistently referred to as a “switch” – removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

And there are already photos:

0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-5.jpg

Edit 3: Greg Hardy deactivated by the Panthers

twitter

Archived