TheSoundofThrowingPennies

2014 NFL Season Thread

Honestly, with the redneck messiah long gone, I don't think Packers fans are bad at all.

EDIT: Except the dead-enders who are White Sox fans and Packers fans because the Bears used to play at Wrigley Field back when the Chicago Cardinals existed. They are that bad. Get with the times.

EDIT 2: I mean, I nominally consider myself a Raiders fan now, but I don't even watch football anymore because it's terrible. I started the anti-thread, so I guess it's fitting that I like what's become the anti-team. They can't hurt me this way!

EDIT: Except the dead-enders who are White Sox fans and Packers fans because the Bears used to play at Wrigley Field back when the Chicago Cardinals existed. They are that bad. Get with the times.

It's more than just "I don't like the Bears because they played at Wrigley." The Cardinals played most of their seasons at Comiskey, and regionally many of the people who rooted for the Sox rooted for the Cardinals (although the Cards weren't as popular in the city as the Sox were). If they rooted for the Cardinals back then, they likely hated the Bears and would be reluctant to give them their allegiance later. Also, Halas was kind of a dick to the Cardinals and some say he basically forced them out of the city, so that was even more reason for them to dislike the Bears. I just realized last year that an older cousin of mine had followed the Cardinals all these years and has a deep-seeded hatred for the Bears because of Halas. As for the Cardinals fans after they moved, their kids might be Bears fans, but I'd imagine most of them either started rooting for the Packers or just stopped following football entirely. For the ones who did become Packers fans, it wasn't like they had much reason to stop being Packers fans from the mid '60s on. There are a number of Packer families in the south side because of it, but it's not a huge number. Most of the Packers fans in the Chicago area are either Wisconsin expatriates or douchebags who also became fans of the Orlando Magic in 1994 (but stopped in 96) and the Red Sox in 2003.

I just want to see the Steelers one time go 2-14 so their fans can understand what it's like for the rest of us.

You don't want that if you really think about it, because you know they would end up drafting the best QB of all time that next season.

I agree with the thoughts about the Packers. I disliked them growing up just because they were the Bears' division rival, but it has grown to a hatred seeing 1) all the Chicagoland douchers who became Packers fans just because the Packers were good and the Bears were bad, and 2) marrying into Packers fans, who didn't really have a reason to be Packers fans to begin with because they were from Chicago. It might be anecdotal, but I heard that Rex Grossman wasn't tough enough to play with a broken ankle in 2005, and Jay Cutler was a wimp because he didn't play with a severe MCL sprain in 2011, and the Packers would never settle for such cowardice. So, they're much like Steelers fans in them not knowing what it's like to have misfortune. I mean, Favre wouldn't have been able to pop a dozen Vicodins and get back on the field had his ACL snapped, so it wasn't all about toughness. Rodgers has missed games with injuries unlike Favre, but he's still a great QB and nobody in the family outside of my father-in-law saw the Packers without a franchise QB.

That's gonna happen anyway (see; Rodgers, Aaron, going in the 20s)

I just want to see the Steelers one time go 2-14 so their fans can understand what it's like for the rest of us.

You don't want that if you really think about it, because you know they would end up drafting the best QB of all time that next season.

I agree with the thoughts about the Packers. I disliked them growing up just because they were the Bears' division rival, but it has grown to a hatred seeing 1) all the Chicagoland douchers who became Packers fans just because the Packers were good and the Bears were bad, and 2) marrying into Packers fans, who didn't really have a reason to be Packers fans to begin with because they were from Chicago. It might be anecdotal, but I heard that Rex Grossman wasn't tough enough to play with a broken ankle in 2005, and Jay Cutler was a wimp because he didn't play with a severe MCL sprain in 2011, and the Packers would never settle for such cowardice. So, they're much like Steelers fans in them not knowing what it's like to have misfortune. I mean, Favre wouldn't have been able to pop a dozen Vicodins and get back on the field had his ACL snapped, so it wasn't all about toughness. Rodgers has missed games with injuries unlike Favre, but he's still a great QB and nobody in the family outside of my father-in-law saw the Packers without a franchise QB.

That's gonna happen anyway (see; Rodgers, Aaron, going in the 20s)

Or Roethlisberger at 11. The last time the Steelers had a bad record (if you can call 6-10 truly bad) they landed Roethlisberger and went 15-1. So even when they're bad they're still good.

It's more than just "I don't like the Bears because they played at Wrigley." The Cardinals played most of their seasons at Comiskey, and regionally many of the people who rooted for the Sox rooted for the Cardinals (although the Cards weren't as popular in the city as the Sox were). If they rooted for the Cardinals back then, they likely hated the Bears and would be reluctant to give them their allegiance later. Also, Halas was kind of a dick to the Cardinals and some say he basically forced them out of the city, so that was even more reason for them to dislike the Bears. I just realized last year that an older cousin of mine had followed the Cardinals all these years and has a deep-seeded hatred for the Bears because of Halas. As for the Cardinals fans after they moved, their kids might be Bears fans, but I'd imagine most of them either started rooting for the Packers or just stopped following football entirely. For the ones who did become Packers fans, it wasn't like they had much reason to stop being Packers fans from the mid '60s on. There are a number of Packer families in the south side because of it, but it's not a huge number. Most of the Packers fans in the Chicago area are either Wisconsin expatriates or douchebags who also became fans of the Orlando Magic in 1994 (but stopped in 96) and the Red Sox in 2003.

Being a fan of anything Chicago is weird. I don't live there and visit only a few times a year, so I can't take the pulse of the day-to-day populace, but the vibe I get from central Illinois is thus:

• Chicago is a horrible cesspool of liars, corruption, murder, and brown people. Their sports teams all suck, and they're run horribly by bastards for bastards.
  • St. Louis is the greatest and purest sports city ever created, and we are devout Cardinals fans through and through. You won't find much of a Cubs presence, much less a single Sox fan south of Springfield.
  • The Rams don't exist, however - Colts, Cowboys, and Packers! Mostly Colts and Cowboys, though. They're all winners, and they ain't from that dark politically destroyed wasteland they call Chicago. It's the actual capital of the state, didn't ya know!?
  • The Cubs? HAHA! The only people that like the Cubs are the collar-poppin date-rape-druggin' frat jackoffs who wear boat shoes and Ditka-tan.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue about the politics of the city or state, since I don't know much about it and it's kind of futile to argue against, BUT there is something weird about being a fan of any Chicago sports teams because a great deal of their fanbases are the most skeptical, cynical, doubtful sports scrooges that walk the nation's salted earth.

It saddens me that so very rarely is there genuine happiness in the Chicago sports fan community, and it's almost always fleeting or tainted before too long.

What we were talking about again? Screw the Packers and all their Illinois fans. Something like that, I guess.

I had assumed the Patriots were the NFL's Cardinals. Pujols for Brady, LaRussa for Belichik, and all the other interchangeable guys that seem important for a year or two but then they disappear and you forget they ever existed. The big difference is that the Cardinals swapped out their coach and best player and there's no guarantee the Patriots can do the same.

However, you've got the Cardinals and Patriot Ways, regional fan bases made up of mostly white folks, and continued dominance in generally crappy divisions.

The Packers are all right by me.

The thing I hate about living in Orlando is that we always get stuck with the Bucs and Jags games every single week. Two of the worst AND ugliest teams in the NFL. I say this as a Bucs fan as well. I am glad I can watch them but still.

Dolphins are always 3rd in rotation as well, during the Seattle-Denver game I was stuck with a mediocre Dolphins game.

Something to note: The Ravens don't seem to be wearing any of the pink gear today. Probably a good move.

Something to note: The Ravens don't seem to be wearing any of the pink gear today. Probably a good move.

Of all teams though, The Ravens? I doubt they have much of a female fanbase after all the media coverage on Ray Rice.

Cowboys pulling a Cowboy.

Every time I pick against the Bucs' they always shock me.

This feels like one of those seasons where the Cowboys win games by the skin of their teeth and actually make playoffs. They win a wild card game and then get drubbed by Seattle 38-13 in the divisional round.

This feels like one of those seasons where the Cowboys win games by the skin of their teeth and actually make playoffs. They win a wild card game and then get drubbed by Seattle 38-13 in the divisional round.

Yeah, especially when 9-7 will likely get you a Wild Card in the NFC. Plus, they have have yet to cash in two of their wins against the Redskins.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Bailey missed it. Ha!

Wow, the Steelers barely manage to win against the Jags. And yup, Bucs starting to implode.

5 quarters for the price of 4 in Dallas.