2014 NFL Season Thread

I don't even like the term 'Manning vs Brady'. It's not like one is defending against the other. I just see it as two teams with two of the greatest QBs to ever play face each other. It just seems like whether it's been Denver vs NE or Indy vs NE, it's automatically a rivalry just because Tom's team is facing Peyton's team

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even like the term 'Manning vs Brady'. It's not like one is defending against the other. I just see it as two teams with two of the greatest QBs to ever play face each other. It just seems like whether it's been Denver vs NE or Indy vs NE, it's automatically a rivalry just because Tom's team is facing Peyton's team

I agree. That is why I put it in quotation marks. I hate the Quarterback X vs Quarterback Y billing. They don't face each other, ever. It's not like a boxing match where they would.

Football individual rivalries are like baseball rivalries- it's not head to head the way hockey/basketball is.

When LeBron plays Durant- they're on the court at the same time.

When Crosby plays Ovechkin, they're on the ice at the same time.

Unfortunately Marcus Lattimore will retire before he ever got to step foot on a field.

That guy was a beast at South Carolina before he went on his insane injury run. Really disappointing, that guy would've made a great NFL running back.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Seriously, I am so tired of the BRADY RINGS argument crap.

In those 9 playoff games, he was pedestrian in all but 3 of them- the Eagle/Panther SB's, he was great. And the AFC-CG against 15-1 Steelers.

Since then, the guy is 8-8 in the playoffs.

Those 3 SB's are ancient history.

What has he done lately? No rings, chokes. Oh, and Peyton has won the last 2 playoff games head-to-head.

BRADY'S BETTER when he's at home. Guy has only beaten Manning thrice outside Foxboro.

Good points. I don't know why so many people defend him when it's very possible that he's a cheating benefactor. On this other site, these people keep saying that Elway (he got brought up because I have to defend him because these people think that he is the most overrated player ever) has no argument over Brady. That is nonsense. Brady got to his SB's because of his coach. Elway led Denver to three SB's in the 80's in spite of his coach, and after he retired with back to back titles, Shanny only won one playoff game.

Elway was a cheating benefactor too. Salary-cap cheating, illegal chop-blocking schemes, Vaseline jerseys... pretty much any cheating tactic you can think of, Denver was doing it in the '90s.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Salary cap cheating?

When I think of salary cap cheating in the 1990s, I remember what happened with the 49ers. But what exactly did the Broncos do?

They made deferred payments to John Elway and Terrell Davis (with interest). Harold Henderson, the chairman of the Management Council and the NFL's executive vice president of labor relations at the time, said "These agreements were plainly designed to help the club cope with seasonal cash flow problems exacerbated by the Broncos' need to fund front-end expenditures associated with development of the new stadium in Denver."

Basically, as I understand it, money was tight when they were building the new stadium so they had to defer payments to Elway and Davis. Although it was a "cap violation", there was not really any competitive advantage gained by the team.

IUe6Hvh.png

Well if they defer payments, then that leaves more liquid cash to shell out as a signing bonus to someone that they may otherwise have not been able to afford due to money already reserved for Elway's and Davis' paychecks. I have no memory of them signing anyone like that back then, but that's probably why it's considered a violation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well if they defer payments, then that leaves more liquid cash to shell out as a signing bonus to someone that they may otherwise have not been able to afford due to money already reserved for Elway's and Davis' paychecks. I have no memory of them signing anyone like that back then, but that's probably why it's considered a violation.

There were other issues too, specifically one was if Pat Bowlen violated the terms of him buying the team in the first place.

Wherever Al Davis is resting, he is still p!ssed about it.

I feel so bad about Marcus Lattimore, I watched his injury the second one I put it in the worst I ever seen. A shame he could have been great, thankfully he has a good insurance policy that will now pay off.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

^ Which brings up a very good point...

...How come no one's talking about the Cardinals?

They're not part of ESPN's agenda. Remember it's NFC EAST, Patriots, rinse, repeat.

ESPN's NFL coverage pecking order:

1. NFC East

2. Patriots

3. Manning

4. LeBron

5. Cowboys

5. AFC North

6. Jets

7. SEC

8. NFC North

9. Archives of Favre/Tebow

10. Any other NFL team left

These are not your same old Cleveland Browns!!! (dance)(dance)(dance)

Browns can beat any team but can also lose to any team. We've been playing to the level of our competition. One game doesn't change that. This is the same team that lost to Jacksonville. I will enjoy our division lead for a few days (Pittsburgh beats NY easily on Sun). But I'm not going to get too ahead of myself. Cleveland teams always find a way to let us down.

Archived