Stolen Work

NOppenheimer

6 hours ago, Midway said:

I regularly browse Dribbble from time to time and lo and behold I find this:

https://dribbble.com/shots/3298937-Sic-Em-Bears

This is interesting to me because a while back, I posted the very first rendition of that minimalist helmet on these boards. Some users approached me about sharing it to which I replied they could simply trace over it. My line of thinking was that it was a design that really anyone could have come up with so why not let others have fun with it, which they apparently have. But that's not what bugs me about finding it on Dribbble. I take issue with it because as an outsider, it disappoints me that someone on the inside would post this level of work just to pad their own profile. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that if you get invited to a community of that caliber, you should respect the game and post your own ideas instead of piggybacking off something you found on the internet. 

i haven't seen your design, but are you sure this is the same one? i think a lot of people might arrive at a very similar design taking the minimalist direction. that said, if you offered it up as a free resource then, yea its fair game. that also said, dribbble is no longer a community of the professional or exceptional. whoever this person is, its only their second shot of the site and yes, obviously passing this design (if its not his) off as his own is shady at best. im assuming he just doesnt know any better and theres no harmful intent there, so maybe send him a message if you would like to be credited. which you deserve to be if you wish.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, mcrosby said:

Well, now I know it looks good on a helmet: 

UGWNaHq.pngcre3Eux.png

You should keep a few of those... Those are really well done! I don't know what part of those you made, but...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

You should keep a few of those... Those are really well done! I don't know what part of those you made, but...

He made the Navy Midshipmen goat head logo.

• Like 2

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

19 hours ago, mcrosby said:

No response as of yet. 

Facebook has removed their post. Instagram and ebay haven't so far. 

I haven't sent any official cease and desist yet, that'll be the next step. 

I reported the insta post for intellectual property violation. Any feedback from the NFL or ncaa for the use of their logos?

F423144C-433F-4358-B49C-4EB2A9DFD1BB.png

3 hours ago, Jbadger9 said:

None are all concepts from various artists, the youtube poster doesn't claim to have made them, just presenting them without giving credit. 

4 hours ago, Jbadger9 said:

I reported the insta post for intellectual property violation. Any feedback from the NFL or ncaa for the use of their logos?

Nothing yet. 

5 hours ago, mcrosby said:

None are all concepts from various artists, the youtube poster doesn't claim to have made them, just presenting them without giving credit. 

Yeah, not too mad about it. Wish he'd come to me though. Used my Magic one too. 

• Like 1

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

4 hours ago, mcrosby said:

They've removed all social media posts and apologized...and now want to inquire as to purchasing designs from me. 

From a moral standpoint; don't do it.

From an economic standpoint; do it!

It's really up to you, though. I personally wouldn't do it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

From a moral standpoint; don't do it.

From an economic standpoint; do it!

It's really up to you, though. I personally wouldn't do it.

That's an awfully expensive high horse.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. You have an opportunity to make money off of a design you made.  Make money. You never know where it could lead.

Side note - Is it really yours since you admittedly started with the intellectual property of Navy?  I thought what was theirs is always theirs.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

38 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You have an opportunity to make money off of a design you made.  Make money. You never know where it could lead.

True, but morally, it just seems wrong to me. It seems wrong for someone to steal your design, but then make it theirs using their money.

7 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

True, but morally, it just seems wrong to me. It seems wrong for someone to steal your design, but then make it theirs using their money.

So - are you okay with having taken the Navy logo in the first place to make a logo that you could sell mini helmets on which it is used?

Edit - I'm not really trying to be an ass with this. I find the juxtaposition of IP theft an interesting mental game here.  I'll shut up about it.

Edited by Sec19Row53
clarification of intent

It's where I sit.