NBAxSoccer Crossover: ATL/TOR UPDATES

BlackBolt3

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS:

NOPelicansSoccerPre.png

I think I really went off the deep end for this one. The home has the real life side panels as a center stripe, with the iron design seen in some of the city's architecture inside. A full blown jester/Mardi Gras look is the away kit, and the alternate is and understated red get-up with a crescent around the crest; going towards the city's nickname of Crescent City.

I know I'm late to the party, but this stuff is great! my main critique would be to take out the 2 hexagon lumps (I now it's a soccer ball, but it looks a bit weird) and I would put in a 2014 for the year created, as some soccer teams do.

tinysig.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I've had this one in the stable for a while, but it seems right to put out now...

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS:

SeattleSonicsSoccerPre.png

Straight up, one of my favorite works in this series. Kept the famous hoop design, but gave it some flavor. While the away kit keeps it classic, the home contains an emerald design, for the Emerald City, and the alternate is what I call "yellow-scale".

I think I'll do a new one once a month, at least until I get bored with it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I don't comment often on these boards but I just went through this entire series and Blackbolt you did an incredible job on these concepts. I was honestly blown away with the subtle elements you included in each design. Also the "soccer-revisions" you made on existing NBA logos came out flawless and super clean. Really talented work dude!

I'm late to the game on this series but it meant I was able to go through them all at once I guess.

You clearly understand soccer shirt design tendencies or have done your research. I mean, there are a few where the patterns on the front are a little over the top but I guess that was needed to portray the NBA teams identity. Some of the ways you incorporated parts of team's logos, current NBA jersey designs or even modified existing soccer looks were fantastic.

Almost all of these are spot on and I really enjoyed scrolling through this thread.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I'm late to the game on this series but it meant I was able to go through them all at once I guess.

You clearly understand soccer shirt design tendencies or have done your research. I mean, there are a few where the patterns on the front are a little over the top but I guess that was needed to portray the NBA teams identity. Some of the ways you incorporated parts of team's logos, current NBA jersey designs or even modified existing soccer looks were fantastic.

Almost all of these are spot on and I really enjoyed scrolling through this thread.

Wow, this is a good response from across the pond. Cool.

Marble, you say I understand soccer design, but to be honest, I just got into the sport in recent years. Just five years ago, I hated soccer. I don't know exactly what happened, I just started to like it. Maybe it was just summer boredom, but I'm just a high school kid from North Carolina. I don't know the intricacies of soccer design, so I just went off what I saw in the 2012 Euro/2014 WC. And everything just kinda clicked.

I didn't think the Sonics concept (or this whole series really) would get this much buzz, so I know I'll do more. I know in February I'll do the All-Star Game, and in March, I'll do the Vancouver Grizzlies. From that point, I'm not sure, so I'll look back in the realms of failed NBA teams.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Wow, this is a good response from across the pond. Cool.

Marble, you say I understand soccer design, but to be honest, I just got into the sport in recent years. Just five years ago, I hated soccer. I don't know exactly what happened, I just started to like it. Maybe it was just summer boredom, but I'm just a high school kid from North Carolina. I don't know the intricacies of soccer design, so I just went off what I saw in the 2012 Euro/2014 WC. And everything just kinda clicked.

A similar thing happened to me with American sports funnily enough. I can certainly see the WC2014 inspiration on the Nuggets away (Germany).

To try and put into words what you have "done" by imitating soccer design is to create a simple but prominent single design feature which does not interfere with the placements of crests, manufacturer marks or sponsorship placement. A lot of the time your designs compliment these placements in fact (eg Sonics).

What you did with the Nets alternate could be a possible route for extra concepts. Throwbacks featuring retro logos and retro inspired crests with varying eras depending on when teams were successful or were formed etc.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• 3 weeks later...

2015 NBA ALL-STAR GAME:

NBAASGSoccerPre.png

So, the All-Star Game is next week, and I decided to get the ball rolling today. My concept is practically a copy of what the players will wear the 15th, with a few tweaks here and there. A jock tag at the bottom front hem really gives the "blacktop" feel. (And before anyone asks me, I made the concept before Kobe was done for the season.)

Fairly sure I'll do the Vancouver Grizzlies or Charlotte Bobcats next, next month or whenever I get around to it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived