Best NCAA FCS logo

damnyoutuesday

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aboutpage.gif

I'm a fan of the Griffin, though I'm as student at William and Mary so I might be biased

Huh? A Griffin for the Tribe!? I get they wanna be all PC and everything, but this makes no sense to me...

Yep, a Griffin...because the NCAA objected to a feather.

To expand on this: We used to be the Indians, with a WM logo with two feathers. The name was banned by the NCAA, so we switched to Tribe under the idea that it isn't referring specifically to Indians or any culture. That was OK, but the feathers had to go. So the school conducted a poll where alumnus could submit names. The 5 finalists were a pug, a wren (There's a famous building on our campus called the Wren building), a king and queen (A dual-mascot), a phoenix, and, of course, the griffin. President Reely chose the the Griffin because it has the body of a lion (William and Mary was chartered by Queen Mary and King William, the lion was the royal seal of Britain) and the body of an eagle (America's animal, and since countless founding father's and three Presidents went there WM played a huge role in the founding of America). Plus, Griffin's are often the guardians of treasure and WM is a treasure (President's words, not mine). And, Griffins are awesome and WM is awesome (Again, President's words, not mine).

And despite the fact that Griffins have wings and feathers, WM is not allowed to put feathers on their logo. Because the NCAA makes sense

I agree with what SCS said. A king and queen would have been better, but I get the symbolism with the griffin. At least the part with the lion representing Britain and the eagle representing America.

When did this change happen? I've been to Williamsburg a couple times (beautiful historic town BTW, would love to live there), the last time being a couple years ago. The only logo it seems that I saw was the Tribe wordmark and the institution's official crest/logo.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

aboutpage.gif

I'm a fan of the Griffin, though I'm as student at William and Mary so I might be biased

Huh? A Griffin for the Tribe!? I get they wanna be all PC and everything, but this makes no sense to me...

To expand on this: We used to be the Indians, with a WM logo with two feathers. The name was banned by the NCAA, so we switched to Tribe under the idea that it isn't referring specifically to Indians or any culture. That was OK, but the feathers had to go. So the school conducted a poll where alumnus could submit names. The 5 finalists were a pug, a wren (There's a famous building on our campus called the Wren building), a king and queen (A dual-mascot), a phoenix, and, of course, the griffin. President Reely chose the the Griffin because it has the body of a lion (William and Mary was chartered by Queen Mary and King William, the lion was the royal seal of Britain) and the body of an eagle (America's animal, and since countless founding father's and three Presidents went there WM played a huge role in the founding of America). Plus, Griffin's are often the guardians of treasure and WM is a treasure (President's words, not mine). And, Griffins are awesome and WM is awesome (Again, President's words, not mine).

And despite the fact that Griffins have wings and feathers, WM is not allowed to put feathers on their logo. Because the NCAA makes sense

A pug? Huh... Interesting...

aboutpage.gif

I agree with what SCS said. A king and queen would have been better, but I get the symbolism with the griffin. At least the part with the lion representing Britain and the eagle representing America.

When did this change happen? I've been to Williamsburg a couple times (beautiful historic town BTW, would love to live there), the last time being a couple years ago. The only logo it seems that I saw was the Tribe wordmark and the institution's official crest/logo.

Maybe like 4-5 years ago. This site says the logo has been in use since 2004, but that's not accurate

Ladies and gentlemen, the University of the Incarnate Word:

1617_incarnate_word__cardinals-primary-2

Never seen this. That's probably the best cardinal logo I've ever seen...

...if cardinals had red beaks.

220px-Northern_Cardinal_Broadside.jpg

All the ones with yellow beaks are technically wrong.

They say you learn something new every day...in this case, it's true. I had no idea...thank you. That's what I get for relying on the St Louis Cardinals, the Louisville Cardinals, and the Arizona Cardinals for logo accuracy.

Likewise. I feel like my whole life has been a lie. :)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not technically FCS, but I love the St. Louis Billikens. It reminds me a bit of logos like the Cleveland Brown Pixie.

bills.gif

Also, they have this horrifyingly awesome statue on campus:

Slu_billiken.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've always wondered why the Buffalo Bills let a Division 1 university use their logo.

I think Howard had it first but they didn't trademark it

Correct.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Glad I'm not the only one that's wondered why the Buffalo Bills allow Howard University to use that logo (and sell it on merchandise). People on this site immediately start bashing Howard when it comes to the logo. Yet nobody has ever questioned why the Bills (NFL or the late Ralph Wilson) never filed any sort of legal action against Howard. I'm guessing there was some sort of handshake deal made allowing Howard to be the only other organization usage the logo.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2014 at 9:22 PM, GeauxColonels said:

TECHNICALLY, it's "blue hen chicken" which means you can have a male blue hen....doesn't mean that the mascot isn't female though. That I have no idea about.

Well, the state bird is a Delaware Blue Hen rooster, and the primary use for the species is :censored:-fighting, so I think it's safe to go with male..

Archived