Dirt Dogs Baseball - Hat Logo

EasleyK

I have been asked to design a hat logo for a friends' son's baseball team, the Dirt Dogs. their logo is a bulldog with red collar & spikes, so I was trying to play off of that. But, not sure exactly the best look for it.

Bottom row isnt much different other than removing the point on the inside of the D. my daughter thought it looked too much like a B.

the non-existance of a white outline around the spike bothers me in the right-most image, so I added a white outline to the bottom right to get an idea. However, adding it to both spikes really extended the image too far to the right.

I'm not much of a designer, more of a tinker'er. Would love some feedback, understanding my Illustrator skills are minimal.

Dirt-Dogs-hat.png

I think your daughter is right--in the top row the Ds do look like Bs. I think the best version is the bottom middle.

Overall, I think it would be good to explore other options for the spike--at first look a single spike doesn't really convey "spiked dog collar" to me. Maybe turn the logo into a roundel that has the DD enclosed in a circular spiked collar?

I agree with the guy above me, there needs to be more white spikes in this logo to get the idea of a spiked collar across. Right now the white spikes look like teeth sticking straight out, and teeth don't look like that in real life. See the point in the middle left in the top D? Why not make that a white spike pointing left? That way there would be white spikes on both sides and would give more of a sense of a spiked collar. You could probably add more white spikes in the middle too, pointing toward the viewer. Play around with it a bit, I'd like to see what you come up with. :)

Also I think there should be white outlines on the outside of the spikes' black outlines, just so the white outlines around the entire logo are continuous.

Appreciate the feedback. Made some alternates based on suggestions so far.

I like the single or double spike. i think the triple is too much and it makes me thing of bear claws for some reason. the roundel would be a good sleeve patch, but maybe too small/detailed for a hat logo?

Dirt-Dogs-hat2.png

I agree with TShaw528. For a cap, all you'd need is the DD logo. I like the roundel with the spikes for other uses though. I think that says "dog collar". Only suggestion would be to add a few more spikes, as dog collars usually have more than 8 around the entire thing. (I'm no expert, I'm just basing my opinion off a quick Google image search.) If you add spikes and they get too overpowering, you could shrink them a bit and not hurt the design I think.

The versions on the bottom sort of look like bear claws to me.

Nice work!

It's good, but the DD mark looks an awful lot like the emblem for the Marvel character Daredevil (https://www.google.com/search?q=daredevil+emblem&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KdfkU9K5FcuYyASS0ILQCA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=625)

If you keep the DD as is, I'd go with the collar - but match the stroke-width of that inner white circle to the thickness of the stroke around the DD. It looks odd being the only thing different. Nice work!

Daredevil! The dawg without fear! lol I liked the idea of using just DD on cap while the one with collar could suit well as a left chest on jersey. Not really fan of having spikes on DD, it is hard to notice that as a interlocked DD.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Archived