Sports Video Games

TorinK92

Am I the only one who thinks there needs to be more arcade style sports games? As someone who grew to love sports (and uniforms) from video games, I feel that today's simulation style games aren't as accessible to someone trying to get into sports. Am I saying EA, 2K, & Sony should dumb down their games? Of course not. I just think that you need NFL Blitz and The BIGS so someone who doesn't know about passer ratings or infield shifts can get into the game a little more.

Anyways, this might be more of a topic for the Sports Logos forum, but here it goes; are there any games that got you interested in logos, jerseys, and sports design? NBA Live 2003 was big for me because while I had seen the Red 76ers jerseys of Dr. J and the 80's Hawks jerseys with the Pac-Man logo on the shorts before I had the game, once I got it, I was introduced to more obscure sets like the Clippers' Buffalo Braves jerseys and Toronto's unis with the GHR (Giant Honkin' Raptor), which whetted my curiosity of NBA jerseys and teams.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does make sense. I would assume the companies just weren't making enough money off of them to continue to produce them, especially as graphics and everything have become more and more complex and require more time/money to produce the games.

My game of choice is MLB The Show, which is great. There are a few things they need to tweak, though. First being the rating system in RTTS mode. My player is early in his fourth year and is a 97 rated CF and I think I've reached a point where some his stats are going to start declining at a pace that I can't really keep up with since it takes so many points just to upgrade them. My other issue is in franchise mode -- they need to overhaul the menu system to make things a little easier to access as well as provide prospect rankings or a way to compare guys a little easier than just the alphabet grading system. Fortunately I've downloaded custom roster with accurate minor leaguers and have been able to use prospect lists from online, but it's sort of a hassle.

IUe6Hvh.png

I want NFL/NBA Street and back yard games brought to the new consoles

I feel you could even have NHL street where they play roller hockey

And I think there may be still a FIFA street game but I'm not sure.

I feel all of these would be excellent games that people would buy today and make lots of money with them

The last FIFA Street was a major letdown.

agreed. It was more about learning how to flick the joystick on the controller in as many ways as possible than anything else.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I am currently in the process of creating the 1957 Milwaukee Braves roster on MLB 14 The Show. I might be posting it, if anyone's interested. I might have to get my dad's permission to upload it first, since I play on his Playstion Network account.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

After spending a year on my shelf, gathering dust in shame, I reluctantly popped Madden NFL 25 into my X360 and...

...it's...it's alright, I guess. I feel like Madden has changed virtually nothing since Madden 2004. Even the character models still look bad. The players are alright, but they don't even look like their photos most of the time. Coaches and reporters all are dog :censored: . The game is laggy as hell, even the menus. Just kinda...meh.

I'm enjoying playing it, since I like playing football games, but overall it's just a piece of crap. I have no enthusiasm to buy an Xbone, but still probably will for NHL games. I'll just wait until it goes down in price again.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would like a Blitz The League style football game to be released on the next gen systems. If you don't know what Blitz The League was, it was a football game that focused on injuries and the dark side of pro football.

But at this point, any football game that isn't Madden would be nice.

Madden games haven't been the same since the switch to PS3 and Xbox 360 IMO. They seemed to focus more on online and give offline the scraps from online. If I want to play a good Madden game, I'll play one of the old ones on my old PS2.

I have Madden 11 and it's okay and I have Madden 13 and I find it terrible offline. No normal offline season mode, no normal offline Career mode, etc.

IbjBaeE.png

Got NHL 15 preordered for PS3. Gonna wait until there's an exclusively PS4 game I really really want before I get the PS4.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Totally agree, that was one of my favorites of all time. Even had a modded version on my old computer a year after they stopped making it. Even the NCAA versions were good. I was very disappointed when I had to move to 2k.

Anyways... anybody here play OOTP Baseball? It has to be one of my favorite sim games with everything being customizable (sp?). Very fun to be able to create a whole team or league to your liking, also lets us design fans do what we do best and be imaginative and creative. Would love to be in an online league, but have never tried it.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Madden games haven't been the same since the switch to PS3 and Xbox 360 IMO. They seemed to focus more on online and give offline the scraps. If I want to play a good Madden game, I'll play one of the old ones on my old PS2.

It's the current trend for all subsequent video games. Thanks to digital rights management, future games require you from the get-go to have an online subscription to even play the basic part of the video game. Options to play offline are slowly being phased out to one of downloadable, paid-online gameplay.

It's one of the reasons why I've stayed away from XBOX One (that, and the fact that a competent MLB game isn't being made for the console).

Am I the only one who's kinda ticked off that PS3 and XBOX 360 owners such as myself (I own a PS3, not an XBOX 360) are getting screwed over by game companies focusing mostly on next generation consoles (PS4, XBOX One)? It doesn't really seam like they make many graphical improvements for older consoles. For example, MLB 14 The Show on PS3 looked pretty similar to MLB 13 The Show on PS3, graphically wise. Not everyone can afford to go out and spend $500 on a newer gaming system.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Am I the only one who's kinda ticked off that PS3 and XBOX 360 owners such as myself (I own a PS3, not an XBOX 360) are getting screwed over by game companies focusing mostly on next generation consoles (PS4, XBOX One)? It doesn't really seam like they make many graphical improvements for older consoles. For example, MLB 14 The Show on PS3 looked pretty similar to MLB 13 The Show on PS3, graphically wise. Not everyone can afford to go out and spend $500 on a newer gaming system.

I agree with you. I just hope that FIFA 15 for PS3 is somewhat close to being on par with the PS4/Xbox one version.

This has always happened. With every new generation of consoles, game manufactures will focus heavily on the new consoles versus the older ones, as they should.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

No, that's the price you pay for not upgrading. That's like saying you want your dvd player to show you the same picture as a Blu-ray player because you can't afford to upgrade. Even though they are the same movie, I want the Blu-ray to be better because I made the investment.

Obviously they are going to make the game less impressive compared to the XBOX one version. Put in some flashy new features, even though they may be even removing several features (FIFA 14 on XBOX one had several missing features. It did have pretty substantial graphical differences, but obviously nowhere near the graphical change that was xbox and ps2 to xbox 360 and ps3.). It takes away the motivation to buy the first XBOX one and PS4 early if they don't 'focus' on their newest product.

Archived