Least-inspiring championship teams

Unocal

2007 New York Giants. They may be the first and only SB champ in my lifetime that did not have a statement/impressive/resounding home win of any kind (Their 3 home wins came against the lottery-bound Jets/49ers and an Eagles team that had an off year). Who was their best win- Washington in week 3? At least the 2011 team had a decent resume of wins.

This team seemed to only give a damn on the road save for the NE week 17 game. Eli Manning basically was good Rex Grossman (save for 1 pass play to Toomer, he threw for about 110 yards)- he basically did not screw up. He won a title by doing what Grossman should have done the prior year.

And it's not like their secondary or rushing game was lights out- they lived and died by the pass rush.

2007 was such a fun season- excellent teams, great individual performances. But given what Dallas/Green Bay and even the Patriots/Colts other teams gave us all year, I felt a little cheated that THIS was our SB champ.

NBA- I'm gonna surprise you here, but the 2010 Los Angeles Lakers. They were literally a 5-man team with zero bench that beat deeper Phoenix/Boston teams, but got enormous benefit of the doubt because of, with apologies to the Yankees, mystique and aura. This was when Phil/Kobe was at its most unbearable.

NHL- 2009 Penguins. IMO, maybe the most overrated Cup champ of my lifetime. They only got home-ice in round 1 because Philly lost to the Rangers. Fell behind 2-0 in the playoffs twice. Lucked out with Boston's round 2 loss and getting ECF home-ice. Had no wing depth, yet basically seemingly couldn't be knocked out.

I'll agree with you on the 2007 Giants... sorta. I mean, they did end up defeating arguably the greatest team ever fielded, thwarting the first 19-0 team in NFL history. So, the way they actually won their sport's respective championship game was very inspiring. It was like a David/Goliath sorta deal. Ya know, just the story of a little guy overcoming a big rival because the bigger guy got outwitted. It just makes people feel good. Anyway, the point is, people were inspired by their huge accomplishment in defeating the best team ever. Now, if the Patriots would have lost the AFC Championship and the Giants went on to play the Chargers in the Super Bowl, I'd be more inclined to completely agree with you.

By your logic, you could say that the 2011-2012 L.A. Kings were an "uninspiring" team to win the Stanley Cup that year because during the regular season they actually lost more games than they won (40-27-15). However, I'd say that they were a very inspiring team because of this. They went into the playoffs as an 8th seed and proceeded to take a 3-0 series lead in every single series in the entire playoffs, Stanley Cup included. They only lost four times in their whole championship run. That, by definition, is pretty inspiring.

I absolutely agree with you on the '09 Penguins. The Stanley Cup series against Detroit was the only playoff series I've watched in any sport where I think the refs may have been throwing the games. If the games weren't thrown, it was by far the worst officiating I've ever seen. Pittsburgh definitely got lucky.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

The Stanley Cup series against Detroit was the only playoff series I've watched in any sport where I think the refs may have been throwing the games.

Looks like someone doesn't watch the NBA!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Stanley Cup series against Detroit was the only playoff series I've watched in any sport where I think the refs may have been throwing the games.

Looks like someone doesn't watch the NBA!

Which by no means is a bad thing. I applaud anyone who avoids watching the NBA. ^_^

25yzwqg.png

The Devils. Each and every time.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Devils. Each and every time.

Whatever on the first two, but the success of the 2003 Devils gets me down. No one should have beaten the Senators that year. I look at that roster and my eyes go starry.

The '03 Devils were a weird team. Terrible offense, but a defense that was tailor-made for hockey of that era.

Lucked out in playoff matchups- had they not pipped the Flyers for a division by a point, they'd have played battle-tested Toronto instead of second-half death spiral Boston.

Got playoff neophyte Tampa Bay, basically dead-pucked their way past Ottawa and Anaheim.

I have never ever seen a goalie do less for his shutouts than Brodeur did that spring. He didn't have one of those "He singlehandedly stole this game" moments ala, say, Tim Thomas game 2 Philadelphia 2011.

He got 7 shutouts to break Hasek's year-old playoff shutout record, but Dom earned his shutouts a lot more impressively. Brodeur barely was facing 20 shots a night in his shutouts.

That was basically right team at right time.

And this may ruffle some feathers, but if they don't win the Cup that year, I don't think Pat Burns makes the HHOF. The lack of a Cup or SCF appearance could have left him out. Up to that point, he had never won the big one.

Sigh.

---

The OP and I have actually had several good discussions on this form of topic on Twitter, mostly about baseball. I think I've shared some of that here before, so I'll only go for an abridged version here:

The wild card era of baseball, where-in the three-tier format was introduced and three divisions were divvied up, has really only helped to allow more not-as-good teams to squeak into October, and then wreak havoc on the best-of-5 opening round that baseball has irrationally used since 1995 and, during their postseason makeover beginning in 1998, didn't bother to amend (for reasons that escape me). In this century, 14 teams have posted 100 wins or more in the regular season, and more than half of them were knocked out in the first round. We've had more teams win the World Series with win totals between 83-87 games (2000 Yankees and 2006 Cardinals) than teams who won the World Series winning triple digits. Maybe it would've been boring to most people, but from an idealistic "this would've been the best matchup for this era" POV, there really should have been more than just two World Series meetings between the Braves and Yankees between ~1996-2003, as far as I'm concerned. Shouldn't have happened in 2000 (Yankees were lousy) or 2001 (Braves were lousy), but any other year in that time span would've been very conceivable; we only got it twice. The freaking Marlins won more World Series titles between 1991-2005 than the Braves did, and they only made the playoffs twice. I don't get why we are supposed to be embracing this kind of stuff. Randomness breeds competition and variety but competition and variety do not necessarily breed quality, and I'd rather have quality rather than anything else.

The introduction of the second wild simply means that now there's even more randomness, where the Angels might conceivably finish #2 in the AL in WP% and miss the playoffs! I'm not going to miss Bud Selig, at all.

Huh, that wasn't what I had in mind when I said this would be "abridged"!

spacer.png

The introduction of the second wild simply means that now there's even more randomness, where the Angels might conceivably finish #2 in the AL in WP% and miss the playoffs!

please show yr work

2002 Lakers. Had neither a GOAT regular season (2000) or postseason (2001). Lucked out against a better team (Kings) and prevented team basketball from taking over the NBA.

The 00-02 Lakers almost inspired me to punch a hole in the wall. They shouldn't have won any titles. Most annoying NBA champs ever.

They won because the West teams were heartless, and because the East was a dumpster fire.

The Blazers choked in Game 7 in 2000, and while the officials had their say, the Kings choked in 2002. Bill Simmons said that everyone on their team but Mike Bibby looked scared to death.

When SA got their act together in 2003 (Bruce Bowen emerged, and Ginobili came over), and the Lakers played the D in 04, their nonsense was over.

I would also put the Pats from 01, 03, and 04 in this as well. There were some iffy championship teams in the early-00's.

2002 Lakers. Had neither a GOAT regular season (2000) or postseason (2001). Lucked out against a better team (Kings) and prevented team basketball from taking over the NBA.

The 00-02 Lakers almost inspired me to punch a hole in the wall. They shouldn't have won any titles. Most annoying NBA champs ever.

They won because the West teams were heartless, and because the East was a dumpster fire.

The Blazers choked in Game 7 in 2000, and while the officials had their say, the Kings choked in 2002. Bill Simmons said that everyone on their team but Mike Bibby looked scared to death.

When SA got their act together in 2003 (Bruce Bowen emerged, and Ginobili came over), and the Lakers played the D in 04, their nonsense was over.

I would also put the Pats from 01, 03, and 04 in this as well. There were some iffy championship teams in the early-00's.

The West was more "heartless" in the 80a- try 8 of 10 Finals and streaks of 4 straight and 3 straight conference championships?

2014 Dodgers

I believe you mean National League Champs, right? Because the Tigers are going to win the World Series, and it most certainly will be inspirational.

Anyways: 1998 New York Yankees

1996 and 2001 Colorado Avalanche (Ray Borque leaving the Bruins in order to win the Stanley Cup for himself has to be the most overrated moment ever in hockey)

1995 and 2003 New Jersey Devils (even though I wasn't even born yet in '95, the fact that the Devils defeated one of the best Red Wings teams ever still makes me sad)

2003 Florida Marlins (it should've been the Cubs, but they choked like usual)

1999 Dallas Stars (Hull's foot was in the crease, but no matter, both he and Dominick Hasek teamed up to bring the Cup back home to Detroit in 2002)

2006 St. Louis Cardinals (that World Series was supposed to revive Detroit and bring the city together) *cries a little*

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Uh....

the 1998 Yankees are widely considered one of the best teams of all-time.

The 2001 Avs team was dominant and the 1996 Avs are an underrated Cup champ

1999 Stars were a very good team- Buffalo quite frankly should have scored more than 1 goal in games 5-6

Did the 2008 Stanley Cup revive Detroit and bring the city together? Did the 2004 Pistons? Wasn't there a Michigan State championship somewhere in there? God, how much revival do you people need? Maybe it's time to try a new method!

Archived