– UPDATE – Rochester Americans Rebrand

Go Red Sox!

1OldRochersterAmericanlogo_zpsa2250194.j

Rochester Americans primary logo (since 1959)

Hi guys! Here's my latest concept, this time for the AHL Rochester Americans. As usual, feedback is appreciated.

Update includes:

– All white stripes now contour to the edges of the respective logo

– Stars now on home and road uniform

– Initial logo now on alternate uniform

The Rochester Americans are one of the oldest and most traditional ice hockey teams of the entire American Hockey League. Giving such a team a refreshed look requires to meet a significant criterion: namely to not water down the Americans distinctive value of brand recognition.

2RochesterAmericanslogopresentation_zps3

Rochester Americans Logo System

3LogoPresentation_zpsf6b68528.jpg

PRIMARY LOGO

The new primary logo continues to incorporate the basic bold shape of the original 1959 patriotic badge. The team name is now depicted by a cleaner, upgraded script typeface to gain better readability. The three stars, plus the five red and four white stripes, are equally essential features of the Americans which were modernized in order to give the brand a cleaned-up, bolder and fresher look without changing the team's recognizable identity from the ground up. The word "Rochester" has been added to emphasize the pride of the city's affinity for one of the oldest and most iconic ice hockey teams in the AHL.

The Rochester Americans team colors will be midnight, patriot red and white.

4Primarylogo_zps1e848080.jpg

Rochester Americans new primary logo

"AMERKS" PUCK LOGO

The "Amerks" puck logo is a round, large eyecatcher on the foreside of the new alternate uniform Rochester will wear this upcoming season at home games on several occasions. It features the colloquial name of the team that the Americans have been known for since decades.

5Secondarylogo_zps46b0579b.jpg

Rochester Americans new "Amerks" puck logo

INITIAL LOGO

A jaunty and energetic R – featuring the famous three stars – is the new initial logo of the Rochester Americans that will be part of the new alternate uniform.

6Initiallogo_zpsfad32d76.jpg

Rochester Americans new initial logo

CIRCULAR LOGO

The circular features the team and city name in bold letters, including crossed hockey sticks partly surrounded by three stars.

7Circularlogo_zpsa926db3e.jpg

Rochester Americans new circular logo

AMERKS PATRIOTIC BADGE

A badge-shaped logo with the team's famous nickname.

8Amerksbadgelogo_zps55386621.jpg

Rochester Americans new "Amerks" patriotic badge

9quot60seasonsquotlogo_zps8204d9d8.jpg

Rochester Americans 60-seasons-anniversary logo (2015)

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

10Homeuniform_zpsb6c4ac38.jpg

Rochester Americans home uniform

11Roaduniform_zps7a6a6f13.jpg

Rochester Americans road uniform

12Alternateuniform_zps040982ab.jpg

Rochester Americans alternate uniform (The new alternate uniform is a tribute to the cream-colored uniforms the Rochester Americans have worn for home games during their inaugural season of 1956-57.)

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

13RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation1

Apparel with primary logo

14RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation2

Apparel with "Amerks" puck logo

16RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation4

Apparel with "Amerks" patriotic badge logo

17RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation5

Apparel with word marks and initial logo

18RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation6

More apparel with primary logo

15RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation3

Apparel with word mark

19RochesterAmericansapparelpresentation7

More apparel

Amerks isn't a good abbreviation of the name, I'm not sure there is any way to make it shorter but Amerks certainly is not it, and normally teams dont have logos with abbreviations. You dont see pats logos, or anything like that. You see wordmarks like "sens" and bolts jerseys but that's it. I like everything else if you get rid of the Amerks logos

Amerks isn't a good abbreviation of the name, I'm not sure there is any way to make it shorter but Amerks certainly is not it, and normally teams dont have logos with abbreviations. You dont see pats logos, or anything like that. You see wordmarks like "sens" and bolts jerseys but that's it. I like everything else if you get rid of the Amerks logos

Thank you! I appreciate it.

The team is known as the Amerks (which is no abbreviation, but rather a nickname) since decades. That's nothing I've made up. For example the team's website is www.amerks.com!

...but "Amerks" is the nickname for the Rochester Americans.

Anyway, this is really good, though I don't find the "R" tertiary all that necessary. At least one shoulder should carry the Buffalo Sabres logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is really good, but there are some things that could be fixed. The way the white stripes interact with the bottom of the logos are very weird, like each stripe has the same shape and doesn't contour to the edges. I would also drop one of the Amerks logos, preferably the circle, but I can see why you don't want to depart with one of them. Presentation wise this is excellent, though.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Very cool! Although I agree that Amerks is kind of a lame abbreviation, it's the one they've used for years. This is some solid branding.

Thanks a lot. I also don't really like their nickname, but this has been their alternate name for a long time.

This is really good, but there are some things that could be fixed. The way the white stripes interact with the bottom of the logos are very weird, like each stripe has the same shape and doesn't contour to the edges. I would also drop one of the Amerks logos, preferably the circle, but I can see why you don't want to depart with one of them. Presentation wise this is excellent, though.

Thanks! Here is the primary logo with the white stripes now contouring to the edges.

Primarylogoedited_zpsc3ce9f69.jpg

Quite frankly I find this version compared to the original at least a little boring (I already did this pretty much in the beginning of the process). I just think that my version of the white stripes works better with the flowing "Americans" script typeface.

This is some top-quality stuff here. It's tough trying to craft a quality patriotic/"American" identity, concept or otherwise, without shading toward full-on jingoistic, but I think you've pulled that off here. Everything seems restrained, yet distinctive...and I love the way in which you crafted quality extensions of the brand i.e. the puck logos, alternate scripts, and such.

Quick quips:

- As one who struggles mightily with trying to create scripts, I must commend you on the execution of both the "Americans" and "Amerks" scripts. Extracting those three stars from the primary badge and adding them to the "Americans" script is a minor stroke of genius, and adds an extra dimension when that script is presented by itself.

- I can see BlackBolt's point about the white stripes and the way in which they interact with the bottom of the shield and circle. I don't necessarily have an issue with the curve at the bottom (that's a designer's stylistic perogative, one that I don't find particularly egregious here), BUT...if you're going to do that, all four should probably share the same curvature, if for no better reason than unity (discrepancies like that can stick out rather quick to the discerning eye--which most of us around these parts are, obviously. :P I'd recommend going with the curvature that's on the two outer stripes for all four, especially since those are going into two different shapes with different borders (shield vs circle).

- I'm not exactly fond of the "Amerks" shorthand, either, but at this point the team's been using it for so long its become a core element of their brand, so it ain't going anywhere (and as you've noted, it's even become their website name now)--and at any rate it's better than 'MURICANS...so good on you for recognizing it and including that in your brand extensions.

- The anniversary patch is exquisite, I think...really can't find any fault with that at all.

All in all, solid all the way around. (Do you have an online portfolio somewhere with other samples of your work? If not, this would be a good opportunity to set one up...this is worthy of a portfolio presentation.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I was going to say something about the stripes, but someone else already did and the update is perfect. Do that for the rest of the logos. I really like this a lot.

Thank you! I think I will do that. Why? Because the more I look at it, the more I like it. Sometimes it's hard to change certain parts of a concept, simply because you started to really like them over the course of the work process. But now, after looking at the (simpler) version of the white stripes for quite some time, I'm really starting to prefer the new one, although I've rejected it when I started my project a couple of weeks ago. I guess in this case (once again) simpler means better...

This is fantastic, I've been back to look at this 3 times. Being a longtime Syracuse Crunch fan I'm familiar with the Amerks. This is great update on a classic AHL team. I too want to like your previous logo but the simpler update may be better. Awesome work.

Thanks! Here is the primary logo with the white stripes now contouring to the edges.

Primarylogoedited_zpsc3ce9f69.jpg

That's what I like to see!

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

I do prefer the non-curved stripes better but the curved one isn't bad either. I'm not sure what the rules are for one shoulder patch being the NHL affiliate, but I'd like to see the "R" logo on one shoulder and the Roundel on the other. I believe if the team has 2 shoulder patch options, they don't need the NHL affiliate logo, so you should be good to go.

Good job cleaning it up though, I always found the logo looked weird on their jerseys. The only thing I will miss is the Star on the shoulder patch.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

The team is known as the Amerks (which is no abbreviation, but rather a nickname) since decades. That's nothing I've made up. For example the team's website is www.amerks.com!

Ok i dont follow too much AHL outside of going to acouple P Bruins games, if that's the case than these are great i like them a lot.

Thank you guys for all your constructive comments. I appreciate it!

I will update the white stripes on the respective logos as most of you have suggested. The white stripes look better now as they contour to the edges of the badge. The logo looks tidier now – and that's never wrong!

Archived