Quidditch Logo: The Orange County Obliviators

suplauren

Hi guys, back with another quidditch logo.

I was commissioned a few months ago to make a logo for a small, Harry Potter-centric community team based in Huntington Beach, CA. This was their basic idea for a logo:

J5gEhqV.png

Yes, they know they don't have the best drawing skills, haha.

Here's my first draft:

AS3t2dY.png

I was mainly having issues with colors and shading. Especially shading the snitch. Let me know your thoughts.

Good to see you back at it suplauren. While I like the design I also think it has room for improvement. Right now it reads more t-shirt design than logo to me. I'm thinking it's because you have several elements that seem placed and not flowing together with one another to give it that logo feel. I also think once you pull this logo together it will also help you with your light source issues. If that makes sense to you. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Thanks guys. I agree about the light source being the tip of the wand. I'll go back and try to fix it again. What should I do about the colors on the wings? I tried doing all the feathers and the "support" in both white and orange, but it just wasn't really working.

And Ren, I get what you mean about it not flowing. I think the team is going to almost exclusively use this as a T shirt/jersey design, which is why they want the O.C. and the quidditch on there. If it were totally up to me, I would cut out the quidditch and add in some more location-specific concepts, besides just the generic wand and snitch. Any suggestions on how to make it flow more? I think the O.C. is the clunkiest part.

kinda figured it was gonna be for a t-shirt. Wondering what it would look like if the wand was turned upright behind the snitch then your light source would be on the top part of the snitch. That might also allow you to better position your fonts & give the design a little more of a logo feel to it.

Looks pretty good!

Have you tried following the sketch a bit closer and having the wings bend back further, forming more of a circle? You could then enclose the rest of the logo within, but have Obliviators span across in front of the circle. This might help the logo flow together better.

Not sure if it would be an improvement but just a suggestion. Nice work though!

Hi suplauren, my thoughts and a suggestion, that is if you haven't already... Dig into the original meaning of 'Obliviators', stems from obliviate, which means 'forget' according to Merriam-Webster. Origin of 'obliviate': Latin oblivion, oblivio- oblivion + English -ate.

I like the hand-drawn logo of your client. It looks Japanese / Chinese. The stars look like Kanji / Chinese characters, the snitch looks like a Japanese TV / animation superheroes belt. The 'sword' even looks like a Samurai's Katana / weapon.

Obliviators in Japanese Katakana characters オブリビエイターズ

suplauren in Japanese Katakana characters サップローレン

J5gEhqV.png

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

kinda figured it was gonna be for a t-shirt. Wondering what it would look like if the wand was turned upright behind the snitch then your light source would be on the top part of the snitch. That might also allow you to better position your fonts & give the design a little more of a logo feel to it.

I actually just tried your layout idea, and I think if I put in another hour or 2 into it it would look pretty cool, but I've already put quite a bit of time into this logo and I have to move on to another client. But good suggestion, I may come back to it if I have time in the future.

Looks pretty good!

Have you tried following the sketch a bit closer and having the wings bend back further, forming more of a circle? You could then enclose the rest of the logo within, but have Obliviators span across in front of the circle. This might help the logo flow together better.

Not sure if it would be an improvement but just a suggestion. Nice work though!

I thought about it, but I don't want the Snitch to take up the majority of the logo, and I was having a hard time balancing the words and the snitch in a circle shape :/

My clients made some suggestions, and I followed them for this update. They asked for me to get rid of the stars and make the words parallel. I also tried to mess with the shading and get something that works.

ZVvth7k.png

I've been trying rally hard to shade the body of the snitch with the light source being the wand tip, but everything I try looks terrible.

Archived