Modern Uniforms That Are Better Than Their Counterparts

Red Wine Pirate

It's too easy to find an older uniform set that is better than it current modern set for almost every team in every league (regardless of the personal reasons why we feel this way). So what about the rare opposite? Which professional sports team looks better in their modern uniforms versus everything they ever had in the past?

I was almost going to go with my home team, the Devil Rays, because their current home uniform looks amazing in person and their original uniform was an ugly disaster, but I personally feel like their 2005-2007 set were the best, so that knocks them out.

Anyone?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's stay in Tampa.

The Buccaneers fit this thread (and the other one) perfectly as their "in between" uniforms are better than their old school AND their modern ones.

Creamsicles = meh

Warren Sapp era = beautiful

Modern era = double-gross farty diaper

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Minnesota Vikings' current set over their old ones and anything else they've ever worn.

The Miami Heat's current uniforms are miles better than each of their throwbacks.

Astros look far better in blue and orange than black and red.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The 2012-now Blue Jays are probably the best example. They took their best look (1989-1996) and gave it a proper modernization, taking all the elements in that set that worked and adapting them for modern sensibilities. Just add a white front panel hat as an alternate cap, and you'd have one of the top 5 looks in baseball.

Minnesota Vikings' current set over their old ones and anything else they've ever worn.

I would agree that the Vikings current is miles better than their past two uniforms, and maybe even better than the 70's, but if you go all the way back to the 60's, this...

fran_tarkenton_1964_10_01.jpg

is too beautiful for words.

If the Missouri Tigers would ditch the oval logo helmet and just use the one with the big tiger head logo their new set would be perfect. Also make the yellow/gold uni the home primary. Their old ones had lots of tradition, but their new uniforms were a perfect fit for the new era in the SEC. One team that Nike didn't screw up. Which is rare these days. Not sure if I should praise them or the athletic department though.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Yuck at the current Rockets. Gotta love those wide sleeves hanging off the shoulders right?

The current Heat for sure. The current Nuggets alternate owns everything in their history, though i loved their blue alternates during the Melo and Iverson era.

Though I'm more than grateful that the team is wearing the same(-ish) shade of green again..

This look:

701854347.jpgvaleri_nichushkin.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo

..is miles ahead of this one:

33315-1590262Fr.jpgMikeModano1994.png

And light-years better than this one:

ribeiro_home250.jpg032413_morrow-300x202.jpg

...even the old man agrees:

dallas_stars.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.

Saying it's better than the college level or lower worthy workmark jersey and that blah black stars jersey it's saying much.

To stick with the franchise time in Dallas, do you think it's better than this one?

NS_20StarsI_3666657_511919.JPG

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Okay, so it wasn't a double post..
Ill re-type what I thought I had up then.

It's hard to call the current look better than the Star patterned uniforms, because of all of the success the team had wearing them.
Countless playoff appearances, highlighted by two finals trips and a Stanley Cup make them hard to find fault in.

But strictly because the team dropped their relatively bright shade of Kelly in favor of Forest Green during the 90's era of "Black for Black's sake", and went so far as to rip off an All-Star game uniform to get the design, I would call the modern look the better one.

To sum up my post:

940x.jpg
Is better than:
STANLEY+CUP_2606094_977687.JPG

(That all being said, if the current management were to bring back a "fauxback" of the Cup era sweaters with Victory Green and Silver in place of Forest Green and Mustard gold for something like an Outdoor game- I would not be against that at all.)

5amlwx.jpg

It's hard to call the current look better than the Star patterned uniforms, because of all of the success the team had wearing them.

Countless playoff appearances, highlighted by two finals trips and a Stanley Cup make them hard to find fault in.

On-ice success (or failure) does not make a uniform design good (or bad).

It's an interesting question, so I decided to look at the four major North American sports.

I was surprised by how few teams, in my opinion, are wearing their best uniform now.

I have a feeling that the opinions will generally vary by the age of the person - younger people will like more of the current uniforms and older people will not.

Anyway, here's my list, in no particular order:

MLB

Seattle - a lot of people think that their look is stale, but I think it's a classy uniform, and I like the navy blue/teal color scheme for them

Atlanta - when they're not wearing those "navy blue "t-shirts"

Toronto - a great update of their originals

LA Dodgers - timeless

Pittsburgh - when they're not wearing their black tops

NBA

Golden State - like the Blue Jays, a great update - unique without looking silly

NFL

none - I didn't anticipate that when I started to look at the NFL

NHL

Dallas - not perfect (I'm not a fan of their main crest), but better than anything they've worn in Dallas

Nashville - the gold home uniforms really pop and the pointless piping from their originals is gone

NY Rangers - like the LA Dodgers, timeless

Archived