UAB Football Uniform Re-do

WESPN

I'm not sure if you guys saw this or not this week, but my alma mater, UAB, released a new helmet and uniforms this week. And I have to say, they may have won the award for worst helmet in college football. Thankfully, Indiana keeps that at "may" and not "definitely". Nonetheless, I took an hour or so this afternoon to correct what my Blazers screwed up. For reference, the new uniforms/helmet can be seen below.

BvCbB5bIIAAuyld.jpg

Here's a video that shows the "reveal" for a look at the road set. You can fast forward to the 1:30 mark to see the players debut it.

The uniforms themselves aren't so bad. I have a few bones to pick about them. Like why does the home pant have no stripe while the road pants do? The sleeves should be gold to complement the helmet and pants instead of white, and the scales are WAY too big/obvious. On the road set, the numbers should be green so that our SIDs don't go crazy trying to spot players.

So having said that, I took the opportunity to tweak/re-do my Blazers unis.

UABHome.jpg

The home set basically addresses everything that I mentioned above. A stripe with scales was added to the pants, and the sleeves were changed to gold. After talking with the designer of the new helmet, he told me that dragon scales were a requirement. But in my design, instead of adding them to the helmet, I added them to the sleeves, pants stripes, and numbers. I'm a major traditionalist when it comes to helmets, so I did away with the two toned color scheme, oversized logo, and corrected the logo to one that's actually official instead of that reversed out logo. Also added a stripe down the center. The helmet also alludes to an era of Blazers football that wasn't so inept.

UABRoad.jpg

The road set essentially the same, just with a white jersey. But like I mentioned above, the numbers were switched to green.

UABHomeAlt.jpg

There's also a gold alternate that introduces a set of white pants.

Now, on the heels of those, I experimented with an alternate helmet for my dream world that uses the UAB Baseball "B" logo as the primary logo for all sports. I think it looks great on a football helmet and allows for more flexibility with uniform combinations because it doesn't utilize the red and goldenrod flames that ruin a helmet any other color than gold (it's okay on white, but I don't love it).

UABHomeAlt2.jpgUABRoadAlt2.jpgUABRoadAlt.jpg

I'm eager to read your opinions on both the new set and my tweaks to it. Go Blazers!

I must say I really like these. I don't hate the new helmets, but think the jerseys were bad. But I really like what you did here. I just don't think the B logo works very well for the helmet. If I knew more about UAB's other logos I could suggest a different option...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Completely agree with Clintau. The helmets aren't terrible, no way the worst in college football but they aint good in anyway. The jerseys however are pretty crappy, but I love how you simplified them. They look much better!

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I really like these. My only problem is you have to look really close to see the scale pattern. I would make them bigger so that they stand out more, otherwise there's no reason to have them IMO.

Also, I've never liked the fact that UAB uses a predominant amount of red and yellow in their awesome logo, but nowhere on their unis. I think using one of them as a highlight color would give them a pretty sweet and unique look.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. kewp80, I kind of have the opposite take on the red and yellow. I feel like since it's never in the uniforms it shouldn't be in the logo haha. Plus it seems as if UAB can't decide whether they want to be "gold" or "yellow". Kind of like Baylor.

Archived