A Sad Day for Hockey Fans...

BRUINSFAN

Car fire victim identified as former Olympian

The Capital-Journal

Published Monday, October 8, 2007

Authorities have identified the person whose body was discovered Friday morning in a burned-out car as Edwyn Robert “Bob” Owen, 71, of Topeka.

The Shawnee County Coroners Office said the cause of death was smoke inhalation, thermal burns and severe heart disease, according to a news release this morning from Lt. Martha Lutz of the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office.

The car fire was called in about 5 a.m. Friday by the crew of a Union Pacific train who reported seeing a vehicle fully engulfed in flames as the train passed over Soldier Creek.

An investigator from the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office said the cause of the fire was undetermined, though it probably was accidental, associated with the vehicle’s hot catalytic converter coming in contact with dry grass, starting a fire that spread to the vehicle.

Owen was a member of the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team that won the Gold Medal in the 1960 Winter Olympics. He had lived in Topeka for more than 40 years.

Related story... http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/10261547.html

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

I'm sure every hockey fan in Topeka has a heavy heart today with the loss of Bob Owen...

I got to know Bob a few years ago when we had the ScareCrows here...

He always said "Hi" to everyone and loved to meet the kids...

He would always ask, "Do you play..."

Bob loved to talk hockey...he loved the game...

He will be sorrowfully missed by all who had the great pleasure to know Bob...

The lights at the arena will be a bit dimmer this season...but maybe a little brighter too by Bob's memory...

A final tap of the stick for E. Robert Owen...1960 Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medalist...

You will be missed but not forgotten...Rest in Peace, my friend, Rest in Peace......

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Archived