Dice Racing - Introducing the WRS: Crude Race animation test

Guest darkpiranha

Guest darkpiranha

Thanks, Sparky.  There are tons of great designers here, but it was your vintage Highlanders set with all of the videos and merch and other stuff (and everything you've done since then) that's really inspiring me for this project.  As silly and nerdy as some of the things we all create can be, there's something about taking it to the next level (such as with stadiums and merch and yearbooks and videos) that strikes a chord, in me at least.  It makes the concepts come alive.  I'm aiming to see if I can make the silliest of sports concepts (dice racing) feel like its a real thing that exists in the world.    

When's your next creation on the way?

• 3 weeks later...
On April 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM, darkpiranha said:

Thanks, Sparky.  There are tons of great designers here, but it was your vintage Highlanders set with all of the videos and merch and other stuff (and everything you've done since then) that's really inspiring me for this project.  As silly and nerdy as some of the things we all create can be, there's something about taking it to the next level (such as with stadiums and merch and yearbooks and videos) that strikes a chord, in me at least.  It makes the concepts come alive.  I'm aiming to see if I can make the silliest of sports concepts (dice racing) feel like its a real thing that exists in the world.    

When's your next creation on the way?

Hi darkp...It's great to hear that my work has inspired someone...Probably the best compliment I could have. Thank you.

...And what's next with this idea?...The development of teams?

I hope it's still on-going because it's such a unique concept.

It looks fantastic so far.

Guest darkpiranha

It's definitely still on-going, but I've decided to hold off on posting everything except things (like the initial logos) that I'd like immediate feedback on.  When I'm ready, I want to roll it all out in one fun consistent series.  The best series on these forums have all been mostly completed before beginning to post them, so that's what I'm going to try to do.  

Next up for things I'm going to want feedback on are individual league logos (think AFC and NFC, or NHL and WHA), as well as distinctive design styles for the various subdivisions of the overall league structure.  Then it's flat templates for uniforms and teams. Then 3D models for the teams.  Then I'll start working on some individual teams.  Many of the teams I've created for this league (which has been for my eyes only the last 30 years) have been bastardizations of real team logos, clipart I've found on the web, and whatever else amused me.  While those logos have become beloved part of my personal interaction with this league, I realize I'll need to re-imagine some of the logos and make them more my own.  While I'm not all that worried about being accused of stealing logos (since I have no intention of the logos representing my work or using them in any real-world situation), a major part of this project is to force me to learn more fully how to use programs I'm less familiar with, like Illustrator, Cinema 4D, and Sketchup.  Each of those older logos will remain a part of the history of each team, but the "new" Dice Racing will fully comply with the real-world ethics of logo creation, lol.  

Archived