dsaline's Logolympiad Entries

dsaline97

I may as well join in on the fun.

I was fortunate enough to place third in medals and fourth in points (missed the podium by just five!) in this year's Logolympiad. I was pretty surprised to medal in some of these events, it took pretty much the whole week to come up with a concept in my head. I'd love to hear your thoughts on all the entries I submitted this year!

Event 1: Anniversary Patch

3r6GDqZ.png

Honestly, I thought this was worthy of a medal and was a bit disappointed to have missed out. Originally, it said "YEARS SINCE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" which would have been a much more patch-worthy event, but since the Buffs won the championship for the 1990 season, it technically wasn't eligible. I thought the combo of the custom number font with the Boulder Flatirons made a strong concept, but I guess the date appears a little tacked on.

Event 2: Wordmark

8uBvddZ.png

I forgot about this one until Thursday night, and while I had the idea the whole week, it looks pretty rushed in the end (rounded vs angled strokes, for example). The fact that I had to use all four colors was pretty tough, as I thought the concept could have easily been simplified to two. The whole thing feels pretty unbalanced, but hey, it got the votes I guess.

Event 4: Crossover

xD9kUIr.png

This one was tough because I know nothing about hockey uniform design. I tried to emulate the stripes in the logo on the sleeves, like everyone else did in their Timbers entry. I debated using the script "Timbers" wordmark they wore in the past, but nixed it because it didn't feel "hockey" enough. I imagine it was two safe of a design to be considered, but I really like the white sweater on this one.

Event 5: League Logo

yLLv3Pl.jpg

Another one I was hoping would medal. The ball coloring comes from the old ABA ball, but the colors came out all muted when I converted it to a PNG, which is a shame. In an ideal world, the logo would be used without the full name, giving it that simple, iconic look. Looking back, some of the lines in the ball could be cleaned up and evened out. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Event 6: Alternate Uniform

siQUCPJ.png

Again, I have no clue when it comes to designing hockey uniforms, but I pulled out a medal in this one. In hindsight, the Scottish plaid doesn't really fit for a German hockey club, but I thought it was a good out-of-the-box idea for a contest.

Event 7: Company Logo

ahvL4TM.png

I was pretty proud of this one, and I'm happy I medaled in it. It probably would have been improved if Virtucon Industries was stacked on top of each other instead of linear, and I'm still not sold on the color scheme. Honestly, I the monochrome version is strong enough by itself.

Event 10: Time Warp

BiEKztn.png

The concept here was to go with a board shorts design, playing off of the club's nickname. The biggest struggle was trying to make the crest seem like something that was designed in 2016 as opposed to just a flat-out modernization. 

Thanks for all the votes, and thanks to Pollux for running another great competition!

spacer.png

Archived