Cleveland Cavaliers Chinese New Year Uniform Concept by Scheuer

Scheuer

title.png

I'm a huge fan of the NBA's Chinese New Year alternate uniforms. I think its a really cool and unique way to reach out to a different audience abroad. I knew that this year I wanted to make a Chinese New Year concept uniform for a team. I was thinking first about making one for a team with a large immigrant Chinese population, such as New York or LA. However, I started thinking about designing a uniform for the Cavs. This seemed a bit weird to me at first because Cleveland doesn't have the same connection to China any of the other teams with Chinese New Year alternates might have. However, they are the defending world champs. They have a chance to branch out to a new market in China with their recent successes. The Cav's colors also work perfectly with the red and yellow often seen around the New Year celebrations.

I first wanted to design some sort of alternate logo for the uniforms. I played around with a bunch of ideas, but I settled on the logo below.

bluelogo.png

"Cavaliers" is written in red simplified Mandarin script with a gold outline. The sabre that is in the "C" alternate logo is in the background, and transitions to being in front of the second character for some more contrast. It's a pretty different logo for the Cavs, but I think it works pretty well.

Now, for the uniforms. I wanted to do something similar to what the rockets have done with their Chinese New Year uniforms, by keeping the template and colors pretty much the same except replacing the English script with Mandarin script. Here are the uniforms. 

blueuni.png

I based my design off of the navy alternate jersey that Cleveland has. "Cleveland" is spelled in red Mandarin script with a gold outline. The red number with gold outline is in its normal position underneath. On the back of the jersey, the alternate Cavs logo lies underneath the collar. Under the back number is a special year of the rooster logo I designed for this concept. The shorts are the typical Cavs shorts except with the alternate logo in place of the "C" logo. All in all, the uniforms are your typical Cavs jerseys except with some new logos and wordmarks mixed in.

Hope you enjoyed my concept! Any C&C and feedback is welcomed! If anyone is celebrating Chinese New Year, have a good holiday!

Archived