Super 14 expansion...

Brian in Boston

Any of our Aussie brethren have a gut feeling as to which market - Melbourne/Victoria or Perth/Western Australia - has the edge in landing one of the two expansion franchises when Rugby Union's Super 12 becomes the Super 14?

Also, where are the South Africans planning on establishing their fifth side in the competition?

look at my sig, i supporting a Victorian side.... i reckon that Victoria will get it because of $$$$$$$$$ the money is in Melbourne and Sydney (Sydney already have a Super 12 team)

the other bidders were:

Townsville, QLD

Gold Coast, QLD

Central Coast, NSW

Adelaide, SA

but they all got cut (Adelaide was the only serious contender from these 4, as it is a provincial league, ie only 1 team from each state- except for NZ where i don't about their provices/statesz etc)

The downside in Melbourne is that they are trying to enter an over populated AFL city....but Victorian inclusion would help the Melbourne Storm (NRL) and Melbourne Victory (A-League) lobby for the State Government to upgrade Olympic Park or build a stadium for rectangle pitch sports...

Perth may get it if they have enough $$$$$$$ to do it.....many South Africans live in WA so they may get some fans to the games

As for the South African entry, i don't know....well i hgeard something brefily a while ago but no final desicion has been made, the ARU will announce the Australian entry on Dec 10

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived