Tank Stumper 7/19/2005

NJTank

This one may be the hardest yet. I'm not even sure of my answer. So I just picked Atkinson because I saw that his first year was also the year he threw his first no hitter (1884).

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Wilson Alvarez.

Alvarez started a single game for the Texas Rangers in 1989. He faced five batters and gave up three earned runs on three hits (including a pair of home runs), while walking two batters. He left the game - and, for the time being, Major League Baseball - with an ERA of "infinity". He was also credited with the loss.

His next big-league start would not come until 1991. In the interim, Alvarez had been traded to the Chicago White Sox organization. On August 11th of 1991, Alvarez was the starting pitcher for the White Sox in their game against the Baltimore Orioles at Memorial Stadium. Entering the game with a Major League Baseball ERA of "infinity", Alvarez proceeded to no-hit the Orioles in just his second big-league start.

Wilson Alvarez.

Alvarez started a single game for the Texas Rangers in 1989. He faced five batters and gave up three earned runs on three hits (including a pair of home runs), while walking two batters. He left the game - and, for the time being, Major League Baseball - with an ERA of "infinity". He was also credited with the loss.

His next big-league start would not come until 1991. In the interim, Alvarez had been traded to the Chicago White Sox organization. On August 11th of 1991, Alvarez was the starting pitcher for the White Sox in their game against the Baltimore Orioles at Memorial Stadium. Entering the game with a Major League Baseball ERA of "infinity", Alvarez proceeded to no-hit the Orioles in just his second big-league start.

I remember watching that game growing up...When he got the final out, he looked at the sky almost apologetic after what he accomplished. Pretty impressive feat for a second ever start.

Archived