General help in designing a sports logo

jameek

Hi Folks,

I come from good old germany, I am a 27-year old designer and I?m very interested in all your very beautiful american sport-logos. Right, it?s not a special team itself which fascinates me, but the graphics of many teams. I have to admit that your sport-design is very awesome and that there is not even one european team (except NHL Europe) that has such a stylish logo than e.g. Austin Rangers.

You have the talent of minimalism and dramatization (not just in politics *g) that lead to this unique designs. (If you take a look at german soccer teams you?ll see what I mean).

So what?s the problem?

I?d like to put the spirit of some sportteams in some upcoming logos made by me (not sports!). But I have a big problem in finding the right font. I see that nearly all logotypes of american sportteams are handmade, but surely there is a basis font. Something like ?Univers Bold Condensed? or so. Do you have any hints which font I could use? (should be very bold and a bit aggressive). Is there any ressource where I can get football/hockey/basketball-fonts?

And of course I?d be thankful for any suggestions about designing such cool logos as for example: Dallas Mavericks, Fordham, StoneyBrook Seawolves...

Thank you very much

christophe

ps: thank you very much for this site, chris! I spended several hours in watching awesome cool sport logos of teams I never heard about before. It's such a joy for me ;-)

Archived